TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1133 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (27 votes [49.09%])

Percentage of vote: 49.09%

2. No (28 votes [50.91%])

Percentage of vote: 50.91%

Vote

#1121 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

But Wetherby, Boston Spa etc are part of Leeds Met and probably large numbers of their inhabitants work in Leeds (or Bradford) and as such they are aware of what it;s like to live there.  People who live in and around "the deep South" are basically clueless about "the North."  My daughter, born and bred in Leeds, now living in the Salisbury area will bear this out.

I'd agree that few southerners have much of a clue about the north, however, it's more of a case of them thinking that it's grim and somewhere that they never want to visit than thinking that everything is basically okay up there.

Northerners, in my experience, usually only know about London and base their whole view of "the South" on it.

#1122 Stevo

Stevo
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'd agree that few southerners have much of a clue about the north, however, it's more of a case of them thinking that it's grim and somewhere that they never want to visit than thinking that everything is basically okay up there.

Northerners, in my experience, usually only know about London and base their whole view of "the South" on it.

I'd agree, and you could maybe go even further - Northerners may choose to base their whole view of "the south" on those generally pleasant bits of London they visit on weekend trips or for work.  I'd say that places like Plaistow or Beckton have more in common with parts of Teeside or Sunderland than they do with Covent Garden or Marylebone. Take a trip along the Thames Estuary to Jaywick or Clacton and you'll feel closer to Skegness than you do to Brighton.

No doubt the worst areas for deprivation in England are in the north (mostly in Liverpool IIRC), but to pretend as some folk do that "the south" is some kind of uninterrupted paradise on earth - and that the people who live there are all quids in - is a nonsense.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

#1123 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Isn't Tower Hamlets the most deprived.

I worked for 7 years in Guildford.most of us seemed to have come from the north.

#1124 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

I worked for 7 years in Guildford.most of us seemed to have come from the north.

#1125 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

Officially, the most deprived town in England is Jaywick in Essex.  It's like those trailer-park towns in America but without the infrastructure.  We took a detour through there just after the story once and it really is bad, unmade roads, foul hygiene and seriously dilapidated properties.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#1126 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

As far as I can see, quite a lot of London's residential stock is deprived. Most of the middle class people have moved out, just travelling in each day to work in the city.

What I object to is the way London sucks up our money for things like the Olympics, then gets the benefits of the legacy ... extra sports stadia, new housing stock etc that will provide no benefit for the people who actually funded it through tax and the lottery.

Who actually gets the benefits? Well, 37% of London residents were born outside the UK.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#1127 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Who actually gets the benefits? Well, 37% of London residents were born outside the UK.

Is this an issue if income tax is being paid?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#1128 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Is this an issue if income tax is being paid?

Yes, and if you took those 37% away London would grind to a halt instantly. So what's your problem?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#1129 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

I won't continue this discourse; it has nothing to do with the Scottish referendum.

#1130 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,663 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

I won't continue this discourse; it has nothing to do with the Scottish referendum.

why not start a thread about it using your 37%post as a starter?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#1131 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Because I know most members are sick of hearing my rants about immigration.

:biggrin:

#1132 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:23 AM

I heard somebody accuse Salmond of sour grapes.  Yeah right, like anyone is Scotland would even know where to buy fruit.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#1133 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,663 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:44 AM

h

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 September 2014 - 11:45 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#1134 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

Looks like the right time to lock this and move the debate on to a broader theme here:

After the Scottish referendum - what next? How should the UK be governed?

http://www.totalrl.c...uk-be-governed/

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users