TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sports Personality of the Year 2013

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

I had hoped for Steve Prescott to win but the award to Ann Williams was very special and totally deserved.

It was sad to see Steve Prescott among the deceased, but as he was last on the video, they lingered on Rugby League personnel after the slide show, with Brian Noble being the focus

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#42 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

From what I know Ann Williams had been chosen before Steve Prescott sadly died. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#43 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

How did the trophy, returned last night by Wiggins, manage to get to the USA so quickly. I'm very impressed! Or is there more than one? If so was there another ready to be presented to Farah? They seemed very confident of Murray's win too, with a satelite video link and a Navratilova in place. Was Haile Gebrselassie in place to present to Farah if needed? Ian Botham ready to hand it over to Ian Bell in Perth had he just knocked an unbeaten double century that swayed the vote?

LUNEW.jpg

#44 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

How did the trophy, returned last night by Wiggins, manage to get to the USA so quickly. I'm very impressed! Or is there more than one? If so was there another ready to be presented to Farah? They seemed very confident of Murray's win too, with a satelite video link and a Navratilova in place. Was Haile Gebrselassie in place to present to Farah if needed? Ian Botham ready to hand it over to Ian Bell in Perth had he just knocked an unbeaten double century that swayed the vote?

It does show that the BBC are not conspiring so much as being out of touch.  Most of the people involved with this at the BBC will have played plenty of tennis, as will most of their social group. In their world, tennis is a huge mainstream sport and a Brit winning Wimbledon is enormous.

Equally, they might know of someone who is a rugby league fan, which is a little quirky.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#45 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I wondered about that. There must be at least two.
I think it's pretty standard practise to have more than 1 copies of major trophies.
There are 3 Challenge cups, the original never leaves Red Hall as it's pretty worn out. I think the holders have one copy and there is another one that does the rounds.
I have looked after it and moved it around in my car, it is transported in in two bespoke packing cases.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#46 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

No problem with Murray winning; first mens Wimbledon title in 77 years is a very big thing indeed.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#47 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Really? GB & I RU, Team of the year, just because they won a test in Australia? and Wales Union's Halfpenny 2nd in the overall SPOTY?

The RU Lions actually won a test series in Australia rather than just a one off test.

Halfpenny was a key player in the victorious Lions team and the Welsh side who won the 6 Nations. Not a bad season but agree there were greater achievements from other sportsmen.

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

The RU Lions actually won a test series in Australia rather than just a one off test.

Halfpenny was a key player in the victorious Lions team and the Welsh side who won the 6 Nations. Not a bad season but agree there were greater achievements from other sportsmen.

At least Halfpenny got to #2 in the awards on a public vote.

As for the team of the year and manager of the year awards, I'm not sure that Gatland-style Rugby is something we should celebrate or encourage.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

They did show Murray in the US just before the Awards were announced and in a way gave the show away, but there again it ended up overwhelming in his favour.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 16 December 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#50 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Sorry, thinking of the World Sportsperson award.

Which will be won by Sebastian Vettel.

Ahem.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#51 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

At least Halfpenny got to #2 in the awards on a public vote.

As for the team of the year and manager of the year awards, I'm not sure that Gatland-style Rugby is something we should celebrate or encourage.

Halfpenny coming 2nd was a nice bit of spin from the BBC. Murray got over 50% of the vote so there was probably nothing between the runners up.

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Halfpenny coming 2nd was a nice bit of spin from the BBC. Murray got over 50% of the vote so there was probably nothing between the runners up.

Spin or not, he beat McCoy and Farah, which surprised me.

#53 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think the Welsh were doing a lot of voting for their boy.

#54 ligella nawson

ligella nawson
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

never heard of halfpenny, mo isn't british , murray will win it give a mumbling dour speech then slide down the rankings like snot down an infants philtrum

j agree mo isnt british but neither is tony mccoy

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

j agree mo isnt british but neither is tony mccoy

Born in County Antrim according to wiki.  I guess it's up to him whether that makes him British or not.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#56 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Sinister voting patterns? © Ian Woosnam

#57 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

How on earth can Mo Farah - British citizen, representative of British athletics, Commander of the Order of the British Empire - not be British?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#58 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Sinister voting patterns?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#59 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Sinister voting patterns? © Ian Woosnam

######.  I am far too slow.

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

How on earth can Mo Farah - British citizen, representative of British athletics, Commander of the Order of the British Empire - not be British?

Because darkie Muslim-named immigrant training in Oregon.

Edited by gingerjon, 16 December 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users