Good Aussie Rules mark

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Not a fan of the sport really but love there aerial marks like this.

#2 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't follow or really understand the sport, but I know this was a great piece of skill.

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Surely this kind of catch is fairly commonplace, to my view the defender makes it easy for the catcher by providing a stable platform on which he levers himself.

Aussie Rules is a good occasional watch, but it lacks something to my mind.  It's basically a lung burning kicking and catching whilst on the run contest.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#4 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Surely this kind of catch is fairly commonplace, to my view the defender makes it easy for the catcher by providing a stable platform on which he levers himself.

Aussie Rules is a good occasional watch, but it lacks something to my mind.  It's basically a lung burning kicking and catching whilst on the run contest.

The mark is the highlight of the game but you will start to see Aussie Rules coaches maybe drift over to the Rugby code esp when you see what Folau has been doing lately as well as Billy Slater.

Years ago the Aussie rules lot nearly got in bed with the NSWRL lot for a hybrid game that could of changed Rugby league in England but sadly for (Australia's sake) it never happened but in the so called code war down under I could see both Rugby codes using AFL style marking and kicking which will make both codes more attractive but can not see Aussie Rules adding any more rules to convert the Rugby fans.

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Maybe league but not union. The ARU can't just adopt rules and expect everyone else to follow their lead.

#6 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Maybe league but not union. The ARU can't just adopt rules and expect everyone else to follow their lead.

Not sure after watching Folau doing some great thing in the air this year for the Wallabies.

#7 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

The mark is the highlight of the game but you will start to see Aussie Rules coaches maybe drift over to the Rugby code esp when you see what Folau has been doing lately as well as Billy Slater.

If that's the highlight of the game, then the Aussie's are welcome to it.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Not sure after watching Folau doing some great thing in the air this year for the Wallabies.

Coaching techniques are one thing but the laws of teh game are something else. The IRB make the laws not the ARU. If the ARU had much say in the laws then the ELVs would have been adopted wholesale (especially since NZ and SA also backed them). Nobody other than Australia has any interest in Aussie rules.

#9 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Coaching techniques are one thing but the laws of teh game are something else. The IRB make the laws not the ARU. If the ARU had much say in the laws then the ELVs would have been adopted wholesale (especially since NZ and SA also backed them). Nobody other than Australia has any interest in Aussie rules.

I am not taking about charging the rules ( but did want the ELV's to stay) but just using high jumping technique as well as kicking from Aussie Rules would be any added advantage for an Rugby team.

Edited by 808tone, 22 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#10 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

I am not taking about charging the rules ( but did want the ELV's to stay) but just using high jumping technique as well as kicking from Aussie Rules would be any added advantage for an Rugby team.

This has already happened - compare RL games now to those from 40 years ago and both tactics and techniques around attacking kicks are massively different. It is also clear that the technical changes have been adopted from AFL.

Most (if not all) RL coaches - especially those from the SH - would agree with this. It's not a controversial viewpoint.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#11 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

This has already happened - compare RL games now to those from 40 years ago and both tactics and techniques around attacking kicks are massively different. It is also clear that the technical changes have been adopted from AFL.

Most (if not all) RL coaches - especially those from the SH - would agree with this. It's not a controversial viewpoint.

Agree and just puts another entertaining aspect value on Rugby League/Union.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users