4 from 6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

The biggest decision regarding team selection that Steve McNamara seems to have is who to pick in the half/ hooker / utility bench role. This seems to be the biggest talking point on here and in general when I'm out with fellow league supporters. Has McNamara already decided who his strongest 4 selections are or do you think he still doesn't know?

Basically 4 from 6 players is the conundrum he is being faced with. Sinfield, his captain, widdop, chase, burrow, Roby and mcillorum the 4 players in question, all with strengths and weaknesses and all capable of putting their hand up and doing a creditable job. A winning job being required.

The question is which 4 should he go with, my selections being widdop 6, sinfield 7, Roby 9, burrow 14, if all are fully fit. Nz need to be broken down and all these players can upset nz by being clever, smart effective kicking game, play on front front with pace and guile and also stick to structure. Like I said all have weakness too but I still think they're our best options with the squad selected.

Any thoughts, basically 4 from 6.

#2 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

The biggest decision regarding team selection that Steve McNamara seems to have is who to pick in the half/ hooker / utility bench role. This seems to be the biggest talking point on here and in general when I'm out with fellow league supporters. Has McNamara already decided who his strongest 4 selections are or do you think he still doesn't know?

Basically 4 from 6 players is the conundrum he is being faced with. Sinfield, his captain, widdop, chase, burrow, Roby and mcillorum the 4 players in question, all with strengths and weaknesses and all capable of putting their hand up and doing a creditable job. A winning job being required.

The question is which 4 should he go with, my selections being widdop 6, sinfield 7, Roby 9, burrow 14, if all are fully fit. Nz need to be broken down and all these players can upset nz by being clever, smart effective kicking game, play on front front with pace and guile and also stick to structure. Like I said all have weakness too but I still think they're our best options with the squad selected.

Don't disagree with you, but I'd be very surprised if it isn't 6 - Chase, 7 - Sinfield, 9 - McIlorum, 14 - Roby

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

I agree with both of you. I'm not quite getting the hang of this internet, am I?
People called Romans they go the house

#4 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Don't disagree with you, but I'd be very surprised if it isn't 6 - Chase, 7 - Sinfield, 9 - McIlorum, 14 - Roby

Sorry, this is OT but when did this term 'I don't disagree' become an acceptable use of English!

You surely just agree with him.

Rant over.

Now OT

I'd go with Chase Sinfield Roby Burrow

If we'd seen more of Widdop I would probably replace Chase with him.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sorry, this is OT but when did this term 'I don't disagree' become an acceptable use of English!

You surely just agree with him.

Rant over.

Now OT

I'd go with Chase Sinfield Roby Burrow

If we'd seen more of Widdop I would probably replace Chase with him.

I don't not disagree with not that.

I think

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

I don't not disagree with not that.

I think

I don't disagree with that that you don't disagree with, it isn't disagreeable to me.

#7 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised either if this was his choice. Is it the best, most balanced and effective option, now that's another question. I think he's got an easy option to just stick with 'plan a', maybe, hopefully it'll work, but don't forget mr McNamara this is one chance semi final rugby league, and one chance only. The decision needs to be right, with all eventualities covered. Ie injuries, score line and discipline issues covered.

Hope he gets it right.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Are England's problems at half-back?

I know that's where we always go, but have they really been that bad? Isn't it more some poor defensive decisions / technique and a lack of real aggression in the go-forward?

We weren't exactly banging the French around the park on Saturday were we? Yet we're supposed to have this massive pack, that is a match for the Kiwis'.

#9 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Looks like the 4 from 6 I picked is right now the 19 man squad is picked. Now mcnamaras conundrum of who plays where. I still think he'll go sinfield and widdop starting halfs, Roby starting 9 with burrow coming off bench, maybe around the 30 minute mark for Roby. Whether he slips in at 9 or sinfield moves there is another question.

What are the thoughts of others? Is this mcnamaras best solution or will there be another twist and 1 of this 4 doesn't make the 17, leaving bigger personnel to fill out the bench.

Decisions, decisions.

#10 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

This time I both agree and don't disagree with you!!

As you suggest i think (and hope) it will be 6- Widdop, 7 - Sinfield, 9 - Roby, 14 - Burrow.

I think Farrell plus one of Mossop and Ablett will miss the cut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users