TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

London Broncos to appoint administrators

London Broncos London Broncos

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#41 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

For them to launch one, there would need to be someone interested in backing one plus somewhere for them to play.

I think SL is dead for a long while to come.

Broncos might be salvagable as KPC1 side for 2015 and that's about as positive as one can be.

#42 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

I think the lack of reaction on this topic sums up the big problem for London is indifference. There should be a lot more than two pages of discussion on this topic. When Bradford and Salford were in trouble their fans (plus fans supporting other clubs) were pleading for their clubs to survive, yet no one so far has commented on this topic "Do whatever it takes to ensure that the Broncos live". Just think of whenever you see football clubs in trouble, you see tearful fans standing outside the stadium gates decked in their replica shirts loudly declaring their passion for the club and insisting they will not let it die. Does ANYONE care about the Broncos fate, we will see in the next fortnight if someone does care.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#43 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think people have cared in the past but they don't care anymore.  When Ian Ramsdale had his Broncos pubcast, it's clear that in the last five years, the way the club has been managed has broken the spirit of the hardcore fans, same of whom have had 30 years of being kicked in the balls by the club.  There comes a point where you have to just write them off.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#44 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

The ARL/NRL have shown how expansion can be achieved in Melbourne. A team owned by (at the time) the competitions co-owners and give additional funds from the central pool for 17 seasons so as to have a chance to grow, in an area totally alien to RL. In addition to Melbourne, the co-owners of the competition also own Brisbane as well as bailing out the NQ Cowboys.......all quite legitimately and accepted by the other clubs.

In SL, London were parachuted into the competition and left to fend for themselves, with only a few years exemption on overseas talent, before being expected to field a team of locals, 18 years of suspicion, but no proof of additional funding and other favours as well as the often mentioned but never proven protection from relegation, together with our 2005/6 saviour being told by the RFL that he couldn't implement his plans for London if he wanted to own Wigan and London finds itself in the shitter.....AGAIN.

I don't wholly lay the blame for this at the feet of the RFL/SKY, but I do feel that after they have benefited from 18 years FREE expansion work in the Capital, that is starting to pay dividends, the least they could do is step up to the plate like they did with Bradford......

....as it is, Wood will let us die, he'll pray Wakefield don't make it through 2014 and he'll get his 1 up/1 down from 2015 onwards. I just hope he has considered that the Next TV deal may well not be as large as the current one.....an M62 Hobby isn't a national sport and SKY's advertisers want "National" coverage. 

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

I'm sure that there would be a benefit in having a successful London side would be a great help with finding sponsors, TV deals etc but the reality is that Broncos aren't that team. Similar things were said about Crusaders and yet a couple of weeks after their demise Sky came back with an improved deal.

Australian sport works in a very different way to British sport. The NRL has never had P and R and this makes their game more like the NFL model.

Edited by Northern Sol, 22 November 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#46 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

No doubt you read the recent strategy document which said, amongst many other things, that it isn't the RFL's role to run or oversee individual clubs and that the management of said clubs must be much more self-reliant.

The RFL can create the environment for success, as they are hoping to do, but clubs must stand or fail according to their own actions.

I truly hope that the RFL avoid getting drawn into this.

Did they take that approach with Bradford? 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#47 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

With regard to the Ian Lenegan shares issue I thought he wanted to transfer his Broncos shares to his son when he bought Wigan, but was told there would be a conflict of interest with one family controlling two separate clubs. May be my memory of this is wrong given that three members of the same family were representing three separate clubs at the recent SL meeting apparently without any such conflict arising.

#48 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

A couple of things, firstly the Melbourne Storm were and still are propped up by News LTD. 

Without them they would have been dead long ago. The Melbourne Storm took much the same approach as London Broncos, tried to survive without juniors and grass-roots. 

To top that all off, and i still think Melbourne Strom will suffer as well until they get a second team, a local derby. 

Local Derbies really grow your code once you get your grass-roots clubs buying into this match-up. 

Again, London has not grown enough at grass-roots. 

So, what do you do, well the answer is there, staring you right in the face. Go to your strengths, France needs a second team. Build that, give them a derby, let them build their game as it will be easy. 

Keep up the championships teams second division push into London, growth the code more in and around London. 

Relegation, not sure how it works or if it works well or can you get it working better so clubs dont die after being relegated. 

One day London will rise, but not today. It is long way ready, even the Storm still struggle, and their juniors are not great. They have been one of the games most successful teams in Australia, let us not forget that, maybe they be dead by now if they had not had tens of millions support. 

They are just becoming loved now, finally, and only just loved, not cherished yet. 

I like the idea of keep growing rugby league in London at grass-roots, it's easier, and just take big games to the capital. The media department is up north now i read, surely making the code stronger in areas where you know it will grow must be the right option. 

I love the North games, the passion is unequalled really, is it not? 

The NRL is only now waking up to the fact we need to grow our passionate levels. 

North England rugby league has that in spades. Send us some will ya. 

#49 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Local Derbies really grow your code once you get your grass-roots clubs buying into this match-up. 

Keep up the championships teams second division push into London, growth the code more in and around London. 

The Storm still struggle, and their juniors are not great. Maybe they be dead by now if they had not had tens of millions support. 

Similarly Salford, HKR, Fev, and Huddersfield would probably be dead if they hadn't had £Millions of support.

If it's a matter of growing the London Championship teams with derbies you'd best check out the Whitehaven/Workington derbies in recent years. We've had over 60 years of those.What growth do we have in that historic hotbed of RL?

If you want to see indifference then you should have been around when Hunslet were about to fold, and when York and Rochdale folded. Not a peep from the RL "community".

The game in London won't be doing any "growing" without a top flight side, it only manages to "survive" even in the so called heartlands of the north where there is no investment.

#50 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

Maybe an opportunity for Toulouse....?

Well given the World Cup in RL and the Heineken in RU shows the public want international RL, and given Toulouse can financially back a side, it's not a maybe for me.

#51 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Similarly Salford, HKR, Fev, and Huddersfield would probably be dead if they hadn't had £Millions of support.

The difference being that it is private money not the RFL's money.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

With regard to the Ian Lenegan shares issue I thought he wanted to transfer his Broncos shares to his son when he bought Wigan, but was told there would be a conflict of interest with one family controlling two separate clubs. 

I don't remember that.  It's a good principle but maybe a bit of pragmatism would have been useful.

Hindsight's always 20/20, mind.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#53 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

Did they take that approach with Bradford? 

The difference it was in the interests of the other SL clubs for #Bradford not to go under. If Broncos go under it will have little direct impact on the other SL clubs.

#54 Jonnyfun

Jonnyfun
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

The difference it was in the interests of the other SL clubs for #Bradford not to go under. If Broncos go under it will have little direct impact on the other SL clubs.

It has a huge impact on the credibilty of RL/SL in the South in my opinion though. It would be a huge shame not to have anywhere in the South represented.

#55 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well that really depends on your view of the game and what its potential is. Given the mood music coming out of Red Hall in recent times, and the never ending self-interest and short-termism of virtually every club, player and fan in the game, I'd suggest it looks like the Broncos are dead.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#56 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

It has a huge impact on the credibilty of RL/SL in the South in my opinion though. It would be a huge shame not to have anywhere in the South represented.

Credibility to who ? I think you are overstating the impact considerably. There is more to RL in the UK than the ESL. Currently there is significant interest in big RL events in London and there has been for decades, what is not there is enough interest to even partially support a Pro RL club.

#57 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

I would say that having a top teir club in London getting hammered every week, playing to crowds of a couple of thousand and playing in a council athelitic field, would do far more to damage the credibility of RL in London, than removing the team would.

Rather than save the broncos why not put that money into Hemel and the Skolars, both are community based and if we let these clubs grow then who knows in a few years they may be able to compete in the top teirs.

#58 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Well that really depends on your view of the game and what its potential is. Given the mood music coming out of Red Hall in recent times, and the never ending self-interest and short-termism of virtually every club, player and fan in the game, I'd suggest it looks like the Broncos are dead.

That was not my view I was just commenting on the evidence available that London contributes little to the business of other SL clubs, Bradford on the other was imnportant to other SL clubs. I believe there is better chance of a Pro RL club being sustainable outside London. In addition to that what has been shown is that that club could not even make a relative success of their time second time at The Stoop in partnership with a successful RU club and all the benefits that brought. During that period they found that they could not even give away tickets and for a period they stopped doing that, free tickets were available to Juniors again there was little interest in that. Currently there is not enough interest in a SL club in London but below that level there is interest. That tied in with the lack of groundwork the club is willing to do previously also suggests there has been a lack of ambition.

#59 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I would say that having a top teir club in London getting hammered every week, playing to crowds of a couple of thousand and playing in a council athelitic field, would do far more to damage the credibility of RL in London, than removing the team would.

Rather than save the broncos why not put that money into Hemel and the Skolars, both are community based and if we let these clubs grow then who knows in a few years they may be able to compete in the top teirs.

That money would be better spend on development officers for the region and advisory services to both clubs. The governing body is responsible the game as a whole not just a few clubs. 

#60 Jonnyfun

Jonnyfun
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Credibility to who ? I think you are overstating the impact considerably. There is more to RL in the UK than the ESL. Currently there is significant interest in big RL events in London and there has been for decades, what is not there is enough interest to even partially support a Pro RL club.

My fear would be that potential investors/sponsors who may be are considering a RL club outside of the heartlands area are seeing a team in the an area as affluent and populous as London going into administration may think twice about supporting the sport. I might be over thinking it and for that I apologise, but I felt there was negativity here in Bridgend toward league after the Crusaders even though the sport itself had done nothing wrong.

Forgive my ignorance, just rediscovering the sport after the RLWC  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users