Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is cycling getting more or less dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

true...but not as long as that 1000 word missive!

This just in: new motoring offence!

driving without due care and attention to the disappointment of cycling campaigners.

see Emma Way

Edited by JohnM, 19 November 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

driving without due care and attention to the disappointment of cycling campaigners.

What does that even mean?

She's doing nicely out if though.  TV appearance all lined up for ITV tomorrow.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

This could go on for quite some time.

It won't.  I've got a gig later, with my band, with whom I'm touring.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

It won't.  I've got a gig later, with my band, with whom I'm touring.

Are you transporting your instrument by bike?

- Severus, July 2012

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,037 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal.

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Way refused to comment as she left court, saying she had signed an exclusive television deal.

Going on Daybreak, in fact.

Nice little earner.

- Severus, July 2012

#27 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm not sure whether cycling's become more dangerous or not.  In London there are certainly far, far more cyclists than there were ten, even five years ago - and the more people who cycle, the safer it can often be.  Generally I've now made a policy of switching to back roads where possible - amazing as it sounds, I can often get from Islington all the way to, say, the Olympic Stadium or Borough Market hardly being passed by a single car if I choose my route carefully.  Alternatively, when cycling into work, I have little choice but to go through Holborn, Covent Garden, and Trafalgar Square (I'm used to it, but it must be terrifying for an inexperienced cyclist).  Whitehall's then a breeze.  But I don't envy anyone who has to deal with Westminster Square / Bridge - they are almost designed to kill people on bikes.

#28 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

What does that even mean?

She's doing nicely out if though.  TV appearance all lined up for ITV tomorrow.

She's lost her job, so not that nicely.

She's clearly a horror, and Daybreak should know better.

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Went for a 27 mile (1100 ft climb) cycle the other week and saw just three cars (and no, I didn't have my eyes shut!).

24 years ago I used to do all my cycling on the Pennine moors near my home in Milnrow, except for one day when I cycled along Wildhouse Lane towards Hollihgworth Lake. The traffic was so heavy and fast that I thought I was going to die every split second as a car squeezed past.

So my cycling has definitely got safer!

That said I have just started using my 'winter bike' (fixed gear) and a couple of days I was coming down this steepish road...

forgot that I couldn't just coast...

my feet were kicked off the pedals and I just about regained control before crashing into Methven Moss at the end of the hill.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

There was some analysis on the BBC's London news last night, I am on tour with my band and that's all that is on offer. Essentially it said that cycling is a lot safer now than in the 1970s (much like sitting on a radio presenters lap) but that in the Netherlands it's way safer than here.

So it's getting/got safer, but we're lagging well behind countries that treat the issue seriously.

This is becoming a big issue for Boris.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 20 November 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#31 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Went for a 27 mile (1100 ft climb) cycle the other week and saw just three cars (and no, I didn't have my eyes shut!).

24 years ago I used to do all my cycling on the Pennine moors near my home in Milnrow, except for one day when I cycled along Wildhouse Lane towards Hollihgworth Lake. The traffic was so heavy and fast that I thought I was going to die every split second as a car squeezed past.

So my cycling has definitely got safer!

I disagree. Your risk avoidance has got better.

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Are cyclists never responsible for accidents

Riding without lights, wearing dark clothing especially at night, undertaking traffic, jumping red lights, seem fairly common from what I've seen 

There seems to be a culture of being a law unto themselves anarchists without the gets who ride on the pavement and the mountain bikers who ruin footpaths in the countryside

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Are drivers never responsible for accidents?
Speeding, talking on mobile phones, too busy chatting to look at the road, drink driving, jumping red lights, seem fairly common from what I've seen
There seems to be a culture of being a law unto themselves anarchists without the gets who do hit and runs and the Chelsea tractor drivers who tailgate everyone and anything to intimidate them.

Edited by SE4Wire, 20 November 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#34 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Riding without lights, wearing dark clothing especially at night, undertaking traffic, jumping red lights, seem fairly common from what I've seen
There seems to be a culture of being a law unto themselves anarchists without the gets who ride on the pavement and the mountain bikers who ruin footpaths in the countryside

Something of a leap Frank. I'd suggest that speeding and using a mobile whilst driving are far more prevenlent.

All the campaigns I've seen around this have recognised the obligation tht cyclists have to obey the Highway Code.

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Are drivers never responsible for accidents?
Speeding, talking on mobile phones, too busy chatting to look at the road, drink driving, jumping red lights, seem fairly common from what I've seen
There seems to be a culture of being a law unto themselves anarchists without the gets who do hit and runs and the Chelsea tractor drivers who tailgate everyone and anything to intimidate them.

they certainly are

By the way I don't drive

Keeping it local

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Something of a leap Frank. I'd suggest that speeding and using a mobile whilst driving are far more prevenlent.

All the campaigns I've seen around this have recognised the obligation tht cyclists have to obey the Highway Code.

I agree

And gave posted many times about irresponsible drivers

Keeping it local

#37 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think you will find walkers cause massive amounts of damage to the countryside , not mountain bikers .

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

I think you will find walkers cause massive amounts of damage to the countryside , not mountain bikers .

I live next to woodland and open countryside have lived here for 30 years
Two foot wide tracks have become eight foot wide quagmires by mountain bikers

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 21 November 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Keeping it local

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,109 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Statistically, not that often.  In accidents involving motor vehicles and bikes where fault can be found it's overwhelmingly the driver's fault.  There are occasions where it's both or neither but even allowing for them in more than half of cases it's the guy behind the wheel to blame.

- Severus, July 2012

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,863 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Statistically, not that often. In accidents involving motor vehicles and bikes where fault can be found it's overwhelmingly the driver's fault. There are occasions where it's both or neither but even allowing for them in more than half of cases it's the guy behind the wheel to blame.

I'm sure you're right
But you do see a hell of a lot of irresponsible cycle riding going on
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users