TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I guess now we'll find out if Wood and Co do actually have a plan for the game or they're merely reacting to short term events. I suspect it's the latter, otherwise they'd have been all over the Broncos for the last two years and we wouldn't be in this position.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

a very sad day for the game, now we will see just exactly how much wood and rimmer really care about the game as a whole, rather than just yorkshire based clubs....

Edited by Viking Warrior, 21 November 2013 - 04:14 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

A bit odd, given that we've been repeatedly told that the club's debt free. I wonder if this is what might be termed a technical administration to ring-fence our debts before a new owner takes over?

#24 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

A bit odd, given that we've been repeatedly told that the club's debt free. I wonder if this is what might be termed a technical administration to ring-fence our debts before a new owner takes over?

If the club is debt free, why would administration be needed? (I ask because these things are not my forte) 

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

a very sad day for the game, now we will see just exactly how much wood and rimmer really care about the game as a whole, rather than just yorkshire based clubs....

Maybe an opportunity for Toulouse....?

#26 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

what great timing! 3 days before the wc semis in London and the broncos announce this! cant abramovich or someone just buy them as a sideline? wheres mr branson when when you want him?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#27 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hardly a surprise sadly. Poor Management and treating the fans poorly is hardly the best way to run any club especially one in a development are and having a small fan base. I dont think the RFL or SL helped them enough. Heartland CLubs should not be relying on TV money and I would have liked London to have received a bigger share of the money and the RFL worked more with them than they did. Hopefully something can be sorted. I would hope the RFL would step in and help like they did Bradford. London is far more important and vital.

Its another stain on the Licences will make the game better. Every year a SL club has run in to trouble for the past 5 years. The SL Clubs and the RFL have made a real mess of things between them and right now the Pro game is at its worst state that I can remember. I would like to hear what the RFL plan to do about London and if they would look to run it for a while. But I guess the RFL have enough problems regarding the rebels and the WC

#28 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

And the same thing has happened for long as I can remember

The pro game isn't in the worse state ever, far from it!

It's a lot more widely reported. And people on forums like this make much more of a song and dance about it for sure

But worst ever? Not even close.

#29 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I watched there scholarship sides last year and there were some outstanding young players,it would be a great loss to our game if these players are lost to union

#30 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Breaking news on SkySports. They cover the negative Rugby League stuff like this but barely give the World Cup a mention.

Skysports has ten seperarte articles related to the upcoming England semi final clash. If that is barely a mention; what would you consider acceptable coverage ?

Given all the noises from the RFL in official press releases how Greater London and London Broncos are central to RFL strategy which has been publicised on SkySports it only follows that a story like this should be covered. There has not been a bigger story in European RL for for many months and that includes the world cup.

#31 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hughes may have done more harm than good. Same as Wilkinson at Salford

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Woods and Rimmer probably care more than the population of London and simple economics say the RFL can't keep ploughing money into a dreamy black hole when bankrolling a dozen development officers down there would probably pay bigger dividends for the game.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#33 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

And the same thing has happened for long as I can remember

The pro game isn't in the worse state ever, far from it!

It's a lot more widely reported. And people on forums like this make much more of a song and dance about it for sure

But worst ever? Not even close.

When have we ever had Clubs rebelling against the RFL? We have many SL Clubs that are either in a mess or struggling to be a fulltime club. We have always had clubs in trouble, but not to such an extent as now. Wakefield, London, Castleford and Bradford are all struggling and hoping for better days soon. Outside of SL the likes of Swinton, Hunslet´, South Wales are struggling to survive. We have massive problems in the Conferences and the way its being run. Just look at the recent play offs and what happened. The fighting over players at U18s between Pro clubs and amateurs seeing games cancelled etc. We have seen the loss of many important development officers. Massive drop in funding for grassroots RL. No sponsors for the Pro game. Now whilst the WC has been a massive success ( and show the importance of Internationals), domestically in the UK there are major problems which threatening the sport and could damage it if not sorted properly. You might think things are not that bad. But myself and others feel the game is at a low point and not just at SL level, but across the game for various reasons

#34 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Woods and Rimmer probably care more than the population of London and simple economics say the RFL can't keep ploughing money into a dreamy black hole when bankrolling a dozen development officers down there would probably pay bigger dividends for the game.

How much money have the RFL been "ploughing into this dreamy black hole"?

#35 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

So my understanding is when a club appoint administrators, they come in and sell assets and make cuts to bring the business into the black. If they can't, they liquidate it.

But what can administrators do to avoid liquidating the Broncos? Thy have no home, no assets, hardl my staff or players. I don't think they'd re-coup the debt selling tacke bgs and rugby balls.

I think London are destined or liquidation.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Great time for Super league to get actively involved, like they seemed to be going to do at Bradford.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#37 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Great time for Super league to get actively involved, like they seemed to be going to do at Bradford.

Get involved and do what exactly ? Bradford had a stadium, a playing squad, a fan base, an established community programme and a business infrastructure. London have none of those things, and the RFL/SL do not have the funds to provide them. Where do you suggest the money comes from to "get actively involved" ? Idealism is great but reality tends to win.

#38 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am very concerned about the situation.

The timing is interesting though.

By pure chance I met the club chaplain today and he said no one he has spoken to knows what is going on.

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

I guess now we'll find out if Wood and Co do actually have a plan for the game or they're merely reacting to short term events. I suspect it's the latter, otherwise they'd have been all over the Broncos for the last two years and we wouldn't be in this position.

No doubt you read the recent strategy document which said, amongst many other things, that it isn't the RFL's role to run or oversee individual clubs and that the management of said clubs must be much more self-reliant.

The RFL can create the environment for success, as they are hoping to do, but clubs must stand or fail according to their own actions.

I truly hope that the RFL avoid getting drawn into this.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'd love to think that letting the Broncos disappear could be an opportunity for the RFL to launch a proper Superleague Club in London in 12-24 months - with a top coach, a talented playing squad and a real marketing strategy but with none of the baggage the Broncos have.

It's such a good idea it's bound to happen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users