Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sports Personality of the Year 2013

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

The Shortlist is:

• Ben Ainslie (sailing): possibly a top three, in a lifetime achievement stylee.
  • Ian Bell (cricket): depends on how well/badly the current Ashes are going when people come to vote.
  • Hannah Cockroft (wheelchair racing): probably not. 2012 Paralympics notwithstanding, not high-profile enough to garner sufficient votes.
  • Mo Farah (athletics): a popular guy, and a good chance of placing in the top three.
  • Chris Froome (cycling): to the uncommitted public, somewhat in Wiggin's shadow.
  • Leigh Halfpenny (rugby union): I think he'll miss out, but the BBC are very likely to give the Team award to the Lions.
  • Tony McCoy (horse racing): plenty of fans for this one. A good chance.
  • Andy Murray (tennis): yes, he won Wimbledon, but some people still swallow that poisonous Kelvin McKenzie story about him hating England. Still probably the front-runner.
  • Christine Ohuruogu (athletics): some people still really really want to believe the worst of her.
  • Justin Rose (a good walk spoilt): if we are accepting golf as a sport then winning that game  what he won is apparently a very big deal with the leather elbow patch and driving gloves mob. And if he doesn't win, we'll probably get another amusing whinge from Ian Woosnam.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Not necessarily how I'd vote but I'd go with it being: 1st Murray; 2nd Farah; 3rd Ainslie.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Halfpenny

Murray

Farah

28m391z.jpg

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Halfpenny

:rofl: 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I honestly though Sam Burgess would be in the mix bit I suppose they have to make room for the token Union plodder!

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I honestly though Sam Burgess would be in the mix bit I suppose they have to make room for the token Union plodder!

I wouldn't call Halfpenny a plodder, but I get where you're coming from. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Halfpenny was a key player in the Welsh 6 Nations winning side and the Lions side who won the series down in Australia. I appreciate this will mean little to most RL fans but for many this is considered a pretty successful sporting season and quite an achievement.

28m391z.jpg

#8 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

never heard of halfpenny, mo isn't british , murray will win it give a mumbling dour speech then slide down the rankings like snot down an infants philtrum

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

never heard of halfpenny, mo isn't british , murray will win it give a mumbling dour speech then slide down the rankings like snot down an infants philtrum

Yes, as we have established.  Life is awful and then you die.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think Tony McCoy with be in the top 2 as i expect the racing media to get behind it: 2 racing TV channels, weekly on CH4, bookies that are on every ad break will no doubt try to attach their name to a 'vote AP' campaign so will plaster that everywhere.

That said i think the miserable jock will get it. All hes done is win a tournament that has not been not won by a Brit for.....Ok he deserves to be up there.

Murry long odds on:

http://www.oddscheck...the-year/winner

#11 paulalmanack

paulalmanack
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

They might have well just given the Award to Murray when he lifted the Wimbledon crown.. Would have saved time,energy,effort and all the pretense that its not a one horse race.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

If Gareth Bale had been nominated, he'd have walked it. he is the most expensive footballer in the world.

Ronnie O'Sullivan would have done pretty well ... winning the World Championship after sitting out most of the season in a stand off with Barry Hearn.

Carl Froch is an outstanding battler and a world champion.

Froome should win it; Murray or Farah will.

The BBC is, as usual, being politically correct.

Needless to say, I won't be watching or give two hoots about the result.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

If you were drawing up a shortlist, titles, trophies and world records count heavily. Sam is an awesome talent, but short of silverware.

I'd have put Marc Marquez in there, but the BBC rarely acknowledged the existence of MotoGP when they had the rights, so they're definitely not giving the trophy to a sport that's just decamped to BT.

#14 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'd have put Marc Marquez in there, but the BBC rarely acknowledged the existence of MotoGP when they had the rights, so they're definitely not giving the trophy to a sport that's just decamped to BT.

He's not British.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

I think you;ll find that Mo IS British.

I think Andy Murray will win.  

Here's the panel that decides the shortlist

• Director of BBC Sport - Barbara Slater(Chair)
  • BBC head of TV Sport - Philip Bernie
  • Executive editor of BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Carl Doran
  • From BBC Radio 5 live - Eleanor Oldroyd(presenter, 5 live Sport)
  • Three newspaper sports editors (to be rotated annually) - in 2012, Mike Dunn (sports editor, the Sun), Lee Clayton (head of sport, Daily Mail), Matthew Hancock (sports editor, the Observer)
  • A pan sports broadcaster/journalist - Sue Mott
  • Three former SPOTY nominees (to be appointed annually) - in 2012, Sir Steve Redgrave, Baroness Grey-Thompson andDenise Lewis
  • Baroness Campbell, chair of UK Sport

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

He's not British.

Sorry, thinking of the World Sportsperson award.

Which will be won by Sebastian Vettel.

#17 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wigan Team of the year anyone....!!??

Oh..........

#18 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Wigan Team of the year anyone....!!??

Oh..........

Only if the team award was opened up to a public vote. If it was, however, we would probably read articles complaining of "sinister voting patterns emanating from the North of England".

#19 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

I'd love to hear "...and the Helen Rolleston award goes to.....STEVE PRESCOTT!"

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Only if the team award was opened up to a public vote. If it was, however, we would probably read articles complaining of "sinister voting patterns emanating from the North of England".

To be fair, it probably would go to the RU Lions even on a public vote.  As it's journos voting for what they 'know' though it's definitely going to be the Lions.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users