Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Format

post World Cup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

The new format is due for duscussion after the World Cup. I sent a letter to the RL Express supporting our chairman and his opposition to Leneghan and his rebels. What do you think the new format will be after discussion? Will our plans be scuppered in the new debate or will Hetherington and like voices obtain one of the proposed new league structures. Which would you like?

#2 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Don't think it matters what the fans want it has never stopped them in the past doing what they want

#3 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

I like the proposed new 12-8 split....they seem to have done their research and i like the sound of it.....cas, wake, london etc are much closer to us, sheff eagles and leigh than wigan and leeds and wire and it makes sense to me to have a middle tier split where the top of KPC and bottom of SL battle it out.

I don't know the details of the rebels agenda but it may be more to do with wresting power from the RFL than what is actually being proposed regarding the league format.

Commercially i don't think the RFL have performed too well so in that regard they may have a point.

Either way as long as there is promotion and relegation in one form or another i'm not too bothered.......like it or not it's part of the uk sporting culture and the game is boring without it.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_23_at_14_53_05.jpg

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Twelves and eights is a bit like endless World Cup groups - you start off in a twelve, looking to qualify for an eight in which you try to qualify for next year's twelve in order to get in another eight ..... there's no end to it.

Coupled with that, there doesn't seem to be a proper outcome at the end of the season.  Someone said somewhere that the $uperleague 2 champions were - and I quote - "obviously" the team that finishes top of the middle eight.

Probably a $uperleague 1 side then.

Great. :(

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

If we get a take over bid from Lenighan and Co and it suceeds. They seem to be wanting all the funds for top SL clubs, do you reckon our investors from overseas will disappear. To some extent we have invested big money. If there is no promotion will FN take his bat home or will we carry on in the Championship, as probably a feeder club under the Lenighan regime.

#6 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Let's hope that doesn't happen..........i don't think the top teams in super league are gonna get any bigger............the only way to take the game forward is to invest in grass roots so more people want to play and watch the game.

We need a bigger base to the pyramid not a shinier top.

If that means the overall standard goes down and our top players go to the NRL then fine.....we'd have a better england team and the international game is far more important that super league for growth of the sport and attracting commercial interest.

Screen_Shot_2014_09_23_at_14_53_05.jpg

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Interesting news today in the Yorkshire Post. London Bronco's go into Administaion. Details of that followed and then right at the bottom of the article one last sentence. 'Featherstone Rovers have offered to take their place' Perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Administration of course in this respect means that someone is appointed to handle the clubs affairs in order to stop a creditor taking funds and assets. It just delays the effect.

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

However there is fairly recent legislation that allows the company to have a buyer before Administration. It is called 'Prepackaged Sale in Admin' This can leave some creditors high and dry. It does however if passed allow the company to continue trading 'in the best interests of all parties'. We shall see.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Don't worry - the RFL will prop up London as they did the Bulls.

#10 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Think your right Griff. The owner will be part of the new buy out if SL place is confirmed. Like the confidence of our board though in saying we are ready to take their place if needs be.

#11 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,028 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Like I posted on the general forum I honestly think the domnestic issues from the game will continue to drag on... and on... and on...
Those who want licencing are never going to come together with those who want a return to P&R.

The positiveity of the world cup will gradually die down and we'll be left arguing between ourselves, making post n counter post on here and facebook...
The haves will continue to exclude the have nots and so it will go on.

'Creditwhereitsdews' made a pertinet observation on the general forum... i.e. the performance of the smaller nations in the world cup. Their inclusion for me has made the competition a huge success. The World cup being an inclusive competition..

Quite the opposite to our domestic administration!!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#12 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

You are right about the success of the World Cup. I still feel down that we lost in the last 20 seconds. If only.....

#13 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Two stupid penalties equals two tries J.C.Only ourselves to blame unfortunately

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

I can understand Rovers fans wanting the 2 x 12, 3 x 8 format because on paper it gives 4 chances to get in to the top 12 the next season but in reality the 4 SL clubs "should" have the upperhand. Whereas the 2 x 12 with promotion for one club is a guaranteed place for the top Championship club and Rovers have the wherewithall to make sure that club is them.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Add a stupid head tackle in the last 30 seconds and you have said it asll Saddleworth

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I can understand Rovers fans wanting the 2 x 12, 3 x 8 format because on paper it gives 4 chances to get in to the top 12 the next season but in reality the 4 SL clubs "should" have the upperhand. Whereas the 2 x 12 with promotion for one club is a guaranteed place for the top Championship club and Rovers have the wherewithall to make sure that club is them.

Exactly, Keith.  People get carried away and start to see it as four up, four down whereas the chances are it'll be none up, none down.

#17 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Let's hope the discussions come to some rational answer. Otherwise a lot of money spent for nothing.

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

There was always that risk.

#19 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I just cannot get my head around this P and R fiasco. Now the press are stating that if a club is promoted from our league they would be looking for a dispensation of three seasons to settle in and avoid relegation. How on earth can that work when P and R has been accepted by other clubs. Another end of season squabbles and legal battles?. 

As we stand at this moment, all the talk about us taking a spot in SL is, IMO a pipe dream, in fact, I think steering clear of the upper echelons along with all the ifs and buts is the most sensible course to take at the present moment.

#20 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

There seems to be a lot of negotiation to come between Lenighan his sidekicks and the rest. For the good of the game I hope it is straight forward and fully agreed on.