Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CC1 2014

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

The fact that they are included in the fixtures tells me the outcome of a meeting held last week.

Heard 2 potential investors myself but only hearsay. Any short list for potential coach? On their twitter it says 62 players have been in touch.

#62 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Heard 2 potential investors myself but only hearsay. Any short list for potential coach? On their twitter it says 62 players have been in touch.

mainly welshies. The team needs bonding and team spirit not the demoralisation of some Wigan junior flying in and out.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#63 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

If you discount the derby matches, the fixture compilers have managed to clash over 50% of the Skolars and Hemel matches. I'm afraid that will mean one less season ticket sold by Hemel this year. I know quite a number of people who went to games at both last season and they will have the same choice. Many fans in the south try to support not just a club but rugby league in the south and given the clubs' proximity I would have thought it made sense to keep as many fixtures apart as possible.

Far to sensible, that would never do.

#64 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

It's in the West Midlands, down from Birmingham and kind of across from Leicester if memory serves me right. Harr harr.

The plans for them to join in 2014 fell apart some time ago,they dont have security of tenure at their ground - always being booted off by the rahrah's if I heard rightly. Dont know how they stand for 2015. As for Manchester Rangers, that was a plan for 2015 - how they're coming along with that I dont know & if Coventry are still in the running maybe that'd put anyone else back a further year or two.

Manchester Rangers are due to start at Belle Vue in time for 2015. The plan is for them to ground share with the speedway team from there. I'd imagine the far better fit though would be to look into a ground share with the new FC United stadium that is being built over in North East Manchester.

The new stadium is to be around 5,000 capacity and I'd imagine offers better viewing angles for spectators. Having tried watching basketball at the velodrome in Manchester many years ago, I'm no fan of having a large gap between the crowd and the players. I'm presuming that's how it would work at Belle Vue.

#65 abd

abd
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

Would that be the new planned Belle Vue speedway or the current adjacent Kirkmanshume Lane place they share with the dogs? If it's the latter, it's a very tight track and so won't have the width for a pitch i'd guess.

#66 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Far to sensible, that would never do.

The clubs could always agree to, for example, switch to Saturdays on an alternating basis whenever clashes occurred.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#67 iffleyox

iffleyox
  • Players
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

The clubs could always agree to, for example, switch to Saturdays on an alternating basis whenever clashes occurred.

They could, but it depends what the current fan profile is  - I know I see a lot of the same faces at London Welsh that I do at Oxford RL. If playing on a Saturday in March/April/May and September they have to compete for fans with Sarries and Wasps then that could just hurt things even more.

It's not that one code is better than the other, more a recognition that in the south (certainly in Oxford's case), you have rugby fans, not (yet) dyed in the wool "league" fans.

If push came to shove I'd still choose Welsh over Oxford RL, and I'm a season ticket holder/member of both currently. London might be different I suppose, but only because it's likely to have a lot of northern exiles. Not sure Saturday matches would work for us.

#68 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

They could, but it depends what the current fan profile is  - I know I see a lot of the same faces at London Welsh that I do at Oxford RL. If playing on a Saturday in March/April/May and September they have to compete for fans with Sarries and Wasps then that could just hurt things even more.

It's not that one code is better than the other, more a recognition that in the south (certainly in Oxford's case), you have rugby fans, not (yet) dyed in the wool "league" fans.

If push came to shove I'd still choose Welsh over Oxford RL, and I'm a season ticket holder/member of both currently. London might be different I suppose, but only because it's likely to have a lot of northern exiles. Not sure Saturday matches would work for us.

Fair points, I just wondered whether clubs (and fixture list compilers) should be smarter in figuring out how to maximise crowds. I also appreciate it isn't easy.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#69 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

A problem we have at Hemel is our clubhouse is booked out for functions on nearly every Saturday, so we find oursleves in a position that we have to ask people to leave the large function room and move to the little bar, this tends to make people leave rather then stay. We have found over the years that the crowds are upto double on a Sunday that what they are on a Saturday.

The best solution would be to have one away while the other team are at home similar to Arsenal and Spurs.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users