Rovers mean Business

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,278 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Featherstone Rovers in an elite league is a joke, sadly it is a joke that the incumbent RFL dinosaurs do not find funny.

Finances (or rather, lack of them) within the game will necessitate these 4 mergers. All 4 areas need them and so does the wider sport.

It isn't a joke at all

You should show some respect for a fine club thatviscdoing a brilliant job

You miss the point completely

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

See my previous post

Did you take part in the march?

No I didn't take part in the march.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I was anti-mergers in '95 (aged 21).

I'm now pro-mergers.

Circumstances change, people change, over the course of time you sometimes start to see benefit in things that initially didn't appeal.

We needed stronger leadership and braver decision makers back then. In some ways the '95 plan was too soon - ahead of its time.

The time is now. We need the 4 mergers (Hull, Calder, Cheshire & Cumbria) and IMHO they will happen.

by cheshire i presume you mean widnes and warrington??? the first word begins with F and the second word is OFF............it will never happen!!!!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

I assumed it was a new club as there aren't any in Cheshire.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#65 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

he mentioned the M word griff....................merger.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 22 November 2013 - 06:02 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#66 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

well done featherstone, any club that invests in youth for the long term is worthy of praise in my opinion. this is to become the norm at long last in RL whereby clubs are looking at home grown talent as opposed to antipodean journeymen....

#67 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Fev. seem to be doing all the right things under the current arrangements. Therefore if they meet exIsting criteria and if they apply and they are awarded an SL i am are they will do a good job.

However, I would hate to see the rules changed in a way that would enter them in SL only to relegated them one season later if they had a shaky start.

This thread though is not the best one for a mergers discussion. might be worth a separate club-independent and rational discussion.

#68 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,281 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

This thread though is not the best one for a mergers discussion. might be worth a separate club-independent and rational discussion.

ain't that just the case...
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#69 ov fev

ov fev
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

All talk of mergers for any clubs should be assigned to room 101

#70 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

This picture sums everything up about my love for Featherstone.

9619315014_2b70a68d53_z.jpg

Whether we do or don't deserve Super League is always up for debate. But what the club (as a whole) has achieved since 2006 is quite simply staggering.

Over the years, we've seen some incredible highs and some horrible lows, but what we have got is unbelievable sense of togetherness, that has seen  the club grown into what it is today.

I'm proud to be a Fev Fan and I love taking the photos for the club. People like Chris have supported me and given some priceless advice and i'll always be grateful.

Edited by Chris Taylor, 22 November 2013 - 07:46 PM.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#71 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

You my friend are ignorant and clueless, and you call SL an elite league? Is that an elite league where numerous clubs are struggling and poorly run?

It is an elite league as in they control the doors, but half the revellers cant afford a drink

#72 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

You have to take your hats to the board at rovers they are certainly putting in the cash in improving the old post office rd in fact although they may be the smaller of the 3 clubs in the area they are putting the other two too shame. As I see it you have got to give them a chance and crack at super league if they win the right. The talk of mergers the ideal ones to merge in the current climate and state of clubs are Oldham and Rochdale to become Manchester mets playing games at spotland and boundary park . Although im personally not in favour of any mergers . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

#73 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

All talk of mergers for any clubs should be assigned to room 101

i did say club- independent and rational, so you don't have to join in.

#74 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,281 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

It is an elite league as in they control the doors, but half the revellers cant afford a drink

an astute analogy.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#75 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,278 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

This picture sums everything up about my love for Featherstone.

9619315014_2b70a68d53_z.jpg

Whether we do or don't deserve Super League is always up for debate. But what the club (as a whole) has achieved since 2006 is quite simply staggering.

Over the years, we've seen some incredible highs and some horrible lows, but what we have got is unbelievable sense of togetherness, that has seen the club grown into what it is today.

I'm proud to be a Fev Fan and I love taking the photos for the club. People like Chris have supported me and given some priceless advice and i'll always be grateful.

Thank you for those kind words chris
I appreciate them more than you can know
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#76 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

The thing is though, What would Cas offer to Featherstone apart from their spot in Super League?

We think we can get there ourselves, we think we have better facilities too, we believe we can muster just as much support as they do. We are a club on the up, sadly the once great Castleford (whom I love to hate!) seem to be in decline.

Wakefield should be nowhere near a merger in any circumstances, they should stand alone as a "City" (or biggish town with a cathedral) team.

You cant see the wood for the trees mate.....
Just think what could be achieved if all three clubs put there efforts in one basket?
Cas had the site, fev had the stands, wakey had the err roof....
All three clubs could continue as feeder clubs. .....
Or theres the status quo of three struggling stubborn clubs...

Edited by yipyee, 23 November 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#77 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just think what could be achieved if all three clubs put there efforts in one basket?

Land that Cas didn't (and never will/would) own, a few stands that hold about 4000. Yep, a sure recipe for success.......

#78 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

At a cost of £350K I think Rovers version has a bit more to offer, such as offices, physio dept, video analysis suite, wrestle area, weights and cardio areas as well as a running track. The club is already fielding enquiries from pro sporting clubs.

'Its state of the art. The best in RL and that includes the NRL' - Mark Campbell, Featherstone Rovers Chairman

What a load of rubbish coming from Mark Campbell. Great news fev but to say that its better than anything in the NRL is clear garbage. I have been and spent time at Melbourne and Souths the facilities they have are futuristic and cost way more than 350K. Melbourne have a fitness room for example where they can change the air pressure and have the latest machines that cost millions. Next door is the swimming pool and recovery baths at AAMI Park. Souths training facilities at Redfearn are again top notch with the latest technology as well as housing the community base there. Gold Coast spent 40 Million on their training facilities

#79 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

No crowds though, there is literally no interest locally in a merged team.

How would you pay the wages?

#80 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,624 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Was hoping for a sensible debate about mergers independent of club loyalties. Good luck to Featherstone and any other clubs that grasp the nettles. No harm in a little hype..you do have to shout to be heard in the media these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users