Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Northern food in London

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

They also do mean black or blood puddings in the Canaries.

Chips n cheese seems to be relatively recent?

Chips'n'cheese? Not heard of that, unless you mean something like the Canadian dish poutine.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

My daughter has chips and salad cream, or preferably mayonnaise. God knows where that came from.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

My daughter has chips and salad cream, or preferably mayonnaise. God knows where that came from.

The Belgians serve mayonnaise or garlic mayonnaise with frites. Very nice combo, which I also enjoy from time to time. 

Salad cream, however is Beelzebub's sputum.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Belgium

Also popular in Norfolk for many years

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Bludwurst in Germany, Salami de sangue in Italy, Morcilla in Spain.

All introduced to the various countries by the originators of the black pudding, the Romans. Each country now has it's own variation developed over the passing millennia. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

All introduced to the various countries by the originators of the black pudding, the Romans. Each country now has it's own variation developed over the passing millennia. 

I think the point of the linked article is that Bury is considered the place for the English style of black pudding.

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

I think the point of the linked article is that Bury is considered the place for the English style of black pudding.

Yes.  That and hepatitis.

I'm in Brussels at for the next couple of hours, I'm trying the chips.

#28 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

It is. I have a real liking for the Scottish style as well. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#29 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm in Brussels at for the next couple of hours, I'm trying the chips.

Waiting for the ferry back to Hull?

Can't say I blame you, City of Culture tha knows.

Your band playing the Sunset show bar on the Pride of Bruges by any chance?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#30 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,087 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

The Belgians serve mayonnaise or garlic mayonnaise with frites. Very nice combo, which I also enjoy from time to time. 

Salad cream, however is Beelzebub's sputum.

The Belgians are really into their chips with mayo, an excellent combo. In Brugges they even have a chip museum.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#31 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

It is. I have a real liking for the Scottish style as well. 

Can't beat a Stornoway black pudding.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#32 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

I've rarely been to London, but on one occasion we were in Indian near Wembley. I ordered a Chicken Madras - and chips! Everyone in the place turned around with a look that said "####ing northerner!"

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

The Belgians are really into their chips with mayo, an excellent combo. In Brugges they even have a chip museum.

They also like smoking. Almost as of its a competitive sport. Filthy devils.

#34 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

When I went to the Magic weekend in Edinburgh, the chip shop near the hotel was open at midnight and the two lads in front of me had deep-fried pizza and chips.

Up against that, I would place Raja's in Bradford. Their Lamb Masala Pizza is really good.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

When I went to the Magic weekend in Edinburgh, the chip shop near the hotel was open at midnight and the two lads in front of me had deep-fried pizza and chips.

Up against that, I would place Raja's in Bradford. Their Lamb Masala Pizza is really good.

always had a white pudding and chips with salt and sauce when I lived in Edinburgh.

black pudding supper when I lived in Glasgow. 

Wouldn't touch the fish and chips in either city with a barge pole.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

always had a white pudding and chips with salt and sauce when I lived in Edinburgh.

black pudding supper when I lived in Glasgow. 

Wouldn't touch the fish and chips in either city with a barge pole.

I had haggis last night. That's pretty Northern!

#37 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Clerkenwell pub, The Gunmakers, is having a "Jocks and the Geordies" themed beer festival next week, with beers sourced from the north east and Scotland. If it's anything like their last north east themed beer fest. they'll have things like Pease Pudding on the menu. The landlord is from South Shields.

When I moved to Wigan/Leigh a few years back, the local delicacies and terms for a "bread roll" took me by surprise. My query at a bonfire as to what "Black Peas" were had the tea bar in stitches.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users