Rugby grounds older than the Mount?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

After posting a slightly 'tongue in cheek' reply on the Rams board, for which I'm sure I'll get short shrift, I got to thinking. The oldest rugby grounds still in use.

Belle Vue 1879

Mount Pleasant 1880

Headingley 1890

I guess you could include Valley Parade 1886, home of Manningham (Bradford City).

#2 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Racecourse Ground, Wrexham 1872. Obviously, Crusaders haven't been there that long!!!

Iffley Road, Oxford, was purchased in 1876, but was a cricket ground until the 1890s (hence the current pavilion). It didn't host rugby league, if I'm right, until 2008 when Oxford Uni played Oxford Brookes, causing several hundred Oxford Uni RUFC alumni to turn in their graves.

Edited by Jonty, 25 November 2013 - 02:08 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#3 Lone Drinker

Lone Drinker
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Racecourse Ground, Wrexham 1872. Obviously, Crusaders haven't been there that long!!!

Iffley Road, Oxford, was purchased in 1876, but was a cricket ground until the 1890s (hence the current pavilion). It didn't host rugby league, if I'm right, until 2008 when Oxford Uni played Oxford Brookes, causing several hundred Oxford Uni RUFC alumni to turn in their graves.

Is this the pavilion...

Team_Shot_web.jpg

Looks smart that.

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

After posting a slightly 'tongue in cheek' reply on the Rams board, for which I'm sure I'll get short shrift, I got to thinking. The oldest rugby grounds still in use.

Belle Vue 1879

Mount Pleasant 1880

Headingley 1890

I guess you could include Valley Parade 1886, home of Manningham (Bradford City).

I don't know if you have the book but "The Grounds of Rugby League" by Trevor Delaney is a fascinating read on this subject, even if it is now slightly out of date.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Why is it out of date BSJ ??

Because it don't mention batleys famous
Blackpool victory or their grand final defeat???

I'm sure they'll put it right in the next millennium edition... ;)

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Why is it out of date BSJ ??

Because it don't mention batleys famous
Blackpool victory or their grand final defeat???

I'm sure they'll put it right in the next millennium edition... ;)

Ha, this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

#7 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

That's coolie for you ...

#8 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Is this the pavilion...

Team_Shot_web.jpg

Looks smart that.

Yes it is. Lovely building on a small mound in the corner of the pitch. I went to Oxford v Gloucestershire this season - it is a wonderful rugby league ground for a summers day (take a picnic), but also has covered seating for a up to a couple of thousand.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users