• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

http://www.fijivilla...2972c0ab73fd42c

"Fiji National Rugby League Chairman Peni Musunamasi is disappointed after receiving an email from the International body stating that the Vodafone Fiji Bati should have a rematch with Samoa next year for a place in the Four Nations."

While I'd love to see this rematch happen, surely Fiji have now done enough to ensure a crack at the big guns in a 4N tournament?

I think most peoples' understanding was that an appearance in the WC semis was enough - in fact Fiji have now achieved this twice in two consecutive World Cups now.

#2 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Oh, I did like this bit though ...

"If everything falls into place then there is a possibility that the Vodafone Fiji Bati may play England in Fiji next year if the organizers of the Four Nations give the green light."

#3 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

Yes i thought that we were under the 'understanding' that whichever Pacific team made it the furtherest in the World Cup got the nod for the 4 nations next year. 

What they should do is not try to upset Fiji, just add this game on as a rematch before they play in the four nations.

Fiji should be through no matter what, they have proven they are the best team by far.

If they win the World Cup the Federation will look silly.

Fiji have now been runners up in two world cups. They are way past this nonsense and it still seems the game is being run by amateurs at top level.  

#4 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

A re-match between Fiji and Samoa would be a match that could be sold though so maybe that is the logic. The longer that you watch RL the more you realise that it just doesn't have an international program or structure like football, union or even cricket. Wayne Bennett recently said that this World Cup was not just about Australia, New Zealand and England but about where rugby league will be in 40 years time. I think that is a viewpoint that many of the administrators running rugby league have not even considered.

#5 Exiled Rhino

Exiled Rhino
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Wayne Bennett recently said that this World Cup was not just about Australia, New Zealand and England but about where rugby league will be in 40 years time. I think that is a viewpoint that many of the administrators running rugby league have not even considered.

Has Wayne Bennett ever said or done anything wrong in relation to RL?

#6 Andy T

Andy T
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I started a post a couple of weeks ago asking how the world cup should affect the next 4 nations basically looking for another team to come forward as the next best team. I think Fiji have satisfied that criteria but think that seeing as though it was never set in stone whoever finished top got the spot, a rematch would be an excellent addition to a hopefully expanded international scene next season. A bit harsh on Fiji maybe but I am sure they probably fancy their chances in another match anyways.

#7 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Has Wayne Bennett ever said or done anything wrong in relation to RL?

Yes

The Coach that paraded Anthony Mundine in a Broncos shirt mid season while he was still contracted to the Dragons.

The same coach that later dropped Justin Hodges because he signed with a Sydney Club and was disloyal and did not repay the investment the Broncos had invested in him.

Edited by boxhead, 23 November 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#8 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Perhaps the organisers are thinking about both countries minus a number of their NRL players.

Fiji without it's NRL players would be a very different side versus Samoa with a smattering of NRL players + more NSW / Queensland cup players to call on would be more competitive.

Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit , 

#9 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Fiji v Samoa playoff seems to have been confirmed:

http://www.smh.com.a...1123-2y2me.html

#10 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Fiji v Samoa playoff seems to have been confirmed:

http://www.smh.com.a...1123-2y2me.html

Yes, and this is very good, excellent. In Bennett we trust, and we have to start walking now we have crawled. 

Baby steps are needed and this is a baby step. Same as Super League is going to have to crawl  learn to walk again. 

This weekend is a dead weekend. The Test Match between Australia NZ is great, problem is we then have a dead weekend and the other code gets a free shot at us . 

So having another contest is great, i am not sure now where and when Samoa will play Tonga. That game is starting to get tasty as well on the calender. 

So Kiwis Oz Friday Night, Fiji Samoa Saturday night, hopefully live on free to air, and City Country Sunday. 

The calender for next year looks fantastic. Nines, World Club Challenge, That weekend i just mentioned, Origins and Finals plus great four nations, that should keep us in the news. 

We now need to keep test matches flowing, quality matches, no junk-mail. 

All these games should be on premeir sports which has grown a good following. 

I still think the NRL can help grow the super-league,. after all, Australia and NZ are exotic places for English and French  lads. 

#11 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Where are you from Oikee, out of interest?

#12 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Where are you from Oikee, out of interest?

Brisbane to Toowoomba.. Wife is a pom and likes the 4 seasons on the Mountains. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users