Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brad Watkinson

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Dewsbury Rams received the surprising news at the end of last week that New Zealand centre Brad Watkinson had decided to stay in New Zealand rather than make his expected return to The Rams.

Brad was recommended to the club by former Bradford Bulls player Joe Vagana and he cemented a regular place for himself in last season’s line up. Brad had agreed a contract to return to the club for 2014 but for personal and family reasons has decided against it which we fully understand.

Dewsbury Rams would like to than Brad for his services last season and wish him well for the future.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#2 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

All the best to Brad,at least this might give Glenn some time to look for a replacement if needed before the start of the season.

#3 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Jesus season ain't even started yet

And the revolving door is already squeeking...

;)

#4 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Can't blame the lad, family does come first!

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Good luck to him, but I was surprised that we offered him another contract. There must be local players around who could do the same job.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Good luck to him, but I was surprised that we offered him another contract. There must be local players around who could do the same job.

Got to agree - good honest trier, but might have struggled to make the team if Glenn signed another centre. Out of curiosity, as a bit player for an NRL feeder team, how come he got a visa - or don't regs apply to Kiwis and Aussies ? - just asking.

Good luck Brad.

#7 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

The lad had started to look quiet useful towards the end of the season.

#8 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Got to agree - good honest trier, but might have struggled to make the team if Glenn signed another centre. Out of curiosity, as a bit player for an NRL feeder team, how come he got a visa - or don't regs apply to Kiwis and Aussies ? - just asking.
Good luck Brad.

Quite probably he held Tongan/Samoan/Cook Island citizenship or similar - despite being born in New Zealand. Looked pretty disappointing whenever I saw him play so won't be a loss for you guys. I'm sure that Morrison claimed that he had been chased by Super League clubs when he signed for you? In truth, he looked about a million miles away from that standard.

Edited by TheTerminator, 19 November 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#9 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Quite probably he held Tongan/Samoan/Cook Island citizenship or similar - despite being born in New Zealand. Looked pretty disappointing whenever I saw him play so won't be a loss for you guys. I'm sure that Morrison claimed that he had been chased by Super League clubs when he signed for you? In truth, he looked about a million miles away from that standard.

Yeah - still unclear on the rules though. Kane Epati couldn't get a visa to return a few seasons ago, and Chris Aiton can't get one now. Neither could Joe Bond who we may or may not have been chasing, but Brad Watkinson, with no apparent international pedigree could - just find it confusing.

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

I think the Epati issue may have been that he didn't play enough games over here during his latter seasons to warrant his VISA being renewed? Chris Aiton, despite Papuan heritage, hadn't played at a level above amateur status (either in England or Australia) so wouldn't have been able to gain access as a 'professional sportsman' - i.e. someone who was capable doing a better job than a native. Brad Watkinson, despite his limitations, played at a professional level in NZ with an NRL affiliated club. All very complicated stuff....

Edited by TheTerminator, 19 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Posted Image

#11 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yeah - still unclear on the rules though. Kane Epati couldn't get a visa to return a few seasons ago, and Chris Aiton can't get one now. Neither could Joe Bond who we may or may not have been chasing, but Brad Watkinson, with no apparent international pedigree could - just find it confusing.

We had joe bond signed for whitehaven for the 2012 season with tommy butterfield both couldn,t get visas because they hadn,t played for PNG 3 years prior to signing which is a shame coz they,re both class acts surprised they never made this years world cup squad joe signed for brisbane broncos last season and i believe tommys signing for them next season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users