Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CC1 2014

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

While I'm here....

as one of those poor benighted people not on the M62 who doesn't have decent local coverage, has anyone got any idea what the format for next season is, or when we're likely to know? I've worked out Coventry aren't playing but at the moment I'm trying to guess based on comments on the York/Hunslet/Oldham forums which are the only relevant ones people seem to post on.

On the plus side I've gone from Challenge Cup Final viewing every year as the only RL I ever watched in the past to going to every Oxford game last season. I've still got a union season ticket for London Welsh, but I've been impressed enough to just get in on the ealry bird for my first Oxford RL membership. Don't knock it, we've all got to start somewhere....

#2 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

While I'm here....

as one of those poor benighted people not on the M62 who doesn't have decent local coverage, has anyone got any idea what the format for next season is, or when we're likely to know? I've worked out Coventry aren't playing but at the moment I'm trying to guess based on comments on the York/Hunslet/Oldham forums which are the only relevant ones people seem to post on.

On the plus side I've gone from Challenge Cup Final viewing every year as the only RL I ever watched in the past to going to every Oxford game last season. I've still got a union season ticket for London Welsh, but I've been impressed enough to just get in on the ealry bird for my first Oxford RL membership. Don't knock it, we've all got to start somewhere....

Who's knocking. People like youraelf are what fledgling teams need to attract. Good on you.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

We don't know that Cov aren't in next year. It's just rumour at this stage.

#4 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Fair enough, like I say I'm whistling in the dark a bit to be honest. The one thing I have worked out in my short time following League is that nothing about the RFL is ever straightforward, neither does it appear to follow any discernible logic....

On the pitch it's great though.

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Fair enough, like I say I'm whistling in the dark a bit to be honest. The one thing I have worked out in my short time following League is that nothing about the RFL is ever straightforward, neither does it appear to follow any discernible logic....

On the pitch it's great though.

That's very true.

#6 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

We don't know that Cov aren't in next year. It's just rumour at this stage.

No its confirmed as they have entered the National Conderence Leagie for a second year.

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

No its confirmed as they have entered the National Conderence Leagie for a second year.

With a view to entering Championship One in 2015?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

With a view to entering Championship One in 2015?

No with a view to playing in the National Conference League in 2014 ;)

#9 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

CC1 just seems to be a bit of an afterthought at the moment. Last year I had a season ticket with two clubs. I have already renewed with one to then learn that some of the games I have paid for will now not be taking place. The other club have sent me a renewal notice but seem unable to tell me what I am actually paying for (Just to be clear I begrudge neither club the money). Even if it is not the case, the appearance that the powers that be are giving with regard to this competition is that it will be back of the fag packet stuff just before 3rd December

#10 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Why are people calling it CC1? Surely its KPC1?

#11 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

It is Kingstone press championship one and season before last it was co-operative championship one hence cc1. Fixtures are out dec 2nd, there was a meeting of the clubs last Friday to thrash out the format for the league the results of which are unknown.

#12 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

One letter fewer innit.

Seriously though, I can buy the argument that for the newer teams not having so many matches actually saves money, and we sat the NR cup out this year anyway. However, without the NR cup that's a 16 match league at the moment, and we're back to a situation like this year which saw us go 2 months without a home game (which isn't good for establishing game going as a habit, or building a support base).

I'm pretty impressed with the set-up and calibre of people off the pitch that Oxford put together in a very short time, we've got a great little ground and relationship with our landlords, and this season had a decent squad which meant we didn't get cast loose. But the silence on who we're going to be playing, how the league's going to work, and what exactly we're going to get for our memberships is ominous. As Jeff Stein says above, I don't for a moment begrudge handing over the money to Oxford, given that they are a good little club, and need the cash to plan ahead, but I can understand why the waverers they also need to get the cash off might not feel the same way - or appreciate that it's not the club's fault....

#13 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Agree with iffleyox.  The 9 clubs model left weeks without games and saw support drift away even at North Wales Crusaders when we were on an unbeaten home run.  I remember reading the Oldham forum and supporters being up in arms with no games to play and everything in the league at stake.  The season wont be helped without the Northern Rail Cup either. I'm not sure how KPC1 clubs will survive on just 8 home game gate incomes.

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'm guessing that the RFL are doing everything in their power to come up with something which works and securing sponsors. It is late but there has been a World cup which has transformed the game's profile and sponsorship base. There is uncertainty over at least one club which they also need to try to plan around. If it's the start of December next year by the time the structure gets sorted then everyone should be cross, but the delay here is both understandable and likely to lead to a better outcome.  

#15 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

York
Hunslet
Oldham
London skolars
Hemel
Oxford
Gateshead
South Wales
Gloucester all golds

Presume these are the sides to be included in c1, 9 teams gives 8 home, 8 away fixtures. To maybe add to fixtures teams could play another 8 fixtures, either random home/away against all other sides, 4 home and 4 away or 3 home/away against closest teams plus 1 on the road fixture home and away. This would give 24 fixtures, 12 home and 12 away with a few more local fixtures included. Keeps interest and also provides a few more local derbys/ closer to home fixtures.

Example Oldham fixtures
Home and away v all teams plus York Hunslet Gateshead + 1 travel all extra home an away

Example London skolars
Home and away v all teams plus Hemel Oxford South Wales + 1 travel all extra home an away

Hopefully the staleness of playing same teams 4 times is better than no or lesser fixtures. Also less travel than playing all teams 3 times.

Just ideas until more teams capable/ wanting to compete in this league.

Thoughts?

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

With the change of league sizes in the next couple of seasons, there'll be 4 more teams at least in KPC1 anyways (5 if Toulouse join the fold).
Posted Image

#17 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm sorry but I don't think that is acceptable. Clubs should be in a position to offer supporters season tickets before the end of one season for the next season, not have to say to them that they can offer a ST but goodness knows what you are actually getting for it. This is just good commercial sense. When there are only relatively small supporter bases doing anything which may put off customers can only be a bad thing.

#18 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Btw that was a reply to Exiled Wiganer's post. For whatever reason I don't seem to be able to either quote or edit

#19 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

With the change of league sizes in the next couple of seasons, there'll be 4 more teams at least in KPC1 anyways (5 if Toulouse join the fold).

That doesn't solve this coming season though which is one of the concerns. Not enough fixtures with only 9 teams.

#20 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I am not sure that the ham fisted dumping of a number of clubs into a league that they don't want to be in is much of a solution either