Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. No (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#321 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Tuesday, a cafe in Crieff.
12 bikers. 12 teas. However when asked to pay, I said that Alex Salmond said it was free like everything in Scotland. In a strong Glasgow accent, the proprietor said, He a lying #### that Salmond. ...he then really set about him!!! The yes vote is not yet assured!!!

Next Up.. opinion in Fort William.

Edited by JohnM, 20 May 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#322 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

Tuesday, a cafe in Crieff.
12 bikers. 12 teas. However when asked to payIng I said that Alex Salmond said it was free like everything in Scotland. In AARON strong Glasgow accent, the proprietor said, He a lying #### that Salmond. ...he then really set about him!!! The yes vote is not yet assured!!!

He was probably a Rangers fans

#323 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

http://blogs.channel..._medium=twitter

The UK and Scottish governments have published rival estimates of how Scotland’s finances would fare in the event of a “yes” vote in September’s independence referendum.

And the estimates are wildly different. The Treasury says Scots will benefit to the tune of about £1,400 a year if they choose to stay in the United Kingdom.

The Scottish Nationalist government says almost exactly the opposite, predicting an annual independence “bonus” of £1,000 for every man, woman and child in Scotland.

Who’s right?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#324 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Classy response on social media to J K Rowling's donation of a million quid to the 'no' campaign.

http://www.dailyreco...rowling-3678219

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#325 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

tonight's BBC Question Time. Joan Burnie, the "no" campaign secret weapon! Virulently anti-English, irrational, hectoring, interrupting..

#326 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

She was a tad condescending ...

Wasn't too impressed by that Savage chap either.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#327 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

George Galloway speaks strongly for maintaining the United Kingdom.

#328 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Well that's another few voters for the "yes" camp then!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#329 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Quite.  I hate being on the wrong side of an argument, but this shows that clearly I am.

#330 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

not keen on Galloway

but IMHO that's one of the better pieces of rhetoric on the subject.

I hope they get their independence though. It will be a spectator sport only second to Rugby League

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#331 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

The campaign is for the undecided voters, hence the safe options - 

Keep the pound.

Keep the Queen.

Join NATO

We will be an independent Scotland but you won't notice a difference...

• ckn likes this

#332 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

not keen on Galloway

but IMHO that's one of the better pieces of rhetoric on the subject.

I hope they get their independence though. It will be a spectator sport only second to Rugby League

Galloway is an outstanding orator but his personality, politics and general oiliness make him extremely unlikeable.  Generally, I find that if he's agreeing with something then I want to disagree and find that I need to convince myself otherwise even on things I'd naturally also agree with.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#333 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Galloway is an outstanding orator but his personality, politics and general oiliness make him extremely unlikeable.  Generally, I find that if he's agreeing with something then I want to disagree and find that I need to convince myself otherwise even on things I'd naturally also agree with.

I don't know whether you've met Galloway, but I have and I don't think he's unlikeable. He wouldn't be so prominent if he was.

I disagree with him on many things, in many cases very strongly, but when you meet him Galloway is engaging, humorous, courteous and amusing.

He is actually rather more likeable than many people whose opinions I would probably have far more sympathy with.

#334 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I don't know whether you've met Galloway, but I have and I don't think he's unlikeable. He wouldn't be so prominent if he was.

I disagree with him on many things, in many cases very strongly, but when you meet him Galloway is engaging, humorous, courteous and amusing.

He is actually rather more likeable than many people whose opinions I would probably have far more sympathy with.

I have actually met him and he just grated on me, he was like a stuck musical note "me me me me me me".  He tunes himself to his audience though, those who can do things for him he becomes a different person to those who he meets and can't do things for him.

#335 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

I have actually met him and he just grated on me, he was like a stuck musical note "me me me me me me".  He tunes himself to his audience though, those who can do things for him he becomes a different person to those who he meets and can't do things for him.

I doubt whether he thought I could do anything for him.

But he's certainly egotistical, although in that regard he is not too different from many other politicians.

#336 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Both sides making in-roads into the "don't know/undecided" voters.  Looks like it's going to be far closer than most people could have imagined a couple of years ago.

#337 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,679 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

The Queen was visiting Scotland and Alex Salmond called by.
HM: How nice to see you Mr Salmond
AS: Nice to see you Ma’am. Now, what are we going to call Scotland when we win Independence? How about calling it a Kingdom, and then I’ll be a King?
HM: No, we don’t like that.
AS: All right, so how about calling it a Principality, and then I’ll be a Prince?
HM: .... (thinks).... No Mr Salmond, I think we should call it a Country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users