RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#1 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

@ianramsdale

London Broncos have today filed notice of their intention to appoint administrators in 10 days

https://twitter.com/...221345514684417

Also, nobody at the club paid today

Edited by brooza, 20 November 2013 - 06:04 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

:(

Well that's the BBC's chapeau for this week's double-header written then.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Annoying thing is, 10 days from now is the day of the final!

But, I think they have to give 10 days notice, and they have to do it today as today is (supposedly) payday

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Official Statement:

London Broncos have today instructed lawyers to file a Notice of Intention to appoint Administrators over the club. This will allow 10 working days for the Club to work with the RFL & other parties to resolve secure the Club's future and prevent any creditor from taking action against the club in this period. There will be no further comment at this time.

#5 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Breaking news on SkySports. They cover the negative Rugby League stuff like this but barely give the World Cup a mention.

#6 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Simply a very sad day for Rugby in the south.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#7 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Dave Hughes' way of screwing Nigel Wood, after years of being left to carry the club single handedly and with no help from the RFL.

• Spicer, Viking Warrior and Methven Hornet like this
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hopefully the RFL will take over and ensure a decent team is put together.

I can't believe all of the wealth in London and no one is interested in running a club in a relatively cheap sport.

#9 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Breaking news on SkySports. They cover the negative Rugby League stuff like this but barely give the World Cup a mention.

Yep. Rugby league instantly becomes back page when something bad happens.

Sorry state of affairs at the Broncos.

#10 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Dave Hughes' way of screwing Nigel Wood, after years of being left to carry the club single handedly and with no help from the RFL.

You didn't win the Euro Millions then?

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

You didn't win the Euro Millions then?

Well I'm sitting at a computer and not on a Caribbean beach, so....

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

To confirm, it's 10 working days, so a fortnight from now

#13 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Oh deary, deary me. Mind you, it isn't as if we couldn't see it coming - you can't keep a side afloat for very long on the revenue generated from such pitiful attendances.

I hope things can work out and that maybe some well-heeled billioniare buys into it. But the first thing that needs to happen is relinquishing the idea of a "London" team. It's too amorphous a concept when one considers that the city is effectively a cluster of villages with specific loyalties. The only way forward is to find a specific area to target (it could be the Marylebone Maniacs for all it matters) and settle down.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Sky talk about our game on a daily basis, London Broncos are a club in Super League which they cover - it is relevant to them.

#15 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

So the Broncos are busted!!! If London really means anything to the RFL then like at Bradford then ther'll carry them thru.. If not then there's now only one club for the RFL to weedle out of Super league for 2015 now.

#16 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think the key thing is whether the Broncos mean anything to RL fans in London. Clearly they don't.

For me the strategy as I have always said, is to use London as the showcase for all our finals and the magic weekend. London is an event town for niche sports like ours. The Broncos and the Scholars can ride that wave rather than ploughing a lonely furrow.

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think the key thing is whether the Broncos mean anything to RL fans in London. Clearly they don't.

For me the strategy as I have always said, is to use London as the showcase for all our finals and the magic weekend. London is an event town for niche sports like ours. The Broncos and the Scholars can ride that wave rather than ploughing a lonely furrow.

Aye, if we are to be left without a London Superleague club, the magic weekend should be moved down there (after the contract at Man City is finished). That would save me having to trek all the way to Manchester :laugh:

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

That's simply not true.

The number who are prepared to turn up week in week out to watch woeful football played at a club that has lacked direction, drive and ambition for far, far too long is declining but that would be true anywhere.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Sad to see the club go into admin, but could be a good thing in the long run IF someone else comes in and runs the club. Micky Mouse would be a vast improvement on the current people in charge.

Strangely im not really as bothered about this news as i thought i would be, maybe its because i do actually think the club will continue, in what form is anybodies guess though.

Hopefully a 'Koukash' is out there for us down here in London.

• St Reatham likes this

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#20 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

In some ways Salford suffer the same ills and problems as London.It's hard to get fans in. So much else taking the spotlight.

Grass roots in London seems to have thrived. Whether they need the Broncos is for me uncertain. 

I wish them the best and hope something can be achieved, I guess for the SL it makes the cutting back on the teams easier at the end of the season

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: London, Broncos, London Broncos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)