Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. No (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,850 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

The Duchy of Cornwall is rather different from Cornwall. Historical Cornwall is much bigger than modern Cornwall and this is one of the many oddities of Cornish nationalism. 

I don't think it's down to "perception" so much as archaic laws surrounding royal estates that even royalists aren't too happy about.

This is also true of Welsh nationalism which seems quite content to believe that a thing called Wales has always existed within (or close to) its 1974 borders.

I meant the creation of those archaic exemptions were down to the belief/need to treat "Cornwall" differently.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#82 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

This is also true of Welsh nationalism which seems quite content to believe that a thing called Wales has always existed within (or close to) its 1974 borders.

I meant the creation of those archaic exemptions were down to the belief/need to treat "Cornwall" differently.

Yeah but at least Wales actually is mostly what was considered Wales prior the Act of Union. The Duchy of Cornwall has more land in Devon than in Cornwall and goes up as far the Midlands and Wales.

I would have trouble taking a Lancastrian nationalist seriously but I'd find it even odder if he argued that Lancashire is the area governed by Lancashire County Council and thus excluded Barrow, Oldham, Salford, Liverpool, Blackpool etc.

#83 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Bring back Mercia!

Mercia for the Mercians!!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#84 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#85 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

More good news. "Yes" vote up by 3%  see http://www.scotsman....-poll-1-3226485

Now, if only this was a democratic referendum, yes victory would be assured!

#86 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Whatever else is said about Salmond, he knows how to behave with dignity. He was clearly being set up to say something stupid along the lines of "I think I'll wipe my ###### with this England shirt that you gave me" and yet he didn't. What would Farage have said under comparable circumstances?

• ckn likes this

#87 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

More good news. "Yes" vote up by 3%  see http://www.scotsman....-poll-1-3226485

Now, if only this was a democratic referendum, yes victory would be assured!

The interesting thing about that was that the poorer parts of Scotland are in favour of independence while the wealthy want to be part of the union.  History has a strange way of repeating itself.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#88 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

The interesting thing about that was that the poorer parts of Scotland are in favour of independence while the wealthy want to be part of the union.  History has a strange way of repeating itself.

A recent development. Usually the poorest areas vote Labour.

#89 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

A recent development. Usually the poorest areas vote Labour.

My historical repeat point was about the history leading up to the 1707 Act of Union, the great and the good wanted the union to stave off bankruptcy as a nation, the great unwashed wanted nothing to do with England.

#90 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

My historical repeat point was about the history leading up to the 1707 Act of Union, the great and the good wanted the union to stave off bankruptcy as a nation, the great unwashed wanted nothing to do with England.

I got the reference.

The difference is that back then the rich were trying to recoup their investments in Darien but the poor had nothing much to gain from union.

Now the poor get benefits money from London that might be threatened by independence and have thus tended not to support the SNP.

#91 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

http://www.telegraph...ence-plans.html

Ooops Alex's blind insistence that Scotland could remain in the EU whilst leaving the UK is exposed as fantasy again. 

It's not in the article but one of the "proofs" of this position came from a letter written by an EU official to somebody else which he downloaded from a Scottish nationalist forum.

You really couldn't make it up.

#92 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I just love it when a plan comes together!  http://www.scotsman....g-gap-1-3239245

#93 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,043 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

I just love it when a plan comes together! http://www.scotsman....g-gap-1-3239245

Oh yes
There's a lot to be said for the power of positive thinking
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#94 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yet more support for the yes" vote: http://www.scotsman....g-yes-1-3242124

A BURGEONING centre-right movement for Scottish independence is boosted today by a former Conservative politician pledging his support for Yes Scotland.

#95 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

SNP 8 points ahead of Labour  see http://www.scotsman....abour-1-3251567

#96 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,043 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

SNP 8 points ahead of Labour  see http://www.scotsman....abour-1-3251567

A quality scenario would be they vote yes

Then get a knock back by the eu and have to apply from scratch

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#97 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

More support for the YEs campaign from an unexpected quarter.

Canadian mom falls off her horse and wakes with a SCOTTISH accent that she says has changed her life for the better

http://www.dailymail...ife-better.html

#98 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Dual standards from the Tories?  Threats to leave the EU because "we're better off alone" but sniggering at Scotland because "we're better off together".

#99 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Dual standards from the Tories?  Threats to leave the EU because "we're better off alone" but sniggering at Scotland because "we're better off together".

The UK pays money to the EU for the right to belong. Walking away would save us money. Whether it is a good idea or not is another matter.

The rest of the UK subsidises Scotland*. Walking away would cost them money. Not the same.

* the SNP certainly dispute this but almost everybody else agrees

#100 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Not quite what he said.

"We don't want to join the euro, but also our withdrawal from a Europe which succeeded in reforming would be bad for Britain. And a country of the size and global reach of Britain leaving would be very bad for the European Union."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users