TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#361 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Because many on here think that domestic RL in this country is much bigger than it actually is.

No, it's being discussed because we've got naff all else to talk about. Interesting comment though, I've met very few people who would meet that description. But there's a hell of a lot who think it can never be anything more than a semi-pro northern village competition though.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#362 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Trouble is, it isn't a franchise and never has been a franchise. And moving the Broncos to any of those towns would guarantee its failure.

#363 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

In a game when you have to apply to join and meet certain criteria first its a franchise.
No promotion or relegation its a franchise.
Held up by the governing body its a franchise.
Still part of the league with no gates to speak of where apart from sky money do they get the money to pay the wages?
If they go pop for good what clubs will be in the offing for suoerleague? The previously mentioned ones as usual.
Unfortunately we live in a capitalist society where the fittest survive.
Its a real shame but it doesnt look to me like the good people of London want a superleague team or they would turn up and watch it.
Its not field of dreams here. Just because the rfl built it doesnt mean they will come.
Also just because 15 million or so people live in London doesnt mean thry will watch rugby league.
How many Bronco's youth players have made it in the game.
I can only think of one.

#364 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

Latest rumour is that they may not be the only club that will struggle to make the start line with the Bulls struggling again

#365 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Seems as if the players can leave Bradford if they can get another club. Can't believe they are back to this again , not good for the game.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#366 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Seems as if the players can leave Bradford if they can get another club. Can't believe they are back to this again , not good for the game.

If this is true then they should be allowed to fold.  They've been rescued once, and as far as I know the RFL still own the lease to the stadium, and so they shouldn't be rescued again. 

#367 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

http://forums.rlfans...192303&start=90

#368 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

In a game when you have to apply to join and meet certain criteria first its a franchise.
Still part of the league with no gates to speak of where apart from sky money do they get the money to pay the wages?
If they go pop for good what clubs will be in the offing for suoerleague? The previously mentioned ones as usual.
Its a real shame but it doesnt look to me like the good people of London want a superleague team or they would turn up and watch it.
Its not field of dreams here. Just because the rfl built it doesnt mean they will come.
Also just because 15 million or so people live in London doesnt mean thry will watch rugby league.
I can only think of one.

So many things in your post I take issue with!

However firstly. which is the one youth player that has made it in the game?

#369 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

#370 charlie stones boots

charlie stones boots
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Macarthy scarsbrook

Edited by charlie stones boots, 04 December 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#371 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

I can only think of one.

But none of the things you mention makes it anything like a franchise. Had London Broncos/Harlequins been a franchise then it would have been successfully sued by the franchisor long ago. Mind you, it would have had a lot more help in developing the business from head office in getting the franchise established.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#372 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Clubb and McCarthy-Scarsbrook both made it from Greenwich Admirals to the England team.  However, by the end of this calendar year, the Bromcos might join the Admirals in the big rugby match in the sky.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#373 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

If this is true then they should be allowed to fold.  They've been rescued once, and as far as I know the RFL still own the lease to the stadium, and so they shouldn't be rescued again. 

The Odsal lease might be the reason that they are rescued again. What could anyone do with the ground? Don't forget that it's an ex 19th. century rubbish tip, when they didn't bother about what they dumped so long as it was dumped somewhere - I'd imagine that the cost of any clean-up would be prohibitive.

#374 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

The Odsal lease might be the reason that they are rescued again. What could anyone do with the ground? Don't forget that it's an ex 19th. century rubbish tip, when they didn't bother about what they dumped so long as it was dumped somewhere - I'd imagine that the cost of any clean-up would be prohibitive.

I don't think it's contaminated land to any great degree. It was a domestic rubbish dump and consisted of vast quantities of cinders and ash from coal fires and it used to turn up old beer bottles in the 1970's when I used to watch a lot of Northern. I'm told that it's value would be as a transport distribution centre due to it's immediate Motorway links.

#375 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,147 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Please keep this thread to London.  There's a perfectly good Bradford thread going.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#376 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Totally uninformed speculation not based on insider knowledge

4) LONDON MAY BE BAILED OUT BY A RIVAL CLUB: It seems an established Super League club is preparing to lend the Broncos money and players. NRL officials met Gus Mackay and Tony Rea last week to see if there was anything he could do to help.

http://www.rlfans.co...fid=134&id=1295

Bearing in mind the revelation from Steve Mascord, about the involvement of a rival Super League club in the rescue of London Broncos, Let me name the potential suitor as Wigan and the backer as Ian Lenagan and he may constitute the mystery second group first named by Ian Leybourne  in the Sporting Life .

It is thought Kleanthous is not the only other interested party but is the Broncos' preferred option since it would provide the club with a new home at The Hive.

http://www.sportingl...-talks-continue

First the finance, not so hard for IFL to own more than one club, if de jure ownership of the club is transferred to his son. If you are wondering if Ian has the money He is the 951st Richest Individual in the UK with a personal value of £ 37 million

http://www.mistersee...00 richlist.htm

As for the players that Steve Mascord hints at the biggest source of spare up and coming talent is Wigan’s reserve grade which would also mean an early return to London for Dan Sarginson and Tony Clubb. This may not be the only club in the North West that sees the value of giving reserve graders a season of first grade action. There would also be funds to get five NRL veterans in and to restore the London Academy that was disbanded two weeks ago which could work out in Wigan’s long term interest given London remains an untapped potentail source of RL talent.

Think about it – the only way you could get a team to achieve 12th spot in the comp at less than 70 days notice would be to have a side made up predominantly of players who have played together and grown through the same system bolstered by what remains of “London” Players and some NRL veterans. As for coaching this could be a chance for Iestyn Harris or Kris Radlinkski to take the reins in much the same way as Stanley Gene performs a similar dual role coaching a championship club while remaining on the Hull KR staff.

And of course you could take it as read that there will ge a new CEO which should please some along with an attempt to reconnect with the London RL community. It is through contacts with the London group after all that enabled London Skolars to arrange a presigious friendl;y against a Wigan XIII at the HAC this coming January.

As for the ground, Barry Hearne has little interest in RL, but does have an interest in proving that Leyton Orient’s as a ground share with West Ham is not a cuckoo in the nest. So demonstrating that a ground share can work is much is Orient’s interest and its self interest not altruism that powers any sporting deal. Notably the football club contacted about a groundshare was Wigan Athletifc who share the DW stadium with...

Interestingly enough Wigan has informal links with a North London Rugby Union club who’s CEO is so I am told friendly with Barry Hearn. In fact, there remains the possibility of any London Broncos playing at the Union club’s ground in the summer while Orient re-seed the pitch perhaps for the terms of the Union club's lease are more elastic than some think. Again it works in the interests of the Union club to have access to "rugby" juniors and said club already has low level links with London Skolars.

What’s the holdup then? – Politics, there are two factors, having fought a bitter ownership battle with IFL following Ian's accession to Wigan Club Chairman. David Hughes would be more inclined to favour a deal with Anthony Kleanthous. For this to fall through and IFL to gain de facto control would be a bitter pill to swallow. Especially since it might mean writing off the £ 10 million in directors loans to a rival who had to forgo his £ 2 million in directors loans when having to divest from the club because of his Wigan ownership.

Having de facto control of two clubs also strengthens IFL’s powerbase and weakens the powerbase of Gary Hetherington and Nigel Wood. With no decision yet reached in the conflict between the rebel clubs and the RFL getting RFL approval for the ownership is difficult, in which respect, the view of the NRL is key as Hetherington has banked on an expanded World Club Challenge due to take place between the top three clubs in early 2015. The NRL view as expressed in the Sydney Morning Herald is that abandoning London is a strategic error

With Super League struggling financially, rival club officials that this column spoke to during the World Cup are ready to write off the Broncos as a failed, 18-year experiment....

However, many in Australia would question the damage to the game's credibility without a team based in London and it is understood Smith and NRL game development manager Andrew Hill met with Broncos chief executive Gus Mackay 10 days ago.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2mdS4ELpz

http://www.smh.com.a...1202-2yl5q.html

So the NRL which does not need an expanded WCC has a card to play over GH who does need it for his personal credibility.

Of course this could all be more Tru Blood than the True word but then who knows?

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#377 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Chariots has just tweeted that Sean Long has just got a job with the Broncos

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#378 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Chariots has just tweeted that Sean Long has just got a job with the Broncos

He's going to be busy he's just opened a bar in Wigan.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#379 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just saw that tweet. Interesting. And out of the blue..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#380 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

First the finance, not so hard for IFL to own more than one club, if de jure ownership of the club is transferred to his son. If you are wondering if Ian has the money He is the 951st Richest Individual in the UK with a personal value of £ 37 million

£37m is not a lot if you're essentially burning £3m every year...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users