League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Congratulations to Hull: voted the new city of culture.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I may be desensitised to the place, but I do not see the fascinating things.

Maybe they will be revealed to you during hulls year as city of culture

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 21 November 2013 - 08:13 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I may be desensitised to the place, but I do not see the fascinating things.

Maybe they will be revealed to you during hulls year as city of culture

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 21 November 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Keeping it local

#43 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

I hope so.

#44 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Congratulations to Hull, I'm sure the award is well deserved and willl be exploited to the full. I know the bid people and supporters from Dundee were extremely disappointed, although they were quick to congratulate the winners.

It is easy for people to scoff at old industrial cities, but these are just the sorts of places where 'culture' is all too often hidden, particularly in a "culture's not for the likes of us" sort of way. This celebration will be chance for the city to explore itself, redefine what aspects of city life actually are cultural, and to show its efforts to the world (well, to the UK, at least).

This year the UK City of Culture has been Derry-Londonderry (the official city title in UKCOC terms). I haven't taken that much notice of it other than a radio programme about the fleadh that was organised as part of the celebrations. A fleadh is a sort of festival of traditional Irish music, dance, poetry, and is particularly associated with the Gaelic/Catholic/nationalist community in that part of the UK. As you would expect it was packed with traditional Irish musicians and bands, but one that stood out was the inclusion of, for want of a better description, a loyalist marching band. If that did nothing else then it ripped into people's assumptions of what traditional Irish culture was.

For the people of Hull, don't let anyone put your city, or your culture, down.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#45 lanclynx

lanclynx
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

This is a good thing, northern English cities have bourne the brunt of the cuts and they don't have a Parliament to help them out i.e Dundee... 

#46 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Seeing the list of the competition explains a lot. I've not actually been to Hull but have been to Dundee, Leicester and Swansea and no disrespect to Hull, but that's not exactly setting the bar very high beating that lot.

Apologies if you already realised but that was just the final shortlist. Many more cities put in bids.

When the shortlist was announced BBC Look North did some features on the other cities' bids. The museums, galleries and craft workshops in Dundee looked superb. It made me want to visit the place.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Apologies if you already realised but that was just the final shortlist. Many more cities put in bids.

When the shortlist was announced BBC Look North did some features on the other cities' bids. The museums, galleries and craft workshops in Dundee looked superb. It made me want to visit the place.

It's a very interesting city

Personally I can walk around any town or city and find the experience interesting and fulfilling

All I need is a camera

Keeping it local

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,220 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

From the Telegraph: Why I adore this unloved city by Rosie Millard.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 Cookiepuss

Cookiepuss
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Working in Liverpool during its year as European Capital of Culture you could see how much extra activity was going on and people were genuinely proud of the fact that it had won the right to this title for a year.

It hasn't looked back since, either, and a new generation of promoters, musicians, artists etc are all doing interesting things in odd locations.

This may have happened anyway, but I'm sure ECoC status didn't hurt in helping create the conditions for them to thrive.

Good luck to Hull. Hope it enjoys its year as the UK's CoC .

#50 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

From the Telegraph: Why I adore this unloved city by Rosie Millard.

Cheers, I enjoyed that.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#51 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Living in Perthshire I'd get ridiculed for saying it, but Dundee is a great place. Like any industrial city it has its downsides but there are so many interesting aspects to it. One thing the bid team did highlight was the part culture and the arts have played in the ongoing regeneration of the city, although they now fear that their record may have counted against them, ie the appointment as UKCOC may have had just marginal benefits. They have said that many of the events they planned will go ahead anyway, but without the 'spectaculars' (headline events).

My experience of Hull is limited to the Boulevard and BAe Brough, but I'm sure the city has a tale to tell at least as interesting as Dundee's. This is the chance to explain to the world that it is not just a working city but a creative one as well.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#52 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Reasons why Hull is unique. Old Mother Riley (Arthur Lucan) died in Hull, Maureen Lipman and Tom Courtney are both from Hull. Hull Fair, held in October is one of the largest travelling fairs in the country and I believe marks the end of the season, certainly for the Northern travelling fairs. Cottingham, on the outskirts of Hull has claims to be the largest village in England, the Humber Lifeboat Station, on the Holderness peninsula is I believe the only full time lifeboat station in the country. Hull is the only city in the RFL to have two clubs playing Super League, And of course there's the accent, you can always spot them, going to werk with their merbarl ferns or ordering a drink in the pub "marns a parnt"  Or at the rugby "gerrem on sard"  Then there's the bridge - at one time the longest suspension bridge in the world. There are also the white phone boxes, you know you're in Hull (Beverley) when you see a white phone box!  There's a lot to be said for Hull! And of course the last thing is it isn't really called Hull. 

Edited by Trojan, 24 November 2013 - 11:14 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#53 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

cottingham largest village?years ago I  thought it was Horsforth

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#54 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

cottingham largest village?years ago I  thought it was Horsforth

Horsforth is part of Leeds, and before that was an Urban District, so doesn't count.  Also it's an island.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#55 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:17 AM

Did Hull once have cream coloured telephone boxes? 

#56 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

Did Hull once have cream coloured telephone boxes?

We still do and a gold one too.

#57 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

We still do and a gold one too.

And some say there is nothing much to say about Hull!  ;)

#58 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

And the main road in is named after a rugby league legend ... Clive Sullivan Way

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#59 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,220 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

And the main road in is named after a rugby league legend ... Clive Sullivan Way

Traffic problem reports on that road accounts for 99% of all mentions of Rugby League players' names on Radio 5. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#60 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Pattie butties the staple diet of Hull, you cannot beat em !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users