Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is cycling getting more or less dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Plenty on London news about cycling deaths at the moment, I'm not sure I'd want to cycle in London at the best of times, but during dusk and now the darkness of the winter months I think I'd give it a miss all together.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-24987425

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Accidents are going up, fatalities are going up.  Per mile cycled you're three times more at risk here than in Europe.

It's down to a number of factors, the majority of which are nothing to do with how well, or legally, cyclists are riding.  Red light jumpers are a small proportion of the whole, and anyway, aren't the people being hit and killed.

Key factors, for me, are: universal law-breaking and standards failure amongst HGV drivers (police regularly find 100% of lorries are not road-worthy or have drivers breaking the law - when they can be bothered to check); relatively poor awareness of good cycling, and why cyclists might be riding aggressively or strangely (by perception); woeful infrastructure that puts pedestrians and cyclists into conflict with things that will kill them; even worse infrastructure (Bow Roundabout) which gives cyclists the illusion of safety but which is going to kill them regardless of anyone's blame; pathetic enforcement of road offences; laughable sentences for the road offenders that get to court; judge/juries accepting SMIDSY or similar as a valid reason.

Last night was the first night in a while I cycled across London to get home.  For various reasons I haven't had to.  I felt, for the first time in a long, long time, properly nervous and having had one car pull out of a side road causing me to brake hard (he'd seen me but couldn't wait 2 more seconds for the clear road behind me) I decided to walk the rest of the way to the station.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

In London, the typical driver, cyclist or pedestrian has the same awareness of their immediate surroundings as the average mineral.

I've lived here since I left school, and I'm still surprised on a daily basis by the jaw-dropping imbecility of what is supposed to be the most intelligent species on the planet.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

It's not just in London; the highway code is abused the country over, and whilst it doesn't always impact the immediate safety of road users and pedestrians, it does portray a general lack of respect and understanding of the laws of the road.  

I live about 2 miles from a motorway exit, I suspect on my drive home through the outskirts of a small town and into the more rural area where my house I see over a hundred illegally parked cars (usually wheels on the pavement), one or two illegal number plates, a couple of illegal sets of lights/darkened windows, at least one car jump a set of lights, and no end of speeding motorists.

Cyclist are vulnerable, and drivers need to be aware of this.  I'm a cyclist, and I choose my routes very carefully.  I shouldn't have to, but that's the choice I make.  

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

It's not just in London; the highway code is abused the country over, and whilst it doesn't always impact the immediate safety of road users and pedestrians, it does portray a general lack of respect and understanding of the laws of the road.  

It's not just in London, but in my experience, it seems worse there.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

It's not just in London, but in my experience, it seems worse there.

I wouldn't disagree with this.  

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

In London, the typical driver, cyclist or pedestrian has the same awareness of their immediate surroundings as the average mineral.

The debate about cyclists is hiding a bigger debate about how unfriendly and dangerous the place has become for the majority who do not drive - and, of course, the majority of those walk.

As an experiment, should you be in London, try crossing Marylebone Road when the green man comes on and at a normal walking pace getting to the other side before the red man is back.  You can use any one of the crossings between Marylebone station and Great Portland Street.

There were at least 2 fatalities on Marylebone Road crossings last year.  In one of the cases it was the second time the driver had killed someone, and the second time he got off.

- Severus, July 2012

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

The debate about cyclists is hiding a bigger debate about how unfriendly and dangerous the place has become for the majority who do not drive - and, of course, the majority of those walk.

As an experiment, should you be in London, try crossing Marylebone Road when the green man comes on and at a normal walking pace getting to the other side before the red man is back.  You can use any one of the crossings between Marylebone station and Great Portland Street.

There were at least 2 fatalities on Marylebone Road crossings last year.  In one of the cases it was the second time the driver had killed someone, and the second time he got off.

Marylebone Road/Euston Road are just terrible. Given how bad it is I just can't get over the number of  cyclists you see along there. In the relatively few times a year I use it I have seen a number of accidents involving cyclists. Only one I have seen appeared to be the fault of the cyclist; happened opposite St Pancras  station a guy on the bike rode straight into an elderly lady at a pedestrian crossing when the pedestrians had the green light). 

Edited by Griff9of13, 19 November 2013 - 10:42 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Marylebone Road/Euston Road are just terrible. Given how bad it is I just can't get over the number of  cyclists you see along there. In the relatively few times a year I use it I have seen a number of accidents involving cyclists. Only one I have seen appeared to be the fault of the cyclist; happened opposite St Pancras  station a guy on the bike rode straight into an elderly lady at a pedestrian crossing when the pedestrians had the green light). 

The direct cycle for me would be from Marylebone station to the corner of Regent's Park along Marylebone Road.  I've done it once.  It was - and I will break the sweary filter for this because there are no other words - ****ing terrifying.  I now take a bit longer going via back roads either through Marylebone village or around the park - but neither is direct and you can feel vulnerable in different ways (i.e. the park is unlit for long stretches, the village is a rat run).  Thing is, if you're going east/west on a direct route there's not really much option other than Marylebone Road.

Like I say, a lot of the time it's the fact of the conflict and infrastructure.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

You do know that the Chariman is back in town don't you?

You're spot on about Euston Road, it's like a starting grid when the lights change.

#11 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

I lived in London (Uxbridge) for 20 years, working for most of that in central London, & I used to cycle to/from different places to work, it is difficult sometimes, but if you obey the rules you should be OK if you keep your eyes, ears & wits about you. The problem with what has happened in the last couple of weeks is appaling, but part of the problem lies in the Cycle "Superhighway", cyclists feel safe on it, thats what it's there for, but when you come of it many inexperienced cyclists forget they are on open road again.

Wearing shades & having music playing while cycling in London is tantamount to writing a suicide note, it reduces your awareness of your surroundings.

I never, ever, ran a red light, not even when late, respect for idiot drivers.

Two of my favourite runs were to Guys Hospital, through the City, and to Kings, across Vauxhall bridge, around Vauxhall cross, and round the Oval, cycle lanes all the way to Kings, and near stationary traffic to Guys.

(The Royal Marsden was another favourite, downhill all the way from Paddington, through Hyde Park & Exhibition Road)

Riding down Oxford Street is near impossible, there are too many pedestrians who see something shiny on the other side of the road, and try to cross between still traffic, and step out right in front of you

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Riding down Oxford Street is near impossible, 

And has got worse now they've narrowed the road in the name of safety.

- Severus, July 2012

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I cycled up Beverley Road in Hull yesterday, it's one of the busiest roads in the city. The most dangerous thing for me was potholes and the consequence of trying to avoid them.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I cycled up Beverley Road in Hull yesterday, it's one of the busiest roads in the city. The most dangerous thing for me was potholes and the consequence of trying to avoid them.

Pot holes aren't a problem in London, the streets are paved with gold there.

Actually thinking about it, perhaps the golden road surfaces are a contributory factor for the dangerous antics down there.  I bet Boris or any of his highly paid advisors have thought about this.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 19 November 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

A thing

- Severus, July 2012

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

That should persuade him! 

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Man writes thing that won't be read.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Man writes thing that won't be read.

Says man writing on an internet forum.

- Severus, July 2012

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Says man writing on an internet forum...without being aggressive, insulting, offensive and excessively verbose.  

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Says man writing on an internet forum...

This could go on for quite some time.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users