Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Terry Fogerty RIP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 491 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Hornets forward Terry Fogerty, 69 Terry played for Hornets 1973/75. After signing from Halifax for £7,000 a record for Hornets in that day and age. I remember Terry as an all action forward, who gained a cap against France while with Hornets. 

Terry coached Hornets for a short while, which sadly did not work out.

RIP

Edited by ArthurDaley, 22 November 2013 - 07:15 PM.

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#2 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Really skillful, hardrunning prop or second rower. He had it all, brilliant ballhandling skills, deceptive pace, size. When he was in the mood he was devasting, on his day nobody was better. Trouble was he wasn't always in the mood. I remember Hornets paying to fly him back from his holidays to play in a crucial Challenge Cup tie replay at Oldham. He may as well stayed on the beach in Tenerife as Hornets were well beaten with Terry being anonymous.
I remember his debut, I think we played Wigan at the old Athletic Grounds and Terry ran them ragged from the second row inspiring us to a great win. He had a loping running style, he didn't seem to be moving all that quickly but nobody seemed to catch up with him. He also had a tremendous long pass, the ball came flat and fast.
RIP Terry

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 23 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#3 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Probably the most skillful forward I have ever seen in an Hornets shirt. Very sad news.

Was he the last Hornets player to win a full international cap while at the club? I know Hodkinson and Butler went on tour but dont think they made test teams while on tour.

Very sad news.

#4 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hodgkinson didn't play a test although he was picked in the original squad whilst Ward who came in to replace someone played in all the tests. They could at least have given him a seat on the bench for taking all the hits in the non-test games.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#5 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Probably the most skillful forward I have ever seen in an Hornets shirt. Very sad news.Was he the last Hornets player to win a full international cap while at the club? I know Hodkinson and Butler went on tour but dont think they made test teams while on tour.Very sad news.

I agree Terry was a skillful forward but at the same time we had another player who I have always thought to be the most skilful player I have seen in a Hornets shirt.

Tony Halmshaw who played in the same pack as a Terry if I remember correctly. A magnificent ball player who compliment Terry and was also signed from Halifax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users