TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Ashes... again!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

I'm trying to keep a lid on it, but these things have a habit of becoming common knowledge.

Do you ever go on tour at all?

#22 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

England's first innings in 'away' Ashes, and especially at the Gabba are rarely worth writing home about.

Still, a poor performance.

Check England's first innings at The Gabba in 86. One of the most destructive Innings by an Englishman ever seen in Brisbane. Botham ripped the knickers of the Aussie bowlers that day. 24 off one Hughes over.

The problem is England aren't as good as they were when Strauss was around. The series was one 3-0. In the summer, giving England a false position. Two tests ruined by rain would have most probably gone Australia's way and the first test at Trent Bridge could have gone either way.

#23 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Well, I knew our luck would run out and this series wouldn't end up like last summer, but I didn't expect such a disastrous start. The wheels have come off and we've been thrashed.

What on earth has happened to Trott? Other batsmen look lost too. Swann was hammered.

Awful, just awful.

We can come back, as the Aussies are in truth a mediocre team. Im not sure we will.

Mark, I think it's very dangerous thinking Australia are a mediocre team. Clarke is one of the best batsmen in the world, Watson is quality on his day, Warner has bolstered the top order for Australia whereas we haven't still filled the void that was left by Strauss. Steve Smith looks quality at 6 , a spot that we have had recent problems with and he also weighs in with a few wickets with his leg breaks.

Haddin is arguably on form the best Wicketkeeper bat in the world, and always fills his boots early in a series vs England. Prior has been woeful of late.

Johnson and Harris on home soil, if fit and switched on are more than a match for the England seamers, especially combined with the accuracy and tenacity of Peter Siddle.

Arguably we have a better off spin bowler in Swann than Lyon but the groundsman will negate that until Sydney which traditionally is a spinning wicket. I am a pessimist as you know from my posts on our forum, but I've said it to anyone who would listen, after the flattering 3-0, of last summer , that Australia will win this series comfortably, I hope I am wrong.

#24 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

I only saw the highlights of the first day, so can't comment from first hand, but talking to the guy who runs our chippie yesterday, who's an Indian cricket fanatic, the Aussies are using what, when we used it, they called "Bodyline," with very few balls being below elbow level, and most aimed at the ribcage.  IIRC when we used these tactics Australia were on the point of withdrawing from the Commonwealth.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

I only saw the highlights of the first day, so can't comment from first hand, but talking to the guy who runs our chippie yesterday, who's an Indian cricket fanatic, the Aussies are using what, when we used it, they called "Bodyline," with very few balls being below elbow level, and most aimed at the ribcage.  IIRC when we used these tactics Australia were on the point of withdrawing from the Commonwealth.

It's not bodyline.  It's hardly even fast bowling.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

It's not bodyline.  It's hardly even fast bowling.

Mitchell Johnson was hitting 90mph with a ball that was nearly eighty overs old. And most of it was aimed at the ribs.

Mind you, we needed a batsman who would take him on instead of just defending against the barrage.

Ben Stokes would have had a proper bash.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Mitchell Johnson was hitting 90mph with a ball that was nearly eighty overs old. And most of it was aimed at the ribs.

Mind you, we needed a batsman who would take him on instead of just defending against the barrage.

Ben Stokes would have had a proper bash.

That was from one end and the intent was to take wickets not to injure (despite Clarke's trash-talking).

Bodyline is something else entirely.

- Severus, July 2012

#28 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

That was from one end and the intent was to take wickets not to injure (despite Clarke's trash-talking).

Bodyline is something else entirely.

Yeah, it was the Aussies on the receiving end.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#29 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

Mark, I think it's very dangerous thinking Australia are a mediocre team. Clarke is one of the best batsmen in the world, Watson is quality on his day, Warner has bolstered the top order for Australia whereas we haven't still filled the void that was left by Strauss. Steve Smith looks quality at 6 , a spot that we have had recent problems with and he also weighs in with a few wickets with his leg breaks.

Haddin is arguably on form the best Wicketkeeper bat in the world, and always fills his boots early in a series vs England. Prior has been woeful of late.

Johnson and Harris on home soil, if fit and switched on are more than a match for the England seamers, especially combined with the accuracy and tenacity of Peter Siddle.

Arguably we have a better off spin bowler in Swann than Lyon but the groundsman will negate that until Sydney which traditionally is a spinning wicket. I am a pessimist as you know from my posts on our forum, but I've said it to anyone who would listen, after the flattering 3-0, of last summer , that Australia will win this series comfortably, I hope I am wrong.

I hear you, but the truth is they are a very inconsistent team which is a shadow of their former world class selves. I think they will win this series. But that doesn't mean they're really that good. Just how bad we are.

I don't think Strauss is the missing link at all. A decent captain and a useful opener but no more.

The bodyline comments elsewhere made me laugh :tongue:

#30 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Sad to hear about Trott this morning, hope he's given the space, time and support of those close to him to work things out and the press leave it be.

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Sad to hear about Trott this morning, hope he's given the space, time and support of those close to him to work things out and the press leave it be.

Wish him all the best and hope he can recover.

- Severus, July 2012

#32 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Sport can be cruel and brutal at times but your health comes first. Having suffered depression twice in my life, it's like falling down an endless black hole. Stress not cured can lead to depression. 

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Australians...doncha just love 'em. http://www.independe...es-8963930.html

#34 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Simple way to fix it is not to mute the stump mics inbetween balls and make the players aware of that.  Then discipline players the way Michael Clarke was after he was overheard when a stump mic wasn't muted quickly enough.  Either that or just a few "accidental" beamers to the gobby ones when they come out to bat.

The problem is that England are just as bad as the Aussies but seem to be pretending they're being bullied by these nasty Aussies.  I quite believe Michael Clarke's story that he only threatened Anderson in retaliation for Anderson doing the same when he was bowling in the first innings.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#35 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

More adult reaction from the Aussie press: Trott takes his bat and ball and heads home

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#36 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

I hear you, but the truth is they are a very inconsistent team which is a shadow of their former world class selves. I think they will win this series. But that doesn't mean they're really that good. Just how bad we are.

I don't think Strauss is the missing link at all. A decent captain and a useful opener but no more.

The bodyline comments elsewhere made me laugh :tongue:

Spot on Mark I think they are great on their day. And can be average. As for bodyline weren't there about 6 fielders behind square on the leg side. I don't think more than 2 are permitted now.

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Second Test: decent first day for England... just like the first Test. :unsure: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#38 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Spot on Mark I think they are great on their day. And can be average. As for bodyline weren't there about 6 fielders behind square on the leg side. I don't think more than 2 are permitted now.

Think they've been fantastic so far, and England hopeless. That 3-0 last summer had a watery look to it, to me, we had huge slices of good fortune last summer.

#39 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

England's second innings could be the last chance saloon for Prior and Swann. Perth next and we'll only need one spinner.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Second Test: decent first day for England... just like the first Test. :unsure:

And yet there's a good chance it's going to be England's best day of the match.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users