Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-Season training

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

TF10 does have some valid points even if he is rubbing a few folk up IMO.
On the back of the RLWC I expected a bit more news from the club to try and keep interest going. Soon after we had the replica shirts info which was spot on and since then it's all been a bit quiet.
I know dealings with players can take time and I know the club will be doing all it can to get the best ones available for the budget but it has all gone a bit flat.
Fingers crossed this week it will all change.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#62 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think without saying the BOD have got irons in the fire, better be patient and get the one,s we need,looking at most clubs forums there are not many have a full squad in place at this time .

#63 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thacks isn't coming back I've stated this time and time again!! Carter on the other hand will hopefully be the start of something getting put pen to paper

No disrespect meant to you havenhater, but isn't this exactly what others are saying?    That information should be coming from the club not from you or anyone else by way of rumours.   The question has been asked many times about Thacks and until it's said "officially" then we have to think that he is still a Town player.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#64 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well he won't be as contracts end on the 30th November so technically he'll be a free agent.

#65 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Fair point but we just need to come to the acceptance he isn't coming back, I wouldn't mind his old head up top but I just hope he is replaced with a jake emmit type which is talked about along with the obvious superstars we have lined up!!

#66 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Who are these superstars we have lined up

#67 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Superstars .... As long as it isn't Brian Jacks and Keith Fielding . Ah , memories of youth ...

#68 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

Staying in this league looks like it will be tough this year - I don't really mind who we sign if its giving locals a go then so be it - but please just get a squad that will be able to fulfill fixtures with a full 17 - not injured players on the bench who won't appear - for the past 3 years we have ran out of numbers - will we learn ?

#69 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Fair point

#70 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Staying in this league - that is in the second tier - most probably means a top 9 finish . That is what should be at the forefront of minds , certainly in recruitment to start with . Cutthroat league .

#71 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

In reality we are talking about four places not 9 as the top 5 will once again be there again so that leaves 4 from 9 that we are playing for.  Quite a challenge so we have to get it right.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#72 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Exactly right but year on year we have the same comments around this time of year and for the last few seasons the board have come up trumps and given us a team to shout about. Last season in a new division we finished below the top 5 who we all knew would be at the start of the season, Doncaster who wine £70k or whatever it was jn prize money and another established championship side in Dewsbury so I think we did very well.

#73 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

We did very well , but this is another year , will be even tougher , with higher stakes and even more competitive.
Crusaders are a real bolter , and I think we're gonna have to go up another level to hold our position . The sooner our squad is integrated the better , as hitting the ground running could be key . Gonna be great viewing again and hopefully the support is there to

#74 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

This time last year we had coyle / dowes / acton all signed up aswell as thacks maybe even walne , calderwood too I think we had to improve last years team a fair bit - especially in the backs - however we have now lost carter ? Calders ... Briscoe Flynn - and half the pack so were effectively starting again, I agree we need quality but we also need 23-24 players to compete for the full season, at the moment I can't see where the signings are coming from, most teams will have their combinations secured - only looking at add utility to their squad or a position which they find they lack in pre season....

#75 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

I fully agree but we haven't been let down for a number of years so I'm happy to put my trust in the BOD

#76 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Kayle Connor's back according to the RL Express this morning.   Hopefully we find that missing spark with Kayle this season.

#77 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

And they still see him as a centre . Well if so he needs to have more sharpness and involvement there , and he and our other outside backs need faster , better service . I still think he looks a midfield player but either way he needs to step up a level because it's totally wrong to say he played very well , because he didn't , he was just ok with potential for better .

#78 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

So the Gloucester story wasn't real, happy with that

#79 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

where i would like to see a big improvement is a bit more crispness in our passing,and our kicking to touch of penalty kicks we should be getting a lot more yardage than we are of them???

#80 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

It baffles me how we don't make many yards from our kicks to touch. On a short narrow pitch like dp there should be no excuses. Why doesn't kayle Who can certainly kick a ball take them. Our decision on these type of options is often very questionable.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white