Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#321 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

So... has anyone heard any substance on whether administration has been avoided?  I thought today was the last day before the club had to formally announce whether they were going into administration or had a credible plan to avoid it.  Also, have those who weren't paid two weeks ago had their pay yet?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#322 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

statement just on Rammos twitter

#323 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Sky Sports news just quoted a Broncos spokesman claiming positive discussions ongoing re new home and to

fulfill there SL fixtures for next year.

Ian Ramsdale of Radio London claims on twitter Broncos to apply to court for 10 extra days re further discussion.

#324 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

According to Ian Ramsdale on Twitter they're going to file another 'Notice of Intention to Appoint Administrators at Court', meaning its another 10 days before the administrators come in, taking them to the 18th. They're hopeful a deal can be done in the meantime.

#325 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

According to Ian Ramsdale on Twitter they're going to file another 'Notice of Intention to Appoint Administrators at Court', meaning its another 10 days before the administrators come in, taking them to the 18th. They're hopeful a deal can be done in the meantime.

If I'm right, a second notice isn't automatically granted and can be openly challenged by any creditor.  I'd assume there are a few disgruntled "creditors" in the employees left who weren't paid in November and are unlikely to be paid in December.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#326 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

If I'm right, a second notice isn't automatically granted and can be openly challenged by any creditor.  I'd assume there are a few disgruntled "creditors" in the employees left who weren't paid in November and are unlikely to be paid in December.

You're right, the court can turn the application down, but presumably if the club can prove that a deal to save the club is imminent, and there are valid reasons why the deal couldn't be completed in time, then it could be granted.

Edited by thirteenthman, 03 December 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#327 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Would this relaunched club attract many new supporters? I live in West London and I can't think of many people who would be new fans.

If it couldn't, then nowhere would.

Of course, it's just a hypothetical. But the idea of "London" is too big. Every club needs roots, and somewhere with communities as disparate as London means you have to focus on one geographical area. Rugby League in the capital desperately needs some feelgood factor, and I can't think of anything that would do this as well as linking with one of its premier league football teams (complete with access to a very big chequebook).

#328 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Of course, it's just a hypothetical. But the idea of "London" is too big. Every club needs roots, and somewhere with communities as disparate as London means you have to focus on one geographical area. Rugby League in the capital desperately needs some feelgood factor, and I can't think of anything that would do this as well as linking with one of its premier league football teams (complete with access to a very big chequebook).

That would be the ideal answer. New money coming into the game ,rather than squabling about how to make what there is go further.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#329 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Everyone in London has a football team, naming the RLFC after what is probably the most hated club in the city would alienate anyone who doesn't support Chelsea. You could probably get away with it if it was Orient, Barnet, Fulham or Brentford, four pretty anonymous clubs that no-one really has any antipathy towards, but the other clubs would be difficult. Chelsea would be off the scale.

Not that it's going to happen anyway.

Edited by nadera78, 03 December 2013 - 06:43 PM.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#330 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Everyone in London has a football team, naming the RLFC after what is probably the most hated club in the city would alienate anyone who doesn't support Chelsea. You could probably get away with it if it was Orient, Barnet, Fulham or Brentford, four pretty anonymous clubs that no-one really has any antipathy towards, but the other clubs would be difficult. Chelsea would be off the scale.

Beggars can't be choosers, and at least you'd have cash and the possibility of starting afresh. Besides, you know how partisan football supporters are, so Brentford would alienate a pile, too.

And, as you say, it's not going to happen anyway. Which is sad.

#331 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

My experience is that the most hated club among real fans is Tottenham. I don't really know why that is. Why not link up with Millwall? I recall that Shaun Edwards once said he thought SE London was more suited to RL than west London?

#332 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

I would imagine the sport should learn lessons from naming the Broncos the Quins as to the effect adopting another club's identity can have on their own.

Assuming the Broncos come through this self inflicted ordeal in tact, they should retain both London and Broncos in their name (if they can, pending admin of course) but fasten themselves into a specific community in London which at least shows some interest in rugby league already.  That probably isn't possible in London or if it is possible then the cost of finding a stadium to play in may kill the possibility but IMO they need to retain their own identity and preferably find someone willing and able to develop it.

#333 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

I would imagine the sport should learn lessons from naming the Broncos the Quins as to the effect adopting another club's identity can have on their own.

Assuming the Broncos come through this self inflicted ordeal in tact, they should retain both London and Broncos in their name (if they can, pending admin of course) but fasten themselves into a specific community in London which at least shows some interest in rugby league already.  That probably isn't possible in London or if it is possible then the cost of finding a stadium to play in may kill the possibility but IMO they need to retain their own identity and preferably find someone willing and able to develop it.

There's sense in what you're saying, for sure. But... London isn't like anywhere else in Rugby League. "London" is too big and unwieldy, and "Broncos" is just a random meaningless appendage that was tacked on for no logical reason whatsoever. Both have failed (as you rightly point out, so did "Harlequins").

Much as I loathe what modern Association Footbal stands for and the way it conducts itself, there's no doubt in my mind that a London-based team would do better linking itself with them than a Rugby Union side (London is THE hotbed of anti-League bias in those quarters).

And if you're going to connect with a football team, better to make it a big 'un!

#334 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Keiran Dixon is not impressed

https://twitter.com/Kieran_22

In fact some comments by Keiran further down rather indicate come what may we know who he will NOT be playing for in 2014

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#335 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

My experience is that the most hated club among real fans is Tottenham. 

No.  It's Chelsea.  Everyone, but everyone, hates Chelsea.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#336 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Yep. Everyone hates Chelsea.. Tottenham would be a close second though..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#337 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

IMO the problem was they actually based the club in London. The cost of living in London is much higher than in small northern towns, so 1 pound spend there doesn't go as far as it does in the north.
They should have based the team somewhere outside of London, perhaps even 40-50 miles out, so they could rent training facilities cheaper and have their money go further in terms of the cost of living. Then they would drive to London and play their home games there in some stadium.

This could still happen?

Prem teams dont train anywhere near their grounds!

#338 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yep. Everyone hates Chelsea.. Tottenham would be a close second though..

Maybe to veteran fans.  I think Arsenal with their nouveau crowd probably beat them now.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#339 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

There's sense in what you're saying, for sure. But... London isn't like anywhere else in Rugby League. "London" is too big and unwieldy, and "Broncos" is just a random meaningless appendage that was tacked on for no logical reason whatsoever. Both have failed (as you rightly point out, so did "Harlequins").

Much as I loathe what modern Association Footbal stands for and the way it conducts itself, there's no doubt in my mind that a London-based team would do better linking itself with them than a Rugby Union side (London is THE hotbed of anti-League bias in those quarters).

And if you're going to connect with a football team, better to make it a big 'un!

They were owned by brisbane broncos.. they changed the crusaders to broncos....

#340 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

My experience is that the most hated club among real fans is Tottenham. I don't really know why that is. Why not link up with Millwall? I recall that Shaun Edwards once said he thought SE London was more suited to RL than west London?

Jewish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users