Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#221 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Whilst I would agree with you on the need for a second French team. Please be aware that an additional French Club will have no impact on Broadcasting rights in the United Kingdom.

Your probably right in terms of overall value, however, everything I've read about a 2nd French team mentions them having to bring there own TV contract, so if that happens and Sky pay the same then the British clubs "share of the pie" goes up by a 1/7th.

Personally I'll be sad to see the Broncos go, hope they find away to get a team together for next season.

#222 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

The fact is that in the UK RL is a minority sport watched 'live' (and not that well TBH) in only a narrow band along the M62 and a few outposts in Cumbria. The game will not expand until this is accepted and used as the basis to build the sport. After 30+ years in the capital, regular sub 2000 crowds should really tell you all you need to know.....

Featherstone Rovers attracted crowds of 3683 in the First Division just before Superleague started. Whilst they lost their place in the top tier, London were admitted and returned crowds of 5418.

London's inability to compete year on year on the pitch eventually saw sub 2000 crowds as did Salford. In 2006 Rovers inability to compete led to some crowds counted in the hundreds.

Flying high Rovers mouth watering Derby with Cas in the cup returned a crowd of 4,165 in 2012, and the plum Wigan tie saw a lower crowd. 4,085. That led us to believe on here if Rovers could compete OK they may manage average crowds of around 5,000 in Superleague.

As the thread on the WC semis tells us thousands of people in London are interested in RL, there's a good amateur scene and they are producing good young pros, but the professional club has struggled in SL as have Oldham, Halifax, Workington, Leigh, Bradford, Salford, Wakefield, Cas etc

OK London are entirely propped up by Hughes, but Rovers are propped up by Campbell and now Nahaboo. We can make conclusions about London after 30+ years, and we can make conclusions about Rovers after 90+ years.

Edited by The Parksider, 29 November 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#223 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

And it went up having gone down before?

And its value didn't change when Crusaders crashed out before the contract had actually been announced (and presumably signed).

Edited by Northern Sol, 30 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#224 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Your probably right in terms of overall value, however, everything I've read about a 2nd French team mentions them having to bring there own TV contract

That's been said by those with the keys to the Superleague door to a club banging on it.

Wether the curent crisis and common sense will see the door opened and Toulouse dragged in we shall see.

Either the club offer more to SL TV deal or not than some current incumbents or not would IMVHO be the bottom line.

#225 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I don't get why Toulouse would instantly need a TV contract to enter superleague...

But lets say they secure one and the two french clubs split this....they could potentially be earning more than the English clubs? Would Sky viewers never be able to view French teams home games?

What if they secure a TV contract but are relegated? Who would get the money in year 2 of the deal? Toulouse, the championship, or unfairly the Superleague.

Cant see how this would work without ring-fencing French clubs in the top flight....

Also would there be a point to these two playing at Magic? They would be better served playing in another French city/region on the same weekend to aid expansion....and could even obtain a higher crowd!

For what its worth IMO the superleague should step in and buy the Broncos, stabilise and then sell on...This could be funded by having Magic in London all profits to the Broncos.

Also I would change Magic to a separate comp over two days with a trophey and prize money, as this isn't SL the TV rights would be open to tender.....

#226 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Also I would change Magic to a separate comp over two days with a trophey and prize money, as this isn't SL the TV rights would be open to tender.....

If this were to be a knock out competition then it would take more than 2 days unless there was another way of deciding the winners eg points difference.

#227 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Featherstone Rovers attracted crowds of 3683 in the First Division just before Superleague started. Whilst they lost their place in the top tier, London were admitted and returned crowds of 5418.

London's inability to compete year on year on the pitch eventually saw sub 2000 crowds as did Salford. In 2006 Rovers inability to compete led to some crowds counted in the hundreds.

Flying high Rovers mouth watering Derby with Cas in the cup returned a crowd of 4,165 in 2012, and the plum Wigan tie saw a lower crowd. 4,085. That led us to believe on here if Rovers could compete OK they may manage average crowds of around 5,000 in Superleague.

As the thread on the WC semis tells us thousands of people in London are interested in RL, there's a good amateur scene and they are producing good young pros, but the professional club has struggled in SL as have Oldham, Halifax, Workington, Leigh, Bradford, Salford, Wakefield, Cas etc

OK London are entirely propped up by Hughes, but Rovers are propped up by Campbell and now Nahaboo. We can make conclusions about London after 30+ years, and we can make conclusions about Rovers after 90+ years.

How can you estimate potential SL crowds for Fev based on two Challenge Cup games when even the established SL clubs can't pull em in for RL Cup ties? Turning to the present Rovers pulled in just short of 4000 for their final league game and that was midweek and live on TV. So what does that tell us Parky bearing in mind the comparison with last season's crowds at the Stoop?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 29 November 2013 - 08:29 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#228 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

If this were to be a knock out competition then it would take more than 2 days unless there was another way of deciding the winners eg points difference.

You could play 2 30 minute games in a group of 3, (4 groups)on day 2, winners of each group into the cup, runners up into the plate, losers into the bowl?

#229 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

How can you estimate potential SL crowds for Fev based on two Challenge Cup games when even the established SL clubs can't pull em in for RL Cup ties? Turning to the present Rovers pulled in just short of 4000 for their final league game and that was midweek and live on TV. So what does that tell us Parky bearing in mind the comparison with last season's crowds at the Stoop?

It doesn't tell us much other than it was a big occasion. Salford pulled 10,146 for their last match 2012. Widnes got over 5,000 for their last match 2011  against Featherstone BTW.

A good comparison therefore may be Widnes, albeit the town is bigger than Featherstone and Pontefract put together as is the borough of Halton.

2009 refused Superleague but rich man Mr. O'Connor on board

2010 CC average attendances 2858

2011 CC average attandances 3744

2012 Superleage entry average attendances 6046

Superleague gave Widnes a 60% rise in attendances. An estimate of 5,000 for Rovers if they go up is maybe generous Terry if your starting from a low fanbase. A 2,500 average plus 60% is 4,000.

Widnes would have hoped Wigan, Saints and Warrington would have boosted attendances with their away support all who don't have far to go. These three plum fixtures averaged only 7,650 for Widnes 25% above their average attendance first season in SL.

Don't bank too much on away support Terry. Widnes got only 5,000 for Salford, 4,700 for Catalans and 4,600 for Huddersfield albeit they attracted 6,500 for London!! On those figures you will most likely have several crowds around the 3,500 mark.

Featherstone will be hoping Leeds, Hull and Castleford may be the money spinners - do you think?? Wakefield got an average of 10,140 for these three plum games in 2012, that was also 25% above their average. In terms of actual extra fans that was 2,500 more fans per game than Wakefields 10 other matches.

Will Featherstone attract 2,500 extra fans when Leeds, Hull and Cas call?? If they did then you may be good for a few games over the 6,000 mark. Yes Terry the Cas Cup game is irrelevant, it'd be likely 6,000 plus for the superleague derby. But a 5,000 average most guessed at is if anything a bit of a generous estimate looking at the actual figures for a comparative club.

Edited by The Parksider, 30 November 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#230 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Looks like a decision to be made Monday with an announcement made lager in the week.

From what I can gather theBronco's will be going to Barnett but in what capacity I don't know. As the football chairman isn't keen on them the broncos could be run / funded by the RFL.

Either way the Broncos look likely to exist for 2014.

#231 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Looks like a decision to be made Monday with an announcement made lager in the week.

From what I can gather theBronco's will be going to Barnett but in what capacity I don't know. As the football chairman isn't keen on them the broncos could be run / funded by the RFL.

Any idea, at all, where the players and staff for this (effectively) new club are going to be found?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#232 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Absolutely no idea what so ever, I know the football club don't have a plan for that but that's about it

#233 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

It doesn't tell us much other than it was a big occasion. Salford pulled 10,146 for their last match 2012. Widnes got over 5,000 for their last match 2011 against Featherstone BTW.

A good comparison therefore may be Widnes, albeit the town is bigger than Featherstone and Pontefract put together as is the borough of Halton.

2009 refused Superleague but rich man Mr. O'Connor on board
2010 CC average attendances 2858
2011 CC average attandances 3744
2012 Superleage entry average attendances 6046

Superleague gave Widnes a 60% rise in attendances. An estimate of 5,000 for Rovers if they go up is maybe generous Terry if your starting from a low fanbase. A 2,500 average plus 60% is 4,000.

Widnes would have hoped Wigan, Saints and Warrington would have boosted attendances with their away support all who don't have far to go. These three plum fixtures averaged only 7,650 for Widnes 25% above their average attendance first season in SL.

Don't bank too much on away support Terry. Widnes got only 5,000 for Salford, 4,700 for Catalans and 4,600 for Huddersfield albeit they attracted 6,500 for London!! On those figures you will most likely have several crowds around the 3,500 mark.

Featherstone will be hoping Leeds, Hull and Castleford may be the money spinners - do you think?? Wakefield got an average of 10,140 for these three plum games in 2012, that was also 25% above their average. In terms of actual extra fans that was 2,500 more fans per game than Wakefields 10 other matches.

Will Featherstone attract 2,500 extra fans when Leeds, Hull and Cas call?? If they did then you may be good for a few games over the 6,000 mark. Yes Terry the Cas Cup game is irrelevant, it'd be likely 6,000 plus for the superleague derby. But a 5,000 average most guessed at is if anything a bit of a generous estimate looking at the actual figures for a comparative club.

Sounds logical on the face of it Parky but actually not realistic in my opinion. When Rovers and Trinity last played together in the league I think I'm right in saying that Fev's average was higher than Wakefield's so, given the considerable benefit of 13 years SL standing which the Wildcats have enjoyed, why couldn't Rovers do the same? History tells us Rovers' past performance in comparison with their neighbours is very favourable. And your 6000 estimate for a home league derby against Cas? Make that 10k and you'll be nearer the mark.

As I said previously, the last league game attracted just short of 4000 with the away following from Sheffield accommodated in a couple of taxis. That's for a Championship game. Don't you think many more locals would be attracted by the prospect of SL opposition? I hope London can survive but they haven't exactly helped themselves judging by the comments of fans close to the club and indeed one of heir long serving players, Tony Clubb. How much leeway do we give them and is it fair to clubs such as Fev who are working their socks off in all aspects of the business to get to where they want and deserve to be?

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 30 November 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#234 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

As it happens I spoke to a fellow Broncos fan who I know after the game last saturday.

He quoted an individual who certainly would know what was going on and claimed an announcement was due last monday.

This monday on the face of it after the conclusion of the WC would have been the most likely bearing in mind how long this has dragged on anyway.

#235 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,178 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

1. Sounds logical on the face of it Parky but actually not realistic in my opinion. When Rovers and Trinity last played together in the league I think I'm right in saying that Fev's average was higher than Wakefield's so, given the considerable benefit of 13 years SL standing which the Wildcats have enjoyed, why couldn't Rovers do the same?

2. I hope London can survive but they haven't exactly helped themselves judging by the comments of fans close to the club and indeed one of heir long serving players, Tony Clubb. How much leeway do we give them and is it fair to clubs such as Fev who are working their socks off in all aspects of the business to get to where they want and deserve to be?

1. It is logical Terry, it's based on a good example, not one off games examples. I can find more if you want? Rovers IMVHO with logic and facts applied do not have the population Wakefield have to attract fans, and as people say half of Ponte are Cas minded. But I'm debating a point with someone with a clear vested interest mixed with admirable optimism.

2. IMVHO London are nothing to do with Featherstone Rovers, and working one's socks off doesn't do anything to make a club professional. The only few true professional outfits we have like Wigan and Leeds and Hull if they ever get themselves sorted can turn over the required monies without a big cheque every year from a very rich man.

Let's not pretend Rovers are any different to Fartown, London, Widnes, HKR, Salford, Sheffeld, Leigh, Halifax, Cas, etc.

No rich owner = championship club, rich benevolent owner = Superleague club. As long as Campbell and Nahaboo keep the money and promises flowing your in.

Edited by The Parksider, 01 December 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#236 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

The one definite fact is that the deadline for a deal to be done to avoid administration is 5pm Tuesday, not Wednesday as some people have said (this via an Ian Ramsdale tweet).

#237 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

The one definite fact is that the deadline for a deal to be done to avoid administration is 5pm Tuesday, not Wednesday as some people have said (this via an Ian Ramsdale tweet).

Though he did say the 5pm bit was not fact! Ie end of Tuesday is the absolute deadline.

#238 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Be very interesting to see what happens with the Broncos in 2014. Hopefully we'll either get a Dr K type to buy them, or the RFL will buy them. They look like the only realistic ways that the club can be turned into anything like it should be.

I expect though, that we'll get neither. It'll probably be the usual bloke with a few quid, but not enough, who will promise lots of things, and enable them to limp along for another couple of years before the next crisis.

#239 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

I thought the name Skolars came about due to a nearby pub of that name?

The pub is named after the club.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#240 southendsteve07

southendsteve07
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hope the broncos. Carry on hope they play at leyton orients ground easy for me to get to need a london team some good young players coming through 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users