Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum

• Please log in to reply
386 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (20 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (20 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

Not much about how to get the pound the SNP would have to give up various controls and keep Trident?  All seems to be how its a victory for Salmond.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#282 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

Makes you wonder why the fearless and fervently anti- government  Guardian didn't  publish the name of the ( presumably ex- ) Minister, given the secrets they have leaked over the years. Unless...well..maybe....

Sources have to be protected if they want to keep getting things like this.  I'd assume you'd respect that the Guardian has proven that they'll do anything to protect a source.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#283 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yes, of course.But how much more of a hatchet job they could have done if they'd named him.   Now they've left me wondering if he exists at all. 

#284 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Makes you wonder why the fearless and fervently anti- government  Guardian didn't  publish the name of the ( presumably ex- ) Minister, given the secrets they have leaked over the years. Unless...well..maybe....

Have you read The Guardian since 2010? It's hardly 'anti-government' these days. Editorially, it has often given the coalition the easiest of rides, probably because they urged their readers to vote Liberal Democrat in the last election.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#285 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Doesn't seem that way..though I only read the on-line edition in parts. I'm losing stamina as I age. http://www.theguardi...k/commentisfree  is hardly fulsome support for Cameron

#286 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

That is a shame.  Johann Hari was always the most hideous part of the newspaper and I thought his disgrace would improve it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#287 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Doesn't seem that way..though I only read the on-line edition in parts. I'm losing stamina as I age. http://www.theguardi...k/commentisfree  is hardly fulsome support for Cameron

Comment is free (the page you've linked to) is about generating discussion and I believe anyone can submit stuff to be put in there (whether they do put it on the site is another matter).

As someone who doesn't mind the Guardian (or the Telegraph to be honest) I often find the articles on Cif (as the regulars like to call it) the most hate filled diatribe this side of the daily mail.

Maybe we should have a competition to see who can get an article on it! 

#288 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

:fie:

. :)  :)

To be honest, I find the Indy  not too bad. Its clearly not independent any more..I just find the unrelenting miserable aesceticism of The Guardian quite depressing. If that's what Lid-demism is about, then no wonder they are doing so poorly. I think though that really The Guardian is just "against everything..all the time."

Edited by JohnM, 01 April 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#289 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

I didn't say it was pro-Tory. There are quite enough British newspapers filling that particular quota without the Grauniad joining the love-in. But it cannot accurately be described as 'anti-government' these days. It has, at times, been utterly blind in its admiration of Cleggism at work in the coalition and this nauseating piece, from today's edition, reads like a press release from Conservative Central Office, so fulsome is it in praise of the latest disingenuous guff from George Osborne on 'full employment'.

http://www.theguardi...illion-new-jobs

They quite often help to stick the boot directly into Labour too. Another example from today:

http://www.theguardi...t-len-mccluskey

Not that this has anything to do with the Scottish Independence referendum, so apologies for going slightly off topic! ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#290 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Apology accepted on behalf of the whole forum. :biggrin: :biggrin:

So where are we up to poll-wise? What the latest betting?

BTW, I am still in favour of complete independence, honestly.  Trying to manage a country of 5 million surely has to be easier than trying to manage a United Kingdom of 60 million.

#291 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

So where are we up to poll-wise? What the latest betting?

BTW, I am still in favour of complete independence, honestly.  Trying to manage a country of 5 million surely has to be easier than trying to manage a United Kingdom of 60 million.

Which is why I was in favour of regional assemblies.  The north of England has quite significantly different priorities, needs and political leanings than the south west, same with the other regions of the UK.  Of the substantive regions of the UK, we have semi- to quite powerful regional assemblies in London, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the rest of the country has to put up with what they get from Westminster and their county councils.  Doesn't make the case for independence though.

The Scots elected a party to their regional assembly that had a manifesto item of delivering a referendum on independence, they're delivering that promise and aren't doing that bad a job of making the case.  I can't see them making it past the post though, there are quite a few people who will happily vote SNP for a party but will be voting no in the referendum.  If they are to make it, it'll take a few more momentous errors from the Better Together lot rather than good politicking from the SNP.  Maybe a leaflet drop with a picture of Maggie Thatcher and a caption of "Maggie would have wanted us to stay together".

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#292 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

Very gracious. :)

Meanwhile (and very much on topic! ) ...

Ban Scots from voting at 2015 General Election if they gain independence, say Tories

http://www.independe...es-9234135.html

Slightly misleading headline, it should say 'some Tories'. Anyone would think they were trying to encourage the Scots to vote yes!

Even if the referendum is a yes to independence, it won't happen overnight and until such time as it does happen, Scotland should be fully represented in the UK Parliament.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#293 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Very gracious. :)

Meanwhile (and very much on topic! ) ...

Ban Scots from voting at 2015 General Election if they gain independence, say Tories

http://www.independe...es-9234135.html

Slightly misleading headline, it should say 'some Tories'. Anyone would think they were trying to encourage the Scots to vote yes!

Even if the referendum is a yes to independence, it won't happen overnight and until such time as it does happen, Scotland should be fully represented in the UK Parliament.

I'm surprised after reading that that Scottish MPs still get to vote on matters which are of no concern to Scotland.

#294 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

It will have effectively happened overnight as they will have said yes to independence.  Therefore, they have said no to the UK and shouldn't play any further part in Westminster elections.  Likewise, any Scottish MPs in Parliament from that point forward should be barred from voting in any issue at Westminster as they could seriously prejudice legislation and policy which would be nothing to do with Scots.

#295 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Today's edition of the Daily Mail argues that of there were to be a "Yes" vote there would have to be a General Election as the loss of 59 MPs ( 41 Labour) would radically alter the political landscape.
A net loss of 40 Labour MPs would be a major problem for the Labour Party.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#296 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Saturday 12th April. 15.00 hrs.

On TV now:  Nuremburg Rally, Salmond style

#297 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

It will have effectively happened overnight as they will have said yes to independence.  Therefore, they have said no to the UK and shouldn't play any further part in Westminster elections.  Likewise, any Scottish MPs in Parliament from that point forward should be barred from voting in any issue at Westminster as they could seriously prejudice legislation and policy which would be nothing to do with Scots.

This is pure hypocrisy.  Not having a majority in Scotland didn't stop the Thatcher government from introducing the Poll Tax there first. 

• ckn likes this
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#298 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

This is pure hypocrisy.  Not having a majority in Scotland didn't stop the Thatcher government from introducing the Poll Tax there first. 

What's that got to do with anything?  Completely irrelevant since Scotland wasn't independent.

#299 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

The Tories had a majority in the UK of which Scotland is part. Labour didn't have a majority in the South East of England when Blair & Brown were in power, was their administration undemocratic?

Hardly the same as a government majority that exists solely because of foreigners having representation in a parliament.

#300 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,723 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

I think it's fairly settled ground that politicians will happily experiment on areas where they're not going to gain many votes.  For Thatcher, that was the north of England, Wales and Scotland.  Blair was so intent on getting the votes of the south that he didn't push too far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users