Photo
- - - - -

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

Well done to Hull on being voted the new city of culture. Time now to show the detractors that Hull can be seen in a different light. Enjoy your year. 

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yes congratulations Hull.  I assume Tracey Lazenby will be giving some kind of acceptance speech later.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yes congratulations Hull.  I assume Tracey Lazenby will be giving some kind of acceptance speech later.

One BBC News presenter seemed shocked that Hull had won the vote over Dundee, Leicester and Swansea, as it the city was not worthy!

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 November 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I kept this quiet as i did not want to destroy Hulls chances. Now i can reveal that I and Mrs John are planning to visit the museums, art galleries and pubs of Hull any day soon.

Edited by JohnM, 20 November 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

It depends what you define as "culture". I've been on the late bus back to Bransholme on a Friday night. That was a "cultural" experience and a half!

Joking aside, whenever I've visited Hull (wife's family is there) I've enjoyed it. The people are welcoming, the museums and galleries are good and the history is very interesting.

Congrats Hull!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

I kept this quiet as i did not want to destroy Hulls chances. Now i can reveal that I and Mrs John are planning to visit the museums, art galleries and pubs of Hull any day soon.

It will be interesting to see what both Hull FC and Hull City organise. I'm sure they will get in the spirit of celebration. 

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I am glad that Hull got it. Bradford was in the running for it a few years back, a city that desperately needed it and also has an interesting history to boot. I think it went to Liverpool. Because as we know, Liverpool has had nothing spent on it since the 80's. Now its probably too late to rescue Bradford.

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

I am glad that Hull got it. Bradford was in the running for it a few years back, a city that desperately needed it and also has an interesting history to boot. I think it went to Liverpool. Because as we know, Liverpool has had nothing spent on it since the 80's. Now its probably too late to rescue Bradford.

The City of Liverpool is now coming under severe criticism for some new buildings that are uninspiring to say the least, and out of character with such as the Liver Building. Some say it's destroying what has been achieved.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 November 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

You'll be finished by 11am. Plenty of decent pubs to admire afterwards though.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

No truth, apparently, in the rumour that one of the exhibits at 'The Deep' is Stanley Gene's first fishing rod, as rescued by scuba divers. ;) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

#12 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

One BBC News presenter seemed shocked that Hull had won the vote over Dundee, Leicester and Swansea, as it the city was not worthy!

Seeing the list of the competition explains a lot. I've not actually been to Hull but have been to Dundee, Leicester and Swansea and no disrespect to Hull, but that's not exactly setting the bar very high beating that lot.

28m391z.jpg

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Ahem, ahem...(clears throat.)

I'd like to thank you all for voting today, this means an awful lot to me and, obviously, everybody else in Hull.

(Aside from that miserable tw@ two posts above.)

I'm too choked up at the moment to read out my speech which I had ready because clearly we're the greatest.

If I can pull myself together, I'll be back later, got to go as my car alarm is sounding.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#14 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Any rerd I'm really pleased fer my Hull friends,they'll be getting their own terds ;) Will have to get on the rerd & visit one day #culture

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#15 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Surely a rugby league based play involving the life story of Hull's finest son John Prescott is in order as part of its year of culture!!.... I'm getting right on that one now.. Working title of "Little Prezza of the red robin riddings".

#16 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Apologies for omitting Hull KR which seems to have been missed by other posters!  ;)

Edited by Saint Billinge, 20 November 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Apologies for omitting Hull KR which seems to have been missed by other posters!  ;)

No apologies needed mate, noticed and much appreciated.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#18 Chairman M

Chairman M
  • Coach
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yep fair play to Hull and congratulations from this Leicester lad.

Leicester Saint

#19 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

Time to move maybe?

How about Immingham, or Grimsby?

#20 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Time to move maybe?
How about Immingham, or Grimsby?

even worse! moving is not really an option. I have kids who are settled at school, a wife with family, and my family. I may be accused of being miserable but I am not selfish.
I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable ######, although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

Edited by ehbandit, 20 November 2013 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users