Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rovers mean Business

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

I was referring to the risk that you highlighted in your original post Terry.

Lol, I see now!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

a number of SL clubs have centres of excellence on the agenda, widnes are building theirs as i type which is modelled on the liverpool fc academy complex, this is the way forward for all rl clubs........

Edited by Viking Warrior, 22 November 2013 - 10:22 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Aren't Centres of Excellence required for clubs who won't have academies?

In the RFL 'strategy' doc, I mean.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Great stuff Rovers! Well done to all concerned.

A Fev Blog

#45 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

[Cheeky advertising mode on]

Oh aye, and if you want to buy this amazing book....

FR+Front+cover+2013+.jpg

it's in the club shop and online: http://feathers.rlst...ct/2013YEARBOOK

[Cheeky advertising mode off]

A Fev Blog

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

a number of SL clubs have centres of excellence on the agenda, widnes are building theirs as i type which is modelled on the liverpool fc academy complex, this is the way forward for all rl clubs........

Correct

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#47 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

What Featherstone are doing is fantastic for them and the game, they should be universally applauded and held up as a shining example of forward thinking and good management.

It's OK comparing Thatto Heath but they're an amateur club and therefore have funding streams and grants available that a Pro club doesn't. They also don't have to cope with balancing the business side of a pro club while also putting out and running a competitive Championship team.

Comparisons with SL clubs like Warrington and Widnes are also unfair because a Championship club doesn't have the same level of investment, local Council assistance, Sponsorship etc..

Each of the above have all done great things but I think it's more difficult for a club like FR than it is for the others.

Edited by OMEGA, 22 November 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#48 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

What Featherstone are doing is fantastic for them and the game, they should be universally applauded and held up as a shining example of forward thinking and good management.

It's OK comparing Thatto Heath but they're an amateur club and therefore have funding streams and grants available that a Pro club doesn't. They also don't have to cope with balancing the business side of a pro club while also putting out and running a competitive Championship team.

Comparisons with SL clubs like Warrington and Widnes are also unfair because a Championship club doesn't have the same level of investment, local Council assistance, Sponsorship etc..

Each of the above have all done great things but I think it's more difficult for a club like FR than it is for the others.

Correct

Keeping it local

#49 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I was anti-mergers in '95 (aged 21).

I'm now pro-mergers.

Circumstances change, people change, over the course of time you sometimes start to see benefit in things that initially didn't appeal.

We needed stronger leadership and braver decision makers back then. In some ways the '95 plan was too soon - ahead of its time.

The time is now. We need the 4 mergers (Hull, Calder, Cheshire & Cumbria) and IMHO they will happen.

#50 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'm now pro-mergers.

Circumstances change, people change, over the course of time you sometimes start to see benefit in things that initially didn't appeal.

We needed stronger leadership and braver decision makers back then. In some ways the '95 plan was too soon - ahead of its time.

The time is now. We need the 4 mergers (Hull, Calder, Cheshire & Cumbria) and IMHO they will happen.

The thing is though, What would Cas offer to Featherstone apart from their spot in Super League?

We think we can get there ourselves, we think we have better facilities too, we believe we can muster just as much support as they do.  We are a club on the up, sadly the once great Castleford (whom I love to hate!) seem to be in decline.

Wakefield should be nowhere near a merger in any circumstances, they should stand alone as a "City" (or biggish town with a cathedral) team.

#51 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

cant see the mergers happening DSK , as far as i know they arent even being considered by the RFL and there is too much opposition from the fans , certainly in the calder area and the chances of a combined hull side are zilch , pretty sure that would apply to all the othereas suggested as well

#52 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm now pro-mergers.

The trouble is for an idea, even a good idea to work there has to be the will, ability, energy and lack of self interest to make it work

The mergers then and now could be the best ideas on earth but there are too many obstacles in the way

Featherstone have done brilliantly in reinventing many aspects of their club, deserve all the credit that's going and the original poster is quite right to bring it to people's attention

But what happens in the immediate mid term future to the game as a whole worries me

As a spectator I don't want to see Catalans out of the elite comp on the back of say one bad season for instance, I don't want there to be obstacles in the way to a club like Toulouse

I find the idea of narrowing down the scope of the elite comp disappointing

I do disagree with you about the Cheshire and hull clubs merging though they gave too much going for them and too much potential

Keeping it local

#53 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

The thing is though, What would Cas offer to Featherstone apart from their spot in Super League?

We think we can get there ourselves, we think we have better facilities too, we believe we can muster just as much support as they do.  We are a club on the up, sadly the once great Castleford (whom I love to hate!) seem to be in decline.

Wakefield should be nowhere near a merger in any circumstances, they should stand alone as a "City" (or biggish town with a cathedral) team.

In theory they’ve got circa 6K supporters that any merged entity will need if it were ever to make it to SL. They will also increase the pool off juniors that sign up for said new club and concentrate potential sponsors/investors to one club rather than two.

However great it sounds in theory though, it will never happen in practice.

Trinity need to sort themselves out and have a good few years without being on the brink of financial collapse. If that happens and Newmarket finally gets built then they could go on to be a standalone club, if not then they are just as susceptible to being merged as the other two.

#54 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Featherstone Rovers in an elite league is a joke, sadly it is a joke that the incumbent RFL dinosaurs do not find funny.

Finances (or rather, lack of them) within the game will necessitate these 4 mergers. All 4 areas need them and so does the wider sport.

#55 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Featherstone Rovers in an elite league is a joke, sadly it is a joke that the incumbent RFL dinosaurs do not find funny.

Finances (or rather, lack of them) within the game will necessitate these 4 mergers. All 4 areas need them and so does the wider sport.

You my friend are ignorant and clueless, and you call SL an elite league? Is that an elite league where numerous clubs are struggling and poorly run?

#56 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Mergers will not generate the finance necessary for a fully pro sport. As I keep saying the truth is that RL in the UK is very much a minority sport that can only support a semi pro existence for all but a (slightly less than) handful of clubs.

#57 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

what exactly do you mean by a joke or are you just on a wind up or Fev bashing (seems quite a popular sport on here by a certain few)

Edited by the phoenix, 22 November 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#58 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Anyone who would deny Featherstonentheir right to win a chance at the big time has lost the plot and no longer understands the nature of sport!

I'm not one who subscribes to 'sport is a business'
Of course a club should be run as a business and wash its own face financially but the purpose of its existence shouldn't be sacrificed at the alter of a business god or even some over ambitious and conceited Chaiman.

Looking beyond clubs at the sport itself, it's members and it's governing body they too need to realise that the business side of sport should be secondary to the ethos of the sport. Recent decisions by the SGB and it's members have been against the very nature and good health of the sport both now and especially in the future, they've forgotten or never knew just why Rugby League/sport exists and why it once thrived. Removing some of the youth pathways, reducing the number of development officers etc in order to streamline the business is self serving, tantamount to incompetence and an abdication of duty.

Those who would seek to deny a club it's place in the big time, whether that's Featherstone in the Super League or Wigan Athletic in Europe have sold out and or been brainwashed by the likes of SKY.

#59 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

i think SDK should change his sport to rugby union his eliteist views would go down well there

#60 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

L'angelo mysterioso please tell me you are taking the mickey with mergers there isnt a single true rugby league(club) supporter who believes mergers are a good idea

Shows how you can be wrong sometimes,  I am in favor of some mergers, and i could live with others, there is of course always the alternitive sometime in the future of being able to say " we had one of the best teams their was before they packed up "

Well done to Fev by the way, A club obviously working hard to get where they want to be. I hope they get there myself, Although i hope their owners have a different outlook to some on here  or they will last a couple of seasons.  Think they will get into the real world fast enough, good luck to them.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt