London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#381 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

£37m is not a lot if you're essentially burning £3m every year...........

I think it is in fact its 12 years investment

#382 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

Unless there's a resl last minute twist the Bronco's are playing at Barnet next year. Who owns then is another matter but I know the football club will be maximising their ability to apply for extra sporting grants etc etc

#383 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

£37m is not a lot if you're essentially burning £3m every year...........

Les, the cost base is to be different. The requirements of "licensing" are dead, the playing staff and coaching team may all be off the back of Wigan's current resources, and the RFL may underpin the academy. It's not a matter of this costing the owner £3M a year.

SL will be at 12 clubs after next year. There's room enough for a Featherstone on full salary cap to have a place in the top division, and given the struggles at Wakefield and Cas I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Thanks to Red Rooster for an extremely interesting albeit informed speculative, read.

#384 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

yea it was a good read

#385 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Les, the cost base is to be different. The requirements of "licensing" are dead, the playing staff and coaching team may all be off the back of Wigan's current resources, and the RFL may underpin the academy. It's not a matter of this costing the owner £3M a year.

SL will be at 12 clubs after next year. There's room enough for a Featherstone on full salary cap to have a place in the top division, and given the struggles at Wakefield and Cas I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Thanks to Red Rooster for an extremely interesting albeit informed speculative, read.

That'll be fine then?

If reports of London's accounts elsewhere are true, they raised the vast sum of £300k through admission and merchandise so not much investment needed to make them competitive and do you really think they will be with Wigan's 2nd string? What happens when Wigan have an injury crisis? etc etc

Have a look at my other posts, I don't want Featherstone in SL.

#386 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I think it is in fact its 12 years investment

LOL....... I doubt he'd be investing for anywhere near 12 years. Do you honestly think a supposedly savvy business man is going to throw away 8%+ of his wealth for very long?

#387 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 06 December 2013 - 04:10 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#388 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't want Featherstone in SL.

me neither

well said LST

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 06 December 2013 - 04:11 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#389 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

There maybe the one or two senior players around who may sign for the Broncos.
Lauaki at Wigan and Hodgson from Wire have not announced transfer or retirement so maybe they'll pop up at London.
If Wigan send their 2nd string on loan they can't be called back for 28 days then recalled at any time.
If, for instance, they loan them out 3rd February to London they will not be available for the Huddersfield game on the 7th but could be recalled for the next SL match v Wakefield March 2nd.
So due to the WCC they would only be unavailable for one SL game.

#390 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Unless there's a resl last minute twist the Bronco's are playing at Barnet next year. Who owns then is another matter but I know the football club will be maximising their ability to apply for extra sporting grants etc etc

I don't think so. Barnet's owner didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, he pointed out that there were many other clubs that could share the facilities. If Broncos are rescued by IL then I would be surprised to see them at Barnet.

#391 DEANO

DEANO
  • Coach
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

what a shambles. turn off the life support

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

#392 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

I don't think so. Barnet's owner didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, he pointed out that there were many other clubs that could share the facilities. If Broncos are rescued by IL then I would be surprised to see them at Barnet.

They are bound to say that though arnt they, keeping the upper hand in negotiations. .... the chairman will want an income stream during the summer, keep the stadium active all year, maybe entice new support from the RL family?

#393 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

They'll be there. Who owns them is a different matter

#394 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,500 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

That'll be fine then? If reports of London's accounts elsewhere are true, they raised the vast sum of £300k through admission and merchandise so not much investment needed to make them competitive and do you really think they will be with Wigan's 2nd string? What happens when Wigan have an injury crisis? etc etc Have a look at my other posts, I don't want Featherstone in SL.

I'm not surprised you don't want Rovers in Superleague Les. The reduction of the cost base for Broncos as you say isn't going to make them competitive without a large year on year monetary subsidy.

You can say the same for Featherstone Rovers as well. Widnes and Huddersfield have fine stadiums but relatively low crowds and Huddersfield's success seems to be based on a large year on year "giant"  monetary subsidy too.

Mr. Nahaboo is promising it, but whilst people can scoff at the Broncos at how much it needs to keep them afloat as an SL club, same applies up here......

#395 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Daily Mirror I think, cant post the link, Longy tried out as a coach and has a job if London survive

Might even be THE coach, not sure, reads a bit odd

#396 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Daily Mirror I think, cant post the link, Longy tried out as a coach and has a job if London survive

Might even be THE coach, not sure, reads a bit odd

"Sean Long has held initial talks with London Broncos about a coaching role – if the club survives.

Former Great Britain star Long has been out of work since the World Cup finished, having been assistant coach to the Samoa squad during the tournament.

And Long met with the handful of Broncos that remain at the club in London last week, after 16 players left during the close season."

http://www.mirror.co...s-talks-2903883

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users