Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Ashes... again!

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Are the England Lions still out there?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I really wonder about this England side.  They finish day 2 in the best position of the series for them then they try their damnedest to chuck it away.  First, the bowlers decide that they no longer want to bowl the good length that got them 9 wickets, probably thinking that Lyon didn't deserve their concentration.  Also, why wouldn't they give Panesar more of a shot at bowling when he was clearly very threatening when he was on, was Cook worried about runs or something?  Then the batsmen, Cook and Pietersen aside, decide to waft their bats around like a drunken nets session when it looked like a fairly boring pitch that had few horrors on it.  Then the bowlers again, that good length that did them well in the first innings was obviously dismissed as a fluke as they decided to go back to daft shorter balls that were so easy to spot that I'm sure will help the Aussie batsmen get a good sleep without too many worries in their minds.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#63 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

I haven't been actually embarrassed by an England side for a long time. Just so poor and with the killer instinct of a kitten.
- Severus, July 2012

#64 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

The team is not motivated and its current performance is, more often than not, flipping useless.

However, I'll still be up watching them tonight and hoping for the boys to come good.

I just hope I'm not getting some practice in ready for next season at Odsal.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#65 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

Pooffetic

Edited by Wolford6, 29 December 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#66 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Congratulations to Australia, but even they must be a bit bemused by how easy it's been for them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#67 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hopefully a lesson will be learned from the Ashes, like all other England sport teams they've continied to pick players on reputation rather than current form.

#68 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Time for Cook to stand up and be counted. He inherited Strauss' team and now he has to work with Flower to create a new one. The first priorities are: -

- to make Bell take some responsibility ... make him vice captain

- to find a spinner ... Monty is too much of a liability because we don't have enough  runs to cover his weaknesses in the field and in his batting.

- drop Cook or Carberry to bat at 3 ... we need a right hand / left hand opening pair so that the new-ball bowlers are constantly having to change their line of attack.

- to give Prior the summer off to regain some confidence behind the stumps; let him play in the one-day team.

- to come to a gentleman's agreement with Pieterson ... he is to keep his mouth shut in return for more money for two years. After that, he's gone.

#69 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Time for Cook to stand up and be counted. He inherited Strauss' team and now he has to work with Flower to create a new one. The first priorities are: -

- to make Bell take some responsibility ... make him vice captain

- to find a spinner ... Monty is too much of a liability because we don't have enough  runs to cover his weaknesses in the field and in his batting.

- drop Cook or Carberry to bat at 3 ... we need a right hand / left hand opening pair so that the new-ball bowlers are constantly having to change their line of attack.

- to give Prior the summer off to regain some confidence behind the stumps; let him play in the one-day team.

- to come to a gentleman's agreement with Pieterson ... he is to keep his mouth shut in return for more money for two years. After that, he's gone.

Cook is one of the world's best batsmen, he reached 8000 runs at a younger age than any other test batsman ever.  He just doesn't seem to be able to do difficult captaincy situations and concentrate on his game at the same time.  The seriously simple dropped catch yesterday was probably caused by him thinking about whether to bring in a different bowler, field positions, motivation and so on while having then to concentrate on the ball coming at him.

Panesar is a world class spinner who will take wickets if given the right support.  If you're having to rely on your number 11 to get you runs then you're in serious trouble as a team, that means your top order batsmen are not doing their job.

Carberry is unfortunately a bit old to be allowed time to apprentice into an opening role, he either settles right into getting an average of 40+ or he has to go.  He was brought in to take the pressure off Cook to make early runs yet he just blocks an end trying not to give away his wicket.  Drop him, move Root to opening batsman and aim to keep him there for the next decade, move Bell to 3 and bring in a run-maker at 5.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#70 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

72 for 6. A familiar pile of cack from the middle order. Only Northern grit can drag us out of this hole.

#71 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Well, that didn't work either.

:(

#72 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

72 for 6. A familiar pile of cack from the middle order. Only Northern grit can drag us out of this hole.

Upper and middle order.  It needed a few inexperienced players to get some scores to make it as high a score as it was, I think they haven't read the memo about throwing their wicket away pointlessly.

Remember as a kid at school when your school would play a team from another school that was either way above your level of competence or way below and you knew it before you took the field?  It usually ended up in a daft scoreline one way or the other.  That's what this seems like, England look beaten when they walk out on the field without a ball bowled or faced.

#73 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I think they have been ready for home at somepoint during the second test. Mentally they are shot. Once this test is done I think we will know abit more. I think some players will be dropped some may retire and think something will come out from what's gone on in the dressing room. I would like to think the ODIs will bring some respite but I doubt it.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#74 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

5-0 it is.
- Severus, July 2012

#75 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

There seems to be a concerted call for all players to play a full county programme at the beginning of next season. Only successful ones to get picked.

A reasonable proposal, I think.

#76 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

There seems to be a concerted call for all players to play a full county programme at the beginning of next season. Only successful ones to get picked.

A reasonable proposal, I think.

There seems to be so much that has gone wrong that rebuilding looks like being a major task.  The coach and the captain have lost the plot.  Cook seems to have forgotten what an attacking field looks like, Flower has just presided over a 5-0 loss to an average (but committed and coherent) Test team.  Neither should remain in position.

The batting has been undone not by always brilliant bowling but by focused and concentrated attack.  Johnson has obviously shaken them up but the way the Aussies did their homework on players' weaknesses and then just worked to them was impressive.  I'd keep Carberry around as he's done a thankless job pretty well.  Stokes is obviously a high point, and I think Bell will be again.  Root probably has earned another chance in the new year.  As for the rest: I'm not sure any of them deserve a place but more worryingly I can't see a huge line up coming up to replace them.

And it's worse for the bowling.  Anderson has been run into the ground.  Broad can do it in bursts but is at the same risk of just being worn down.  Stokes can't be relied on as a principal wicket taker.  And then after that ...  we don't appear to have any test-standard bowlers left.  Everyone who is being mooted is fine at county level and could step up but I'm not aware of anyone who has shown that they can.

And then we get on to the back room meltdown.  Poor tour scheduling, appalling player management and a seeming breakdown in team spirit combined with a defeated attitude right from the start of the day 2 of the first test.  This all needs looking at.

- Severus, July 2012

#77 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I'd keep Carberry around as he's done a thankless job pretty well. 

I agree about that. He was not as good as had been hoped but he still averaged more than Cooke, Bell, Prior and Root.

#78 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Take captaincy away from Cook and I see him easily topping 10-12,000 runs as a fantastically successful batsman who just needs to concentrate on batting and slip fielding.  The problem is that there's no-one obvious to take the job, Bell would be the obvious other choice but I think he's much and much like Cook and wouldn't be any better.

Root didn't deserve to be dropped, I'd rather have him as the future opener with Cook rather than Carberry.  Carberry just didn't look solid enough.  I accept he was brought in to take run scoring problems away from Cook in the opening pair but you need to stay at the crease to score runs.

#79 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Take captaincy away from Cook and I see him easily topping 10-12,000 runs as a fantastically successful batsman who just needs to concentrate on batting and slip fielding.  The problem is that there's no-one obvious to take the job, Bell would be the obvious other choice but I think he's much and much like Cook and wouldn't be any better.

I'd have thought Stuart Broad would be the natural choice to replace Cook as captain ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#80 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'd have thought Stuart Broad would be the natural choice to replace Cook as captain ?

Far too easy to wind him up and he seems to have the patience of a toddler having a sugar rush.