25 replies to this topic

#1 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Nice to see the nrl head honcho with an outward looking attitude
http://m.smh.com.au/...1115-2xm77.html
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#2 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Power in world sport is where the money is and it is very promising that one of RL's top administrators is looking beyond the end of his desk for a change

#3 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

Good to see that he is looking at best practice in other sports. How much of this though is him looking at making the NRL stronger rather RL on a global scale.

It is rather concerning that he doesn't seem to have any meetings lined up with the RL heirarchy in the UK. If he does, surely that would warrant a mention in the article?

#4 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I seem to remember reading that there is a RLIF meeting in London this weekend.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#5 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think it would go without needing to be said that he will be speaking to the RFL in the lead up to the final

I think the RFl news that the RLEF/RLIF will take responsibility for developing nations like the Celts means the NRL must now play a proactive part in those organisations, and the RFL wouldn't cast out the Celts without a safety net. As dumb as they can be I think even the RFL are not that incompetent.

This guy is THE major mover and shaker in world RL and he is over here. There are no coincidences.

#6 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

First class all the way. Meanwhile we have kids in the outback needing head gear and shoulder pads

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hope his vision is for the wider game of rugby league and not just the NRL. I expect we will look back on this moment in a few year's time and recognise that it was a pivotal moment in the history of rugby league.

I just hope we aren't reflecting about it, in the same way people often reflect about 1995 and what should have happened with rugby league in Wales.

#8 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

First class all the way. Meanwhile we have kids in the outback needing head gear and shoulder pads

head gear and shoulder pads were never provided when my boy played here in Canberra. Why should they be provided in the outback?

#9 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Why would the CE of the NRL be focussing on anything but the NRL?

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Funding is available from the RLIF. Apparantly. ;)

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, you could do what a player over here has done for his native PNG and get clubs to donate gear. 

#12 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

First off, let's not forget the guy is Welsh. Secondly, he is the best thing that has ever happened to rugby league.

I have followed his progress since he begun, yes he cops a lot of Criticism from the aussie press, ignore that and look beyond and you see a man with passion and vision.

Here is one example that you can see with your own eyes the results.

He came in and banned the Biff, during Origin mind you. He knows the game will never grow if that is rugby leagues future.

Next he banned the Shoulder charge, again he did not want mums seeing their kids stretchered off the field because the rules allowed this to happen.

Results, now this is where you can see results, and most have not noticed.

This world cup, ? it has gone from a sport, a code played by thugs, to a code that is brutal, fast yet fair, and players who can come together and honestly have not one bad feeling, even after a bit of biff.

Biff happens, you will never get rid of the biff, and i dont thing Dave Snmith wants that, he just wanted rules to say, dont think out game encourages that sort of behavior.

Dave Smith is going to grow the code internationally. and if you follow him, his progress on the ground, you can see his mind ticking over.

He has already been in England at this World Cup. he is back in England again.

This man, this Ceo is probably the best thing to ever happen to rugby league, why, because he knows the world and he has vision, and he cares little for Australian press.

In 30 years time he will be our codes great white hope.

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.

And what makes this even more impressive is they are all governed by a commision, who are even more passionate about the game.

The Commission.

Rugby leagues future starts now.

You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Rugby league is now in safe hands.  

#13 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

First off, let's not forget the guy is Welsh. Secondly, he is the best thing that has ever happened to rugby league.
I have followed his progress since he begun, yes he cops a lot of Criticism from the aussie press, ignore that and look beyond and you see a man with passion and vision.

He came in and banned the Biff, during Origin mind you. He knows the game will never grow if that is rugby leagues future.
Next he banned the Shoulder charge, again he did not want mums seeing their kids stretchered off the field because the rules allowed this to happen.

This world cup, ? it has gone from a sport, a code played by thugs, to a code that is brutal, fast yet fair, and players who can come together and honestly have not one bad feeling, even after a bit of biff.
Biff happens, you will never get rid of the biff, and i dont thing Dave Snmith wants that, he just wanted rules to say, dont think out game encourages that sort of behavior.

Dave Smith is going to grow the code internationally. and if you follow him, his progress on the ground, you can see his mind ticking over.

This man, this Ceo is probably the best thing to ever happen to rugby league, why, because he knows the world and he has vision, and he cares little for Australian press.

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.
And what makes this even more impressive is they are all governed by a commision, who are even more passionate about the game.
The Commission.
You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Bold words!

Are you his mum or publicist?

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

He has put together directly under him a group of 7, now these seven senior people are the best in the land.

The Commission.

You need only look at Fiji, and lets not forget, they went from 100 thousand a year to 1 million a year in under 10 years.

Not only massive criticism from the Media but also the majority of the Fans, he is not the best fit for the role in most peoples opinion.

#15 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Not only massive criticism from the Media but also the majority of the Fans, he is not the best fit for the role in most peoples opinion.

I need to check what LeagueFreak thinks.  :ph34r:

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Why?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Most people are idiots. He is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia (and nz) in a long time. He has vision and knows how to grow a business. The nrl is in safe hands!

#18 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

majority? Rubbish.

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

Most people are idiots. He is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia (and nz) in a long time. He has vision and knows how to grow a business. The nrl is in safe hands!

Why?

What is his vision, jumping castles?

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

majority? Rubbish.

He may be a decent businessman but he has no roots in the game he is a Welsh Rugby Union man and I think many fans believe there are plenty of shrewd business people who know and love this game rather than this man.

Getting half the media offside is hardly a great move normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users