TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Bigger Picture

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Quote from Petero Civoniceva:

''People are waking up early and kids aren't going to school because they want to watch the Bati play; it is amazing, we are on the cusp of taking rugby league in Fiji to another level. I know this tournament in some circles has been criticised because of lopsided scores but I wish the people writing those stories would go to Fiji and ask people there what the World Cup means to them. They would get a totally different perspective on what this competition has done for the game and what it will do in terms of the game's growth in Fiji.''

Sometimes people need to look at the bigger picture and understand there is more to our game than just England, Australia and New Zealand... discuss.

• Ant likes this

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#2 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Lopsided scores? In my opinion there has not been a true blow out and I've been to/watched every game. Cf the last union world cup there were four scores over 80 (well one was 79) and plenty over 60.

Some people need to get a grip and realise what a great contest every game has been (apart from the French occasionally). Even the minnows have provided brilliant entertainment. 

I'll be cheering on the Bati all I can on Saturday.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#3 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Lopsided scores? In my opinion there has not been a true blow out and I've been to/watched every game. Cf the last union world cup there were four scores over 80 (well one was 79) and plenty over 60.

Some people need to get a grip and realise what a great contest every game has been (apart from the French occasionally). Even the minnows have provided brilliant entertainment. 

If you get a chance, dig out some of the Aussie press articles from the past week or so (e.g. Sydney Morning Herald for one I think) ... I think Petero was referring to the fact that some blinkered journalists in Aus were focusing on the handful of one-sided matches and ludicrously tarnishing the tournament as a whole with that same brush. I'm glad such a prominent figure is giving it back to them!

#4 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I think the big success has been delivering competitive matches with the outcome in doubt until the latter stages, only made possible by having the draw in 2 halves.

It left Ireland as the fall guys, and the Aus and NZ Quarters were always likely to be mismatches.

I'll also be cheering on Fiji on Saturday and like you, John Rhino, travelling down from Derby.

BTW - I was proud to be there over 22 years ago

#5 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

I think the big success has been delivering competitive matches with the outcome in doubt until the latter stages, only made possible by having the draw in 2 halves.

It left Ireland as the fall guys, and the Aus and NZ Quarters were always likely to be mismatches.

I'll also be cheering on Fiji on Saturday and like you, John Rhino, travelling down from Derby.

BTW - I was proud to be there over 22 years ago

Yep - that seems to have been the key to the success of the early rounds of this tournament. We shouldn't deviate too much from this format in the next few WCs and with the right focus of efforts during the period between them we should hopefully see the gap closing somewhat!

#6 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

The only reason their have been few huge scores is because the groups were split into the competent teams and the no hopers. No other world tournament I am aware of does this. You may as well have two separate competitions- one for the big three, one for the rest.

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

The only reason their have been few huge scores is because the groups were split into the competent teams and the no hopers. No other world tournament I am aware of does this. You may as well have two separate competitions- one for the big three, one for the rest.

So what?

#8 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Because posters have been getting excited by a lack of one sided games. Easy to achieve with rigged pools

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

The 'one for the rest' would be a fantastic tournament; the big three would be a bit familiar.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Because posters have been getting excited by a lack of one sided games. Easy to achieve with rigged pools

So what is it to you? You don't approve, don't watch.

#11 Mick Carroll

Mick Carroll
  • Facebook
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Most other sports world cups have groups with seeds in football does it for instance do don't know what people are moaning at

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

Maybe so but it puts bums on seats and I, for one, have enjoyed it.

#13 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Most other sports don't put all the best teams in one pool and then let them all go through!

#14 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Most other sports don't put all the best teams in one pool and then let them all go through!

I don't really care what other sports do. This format has worked for Rugby League. The only thing I would change is to maybe have 4 teams in each of the weaker pools (enough teams of suitable strength permitting) to avoid a repeat of the Scotland situation. The RLIF then need a well designed plan for qualifying rounds to seed the teams in advance of the tournament.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Scotland and USA are not the best teams. They went through.

#16 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Here's the thing for the detractors to ask themselves.

" What would you be doing this time of the year were it not for this tournament "

" Do you miss Rugby League in the off season "

' No ? "

Your not a Rugby league supporter , you're a brand sheep.

Edited by mt smart, 21 November 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#17 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

It was a dinosaur rugby league newspaper reporter who must be close to retirement as he cant keep up with social media which is giving him a hiding. 

Another local blog that allows all code warriors from all sports normally writes one/one sided story a day about rugby leagues death, and gets away with it as well. I just left that site to join here where you can have a say without defending 24/7. 

Ignore them, we can all see that this World Cup has forever changed our code. 

It has taken alot of people by surprise, the Island teams have been great and have shown that they will be a real force come future Cups, the format is brilliant, i am glad they thought it up and other codes could take a leaf from our book because boring contests will be shown up for what they are in the future, and no code has a equal footing, you only need to look no further than the Australian soccer team thrashing the other day. 

How they made the next soccer world cup has a-lot scratching their heads. 

Growth is booming down under. NZ, the islands, even PNG, all will benefit from this cup. 

Super League should see if they can get Jim Doyle to help them out. No matter, i think Super-league has done the right thing by growing the second level Championships, and the Challenge Cup continues to be one of the best events in sport. I would work more at this level. Super league will take care of itself as time goes on, the game is getting better, not worser. 

Rhino's, St Helens, Wigan, Warrington and Hulls, all seem fine to me. I think France would benefit from a second team, at super-league level and Nation level. 

Salford surely will up the anti and shake things up a bit. 

The real only lowlight has been the Broncos and London. I honestly believe that having a team in London is not going to work. They needed two teams really to make it work. A London Derby. 

Maybe championship growth and continued grass-roots growth is the way forward for now, until two billionaires come along and say they want a team each. Until then, the game looks at it's best with the passionate crowds of the North, nothing beats that in my opinion, and i have watched the game from the 70's. 

The game down under is rapidly growing, with a salary cap headed to 10 million. 

The overflow needs somewhere to go, and Super-league will be that place. Super-league will need to grow as the NRL grows to 18, maybe 20 teams. It will take more than Australia to keep a league this size alive. 

Both codes need each other. I think Dave Smith can work that out without me telling him. 

#18 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

This world cup has been bloody brill can't believe anyone can knock the brilliant pools, what's the alternative 100plus scores - if you want that watch rah rah

#19 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

If you get a chance, dig out some of the Aussie press articles from the past week or so (e.g. Sydney Morning Herald for one I think) ... I think Petero was referring to the fact that some blinkered journalists in Aus were focusing on the handful of one-sided matches and ludicrously tarnishing the tournament as a whole with that same brush. I'm glad such a prominent figure is giving it back to them!

Yeah I've read them. I really can't see the point of rubbishing the competition, if thousands (and millions on TV) Get pleasure from a sporting event why be a misery guts.
Maybe it wasn't clear but I was agreeing with Petero, just giving my take on whether it was "lopsided" or not
It isn't.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#20 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Here's the thing for the detractors to ask themselves.

" What would you be doing this time of the year were it not for this

" Do you miss Rugby League in the off season "

' No ? "

Your not a Rugby league supporter , you're a brand sheep.

I've agreed with 90+% of what you have written during this World Cup but your final line is so accurate it nearly makes me emotional. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users