League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

What's that phrase?

Summat along the lines of "If you've nowt good to say then don't bother saying owt at all...
"

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#22 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

What's that phrase?
Summat along the lines of "If you've nowt good to say then don't bother saying owt at all...
"

sorry for having an opinion

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Time to move maybe?

How about Immingham, or Grimsby?

Oi!  We don't want him south of the Humber, if that's OK with you!!!

#24 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

It will be interesting to see what both Hull FC and Hull City organise. I'm sure they will get in the spirit of celebration. 

You won't have to wait until 2017.

even worse! moving is not really an option. I have kids who are settled at school, a wife with family, and my family. I may be accused of being miserable but I am not selfish.
I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable ######, although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

Hull is wonderful, and if you can't see the culture that goes on here then I suggest you get out of the house and look for it. The galleries, museums, history centre, fruit market etc. We just had a weekend of Rugby League history events at the History Centre and Ferens Art Gallery. Where were you? Perhaps if you support what goes on then the likes of me will have more impetus when it comes to securing funding for more events. Don't complain that nothing happens when you can't be bothered to leave your sofa to be a part of it.

As for your comments on shopping, who wants generic high street a la Meadowhall? Give me more individual shops any day.

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#25 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

even worse! moving is not really an option. I have kids who are settled at school, a wife with family, and my family. I may be accused of being miserable but I am not selfish.
I didn't mean I don't care about hull, I couldn't care less about the city of culture thing. I'm not a miserable ######, although I would be if I lived in west hull! I'm being realistic, there is nothing in hull at the minute. The deep? takes 30 minutes to walk around, st Stephens, Not a patch on Trafford centre or meadow hall. the museums, ye they are ok, but I wouldn't travel all the way to hull to see them. the marina? not much to look at, a few boats. nightlife, it's great if you like to see underage drinkers fighting and causing trouble.

I don't agree with your negative view but even if I did the whole point of the thing is that it's not so much about where we are now but what we aspire to be. 

I think it's great news for the city. I don't understand how it can be seen any other way.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#26 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

You won't have to wait until 2017.

Hull is wonderful, and if you can't see the culture that goes on here then I suggest you get out of the house and look for it. The galleries, museums, history centre, fruit market etc. We just had a weekend of Rugby League history events at the History Centre and Ferens Art Gallery. Where were you? Perhaps if you support what goes on then the likes of me will have more impetus when it comes to securing funding for more events. Don't complain that nothing happens when you can't be bothered to leave your sofa to be a part of it.

As for your comments on shopping, who wants generic high street a la Meadowhall? Give me more individual shops any day.

are you any relation to rob?

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

To be fair, The Deep is brilliant.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

are you any relation to rob?

?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#29 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

?

Edited by ehbandit, 22 November 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I was reading an article. Think it was the Telegraph. It had ten cultural reasons to love Hull. Number four was rugby league!

#31 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was reading an article. Think it was the Telegraph. It had ten cultural reasons to love Hull. Number four was rugby league!

i would put that number 1

#32 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

City of LOLture

Anyway, noticed the posters for the bid up when I was over for the PNG-France game.  Good luck, sure it will be a great year for the city.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#33 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

it's a personal question, I've pm'd .

Ah, wires crossed on my part methinks, that's my name you see.  :huh:

#34 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Ah, wires crossed on my part methinks, that's my name you see.  :huh:

ha, you thought I was psychic!

#35 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,960 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

ha, you thought I was psychic!

Actually, I thought you might be someone I know... :ph34r:

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Apologies for omitting Hull KR which seems to have been missed by other posters!  ;)

That new swear filter really is the dog's ######.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

wow, hull a city of culture! I live in and I am from hull, and I could not care less about it. hull is a dump, and a dead end.

Do you think people don't know that?
Try opening your other eye. Hull has a great deal to be proud of, which is the whole point: this is an opportunity to showcase that and bring investment into the city
Every city in the country is a shytehole if you look in the right places
Every city in the country is a gem if you look in the right places
Hull is no different
Good for hull
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#38 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Do you think people don't know that?
Try opening your other eye. Hull has a great deal to be proud of, which is the whole point: this is an opportunity to showcase that and bring investment into the city
Every city in the country is a shytehole if you look in the right places
Every city in the country is a gem if you look in the right places
Hull is no different
Good for hull

if it can create lots of jobs then I will be happy, by what people are saying it will, so let's see.

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

if it can create lots of jobs then I will be happy, by what people are saying it will, so let's see.

Well that would be great and is obviously partly the object of the exercise
But your city is a fascinating place with lots going for it this us a chance to bring that fact to the country's attention including it would seem some if the people who live there
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#40 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

I may be desensitised to the place, but I do not see the fascinating things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users