Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Labour - No benefits for under 25's...

Genius

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Seeing how much the public are loving the various cuts,Labour are looking at this one -

http://www.telegraph...-under-25s.html

People under the age of 25 would be barred from claiming unemployment benefits under proposals being considered by the Labour Party.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,265 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

Because, under no circumstances, must we look at restricting the baby boomers' rights to unlimited prosperity.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,306 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Because, under no circumstances, must we look at restricting the baby boomers' rights to unlimited prosperity.

Heresy! You will be deported to the rigrht-wing boondocks of this lefties forum!

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

What we need is more kicking of people when they're down, and more age discrimination.  Where do I sign up?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I know people have said repeatedly that the Labour party must move with the times to be electable but I really think they've become Tory-lite in everything but name.  Some of the policies Labour put out in government and proposed were things that even Maggie wouldn't have dared implement.

My view is that if you've earned contribution based benefits and find yourself unemployed then you should get access to the entire benefits package regardless of your age and be given them without undue hassle.

What they, and the Coalition, are talking about is a massively blunt sledgehammer to hit a very specific and narrow nail of the "will not work" youth.  What about someone who works from 16yo to 23yo non-stop then gets made redundant because his company outsources his job abroad?  Scrounger!  Stop his benefits.  What about someone who is 40, has never worked and does not want to work, why isn't he caught by these proposals?

The danger is that you get what happens in America, those who feel disenfranchised by the system, can't find work and can't get benefits either move to crime or get effectively dumped in society's skip.  Yes, it reduces headline youth unemployment because not one country's statistics includes these people outside of the system, they're not claiming unemployment benefits therefore they're not "unemployed", a win for the statisticians.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

They need that benefit money for Romanians and Bulgarians. They know the under-25's will be forced to live with their parents and granparents, and then sponge money off them.

I'm changing my locks!

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Generation most likely to actually bother to vote. Why do you think they're looked after the best?!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,508 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

What constitutes an intensive job search? 

It just sounds like weasel words to out Tory the Tories and get onside with the mail readership

Bag o ####

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,265 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Generation most likely to actually bother to vote. Why do you think they're looked after the best?!

Why would any under 25 vote and who would they vote for?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Why would any under 25 vote and who would they vote for?

Chicken, egg, etc. ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#11 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

I am disliking this country and it's politicians more and more each day. I am sick of being told that all the countries problems are because of people on benefits! I will leave my rant there, because I do not want to put my views down which may earn me a ban!

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Chicken, egg, etc. ;)

The chicken is Clegg, who's the egg?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

The chicken is Clegg, who's the egg?

Eric Pickled Egg.

Have you seen his perfectly ovoid head?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

I am disliking this country and it's politicians more and more each day. I am sick of being told that all the countries problems are because of people on benefits! I will leave my rant there, because I do not want to put my views down which may earn me a ban!

Oh course everything is the fault of people on benefits, they are leaches on society we should stop every benefit now or at least force then to work for multinational companies which post billions of pounds of profits and pay them out of the public purse.

Can somebody please explain to me the difference between a family living in a big house in Parr or Seacroft paid for by the tax payer and a couple with a big family living on the Mall in London also paid for by the tax payer.

The way that the poorer end of society have been vilified by this government ( a I include the lib dems in that) is disgusting.

Yes people cheat the system, but people also form cartels to rip off consumers. Both equally wrong we pay for both, but the latter make enough money to buy off the politicians.

#15 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would expect that the norm for most under 25s is not to get these benefits. Why? Because they are already in employment or education.

Sorry to sound like someone straight out of the nutter fringe of the Conservative party but they could always get off their backsides and get a job.

Personally i think the benefits system should not black out the under 25s totally but be time limited for all. We all know that idle sod you went to school with that has not done a single days work since you left. Why should this be the case? If you have not got a job within 2 years of being made unemployed you are no going to get one mainly through choice.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

I would expect that the norm for most under 25s is not to get these benefits. Why? Because they are already in employment or education.

Sorry to sound like someone straight out of the nutter fringe of the Conservative party but they could always get off their backsides and get a job.

Personally i think the benefits system should not black out the under 25s totally but be time limited for all. We all know that idle sod you went to school with that has not done a single days work since you left. Why should this be the case? If you have not got a job within 2 years of being made unemployed you are no going to get one mainly through choice.

There are areas out there where there just isn't work for a sizeable group of under 25s.  Many companies no longer want or have to bother with trainees or apprentices because there's plenty of highly skilled workers already out of work and available in a recession.  The traditional middle path for youths moving into skilled work has almost stopped since the recession in 2008, that leaves the education path with degree-qualified work and the un- or semi-skilled work.  A perfect way to demotivate what should really be the core of our future skilled workforce.

The final path of going into the military if there's nothing else available has also tailed off to about 1/5th of what it was two decades ago.  You can't even really go into the TA these days as what company in their right mind would hire a TA soldier who is probably going to spend 6 months every 2 years called up to service?  The idiot government thinks that companies are going to be patriotically minded and allow their staff to be called up that often.  TA's OK when it's just a two week exercise every year and training weekends but the government's current idea of replacing active servicemen with TA is ridiculous in the extreme.

Saying "get a job" to those who really want a job but can't get one is demotivating at best and destructive at worst.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#17 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

There are areas out there where there just isn't work for a sizeable group of under 25s.  Many companies no longer want or have to bother with trainees or apprentices because there's plenty of highly skilled workers already out of work and available in a recession.  The traditional middle path for youths moving into skilled work has almost stopped since the recession in 2008, that leaves the education path with degree-qualified work and the un- or semi-skilled work.  A perfect way to demotivate what should really be the core of our future skilled workforce.

The final path of going into the military if there's nothing else available has also tailed off to about 1/5th of what it was two decades ago.  You can't even really go into the TA these days as what company in their right mind would hire a TA soldier who is probably going to spend 6 months every 2 years called up to service?  The idiot government thinks that companies are going to be patriotically minded and allow their staff to be called up that often.  TA's OK when it's just a two week exercise every year and training weekends but the government's current idea of replacing active servicemen with TA is ridiculous in the extreme.

Saying "get a job" to those who really want a job but can't get one is demotivating at best and destructive at worst.

There are jobs out there. There are opportunities out there. If you really wanted a job and was a school leaver, you would get one within 2 years. It would be a rubbish job but it would be a start.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,306 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

There are never enough bus drivers.
There are never enough train drivers

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

There are never enough bus drivers.
There are never enough train drivers

Not sure about where you live but down this way there's a waiting list to become a train driver.  Many people take jobs as train engineers or other rail careers hoping to get onto one of the rare vacancies as an insider.

Also, there are always plenty of adverts for trainee bus drivers round this way but it's training companies advertising their courses rather than bus companies.  Again, the bus companies don't need to advertise as there are more people with good licenses and experience than jobs available, many are converted HGV drivers who can't get work paying above minimum wage these days.

#20 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Where I live ( Rochdale ) charity shops have a waiting list for people who want to work there. You can't even work for free ! Jobs ? They're like hens teeth here.