League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (20 votes [46.51%])

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

2. No (23 votes [53.49%])

Percentage of vote: 53.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#441 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,759 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

First of all i wanted Scotland to stay in the union, but as time as gone along i think its best they they go independent.

No way will this go away with a vote to stay in the union all the while Alex Salmond is around. He will never except a vote to stay in the union and will just keep on and on about it.

I don't know what the long term consequences, good or bad there will be for Scotland, but I'm sure Alex Salmond will have a plan B if plan A doesn't work.

The Scots will at least be in charge of their own destiny, good or bad.  I personally think they'll struggle for a few years then find their feet as a small but prosperous nation.  They're already taking jobs from England from companies that recognise the flexibility of dealing with a smaller and more pragmatic government structure, I've seen more than a few London companies subtly shift support staff up north in the last year or so just in case there's a Yes vote.

The thing I see from this as a northerner is that the North of England really is in much the same situation as Scotland and has far more in common with the Scottish people than the south of England.  The regional assemblies that would have allowed these areas to at least partly adjust their local government to suit local conditions were sabotaged from the very first simply because Prescott was running it against the wishes of the Blairites. If Scotland goes then the disparity of the North against the South of England will be even more apparent, even Labour largely ignore the North now as they know most of their seats there are almost bullet-proof safe seats.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#442 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

The Scots will at least be in charge of their own destiny, good or bad. .

Not if they use the £ they won't, they will be hostages to the Bank of England's whims.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#443 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:34 PM

The Scots will at least be in charge of their own destiny, good or bad.  I personally think they'll struggle for a few years then find their feet as a small but prosperous nation.  They're already taking jobs from England from companies that recognise the flexibility of dealing with a smaller and more pragmatic government structure, I've seen more than a few London companies subtly shift support staff up north in the last year or so just in case there's a Yes vote.

The thing I see from this as a northerner is that the North of England really is in much the same situation as Scotland and has far more in common with the Scottish people than the south of England.  The regional assemblies that would have allowed these areas to at least partly adjust their local government to suit local conditions were sabotaged from the very first simply because Prescott was running it against the wishes of the Blairites. If Scotland goes then the disparity of the North against the South of England will be even more apparent, even Labour largely ignore the North now as they know most of their seats there are almost bullet-proof safe seats.

Its just my opinion that if the Scots vote yes this could lead to a domino affect of the rest of the UK, and then England being devolved in parts that we would have never thought possible 50 years ago.

Interesting times ahead for the whole of the UK as it is this very day.

• ckn likes this

#444 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Its just my opinion that if the Scots vote yes this could lead to a domino affect of the rest of the UK, and then England being devolved in parts that we would have never thought possible 50 years ago.

Interesting times ahead for the whole of the UK as it is this very day.

I'm not sure I can ever see parts of England being devolved but as for consequences with the rest of the UK it's Northern Ireland that I worry about. Let's be honest England, Wales and Northern Ireland isn't much of a union and the nationalists in NI are bound to think that this is an opportunity for them to see the Union break up totally. The Unionists obviously won't agree and we could see an increase in hostilities. The perception that the UK is basically an English empire would be hard to argue with if 92% of the UK's population is English up from 84% with Scotland in.

I'd be sad to see the end of the UK but if Scotland do go I think that we should politically see the end of the Union with further devolution to NI and Wales and I would prefer to see the House of Commons and Lords as a purely English parliament.

#445 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,048 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Apparently although Salmond is keen on devolution from England, in Scottish terms he very much a centraliser and this is one reason why so many of the Scots don't trust him. 

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users