Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers mean Business

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

especially with two other SL  clubs almost within walking distance both of which especially Wakefield  have  far greater potential

Of the three clubs in this small area Featherstone are performing far better than the other two  as a sporting organisation but as far as potential to become a power in the game, well that's a different question.

If people had opened their minds, and thought about what united them rather than followed the small town rivalries, egos and vested interests and had the courage to get behind the merger in 1995 it might, just might have been a different story.

Indeed it might have been a different story, but didn't I see you in the march protesting about mergers back in 1995 ?

Have you changed your mind ?

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#22 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

especially with two other SL  clubs almost within walking distance both of which especially Wakefield  have  far greater potential

Of the three clubs in this small area Featherstone are performing far better than the other two  as a sporting organisation but as far as potential to become a power in the game, well that's a different question.

If people had opened their minds, and thought about what united them rather than followed the small town rivalries, egos and vested interests and had the courage to get behind the merger in 1995 it might, just might have been a different story.

Chris, didn't you take part in the anti merger march back in 95??
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#23 wirecab

wirecab
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Good luck to Fev- forward looking and investing to capitalise on what comes out of the new structures in a few years time 

#24 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

Really impressive. The championship is where the real growth will continue to come from throughout England. 

As the NRL is finding out, a strong second tier is the most important part of the game. 

Well done. Times are changing, improving. In a great area as well. 

#25 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

They're building a "world class facility" for GBP300,000? They should get on the phone to some football clubs then, QPR's new training complex is coming in at 25million. Tottenham have just sent a similar sum.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#26 Steve8592

Steve8592
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

L'angelo mysterioso please tell me you are taking the mickey with mergers there isnt a single true rugby league(club) supporter who believes mergers are a good idea

#27 lorne mosley.

lorne mosley.
  • Coach
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:43 AM

So how many in super league have centres of excellence. Then?

Edited by lorne mosley., 22 November 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#28 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

They're building a "world class facility" for GBP300,000? They should get on the phone to some football clubs then, QPR's new training complex is coming in at 25million. Tottenham have just sent a similar sum.

That is not too bad for a second tier club. 

For comparison would be the Broncos in the NRL, they just spent 6.5 million on a Academy at Logan-city,  and they are also spending 20 million on a training ground across the road in the heart of Brisbane from their clubs Head-quarters. 

Their feeder clubs are 3-4 of the biggest in Brisbane, Redcliffe city, Wynnum/Manly and Ipswich city, now they have invested into Logan city. 

The Warriors in NZ just shelled out for a High-altitude room for their training Gym. They are owned by a billionaire as well. 

Rugby league is doing nicely. 

Well done to Featherstone. Making 300 thousand pound stretch that far should be applauded.  

#29 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hang on a minute, Fev already have the outdoor pitches on their very own 17 acres of land. We're talking about RL here in terms of world class not Premiership Football. I don't know but presumably QPR and Spurs are having to buy land to facilitate their respective initiatives? Fev don't.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 22 November 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#30 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

And here we go again........
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#31 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

[/quote]

That is not too bad for a second tier club.

For comparison would be the Broncos in the NRL, they just spent 6.5 million on a Academy at Logan-city, and they are also spending 20 million on a training ground across the road in the heart of Brisbane from their clubs Head-quarters.

Their feeder clubs are 3-4 of the biggest in Brisbane, Redcliffe city, Wynnum/Manly and Ipswich city, now they have invested into Logan city.

The Warriors in NZ just shelled out for a High-altitude room for their training Gym. They are owned by a billionaire as well.
Rugby league is doing nicely.
Well done to Featherstone. Making 300 thousand pound stretch that far should be applauded.

You can't compare building costs between the UK and Oz. it seems way cheaper to build over here.

Look at the Titans Skiled Park. $160m to build a 27k seater. St Helen's Lagtree Park, less than a third of the price at £30m- though smaller in capacity.

Edited by goldcoaster, 22 November 2013 - 07:16 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Featherstone got name checked along with Wakefield and Castleford yesterday morning on test match special yesterday as he quickly moved on conversation from the Aussie commentator talking about "soccer" being played at the Gabba to State of Origin and then growing up within "2, 3 and 5" miles of the three clubs.  Sounded enthusastic and knowledgeable about the sport.

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

It's the state of the art Centre Of Excellence that excites me the most. As good as and better than most in world rugby league according to Mark Campbell. As well as the obvious benefits to Rovers players it will be a substantial, all year round income generator also.

I was referring to the risk that you highlighted in your original post Terry.

#34 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Chris, didn't you take part in the anti merger march back in 95??

I did but am now thinking it was the wrong thing to do

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

It's the state of the art Centre Of Excellence that excites me the most. As good as and better than most in world rugby league according to Mark Campbell. As well as the obvious benefits to Rovers players it will be a substantial, all year round income generator also.

how does this compare with Warrington's centre of excellence which was recently built? He seems confident that it is the best in UK RL which surprises me for a relatively modest amount.

#36 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

how does this compare with Warrington's centre of excellence which was recently built? He seems confident that it is the best in UK RL which surprises me for a relatively modest amount.

To be fair there is probably some poetic licence......

facility's wise it may be up there with the best, maybe they have cut back on the trimmings and used sponsors to keep the build cost down?

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,229 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yes I did

Although I was in favour of the merger

My son who was twelve was against it

I spent the previous night making placards with him and went on the march with him 

It meant a lot to me that he felt strongly about something like that at his age and I was proud to support him

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 22 November 2013 - 09:57 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,229 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Indeed it might have been a different story, but didn't I see you in the march protesting about mergers back in 1995 ?

See my previous post

Did you take part in the march?

Keeping it local

#39 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Apparently modelled on the Warrington complex Dave probably through JB's involvement. The cost I understand has been kept down largely through the build being done by volunteers, the same amazing people who are erecting the two new stands. They deserve some sort of award for what they've done for the club.

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,229 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

At the risk of boring people, I thought this was worth posting. A good news story indeed
http://www.featherst...le.php?id=12477

Far from it

Well worth posting and great news

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users