Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-Season training

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#81 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Got to agree there . It's an old adage that it's easier to make ground with the boot than with muscle , but to often we are in a position after five drives where we should be after the kick ! It's amazing how often we belt the ball sideways into touch or even backwards . And we see kickers down here from other teams raking it to the 20 metre line ! It's a basic that needs attention - make penalty kicks to touch a real weapon to start a set . And if Connor thunder boot plays he has to do all the kicking , another reason to see him central . But even if he plays on the fringe he can be positioned to kick on last play . In fact our kicking as a whole in general play needs work - tries from kicks are THE central feature of the game now , hours must go into practice . We need more consistent long kicks on final tackle , and better last tackle kicks . To often ours fizzle out to nothing . Connor needs to use his bomb lots , and we need better grubbers. All this is practice - and why we don't kick long more or across for our wingers to chase is beyond me .We 're not the most inventive attacking side with ball in hand , so use of the kick on attack is doubly important . Look at Paul Cooke ... Say no more .

Edited by DavidM, 02 December 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#82 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Very pleased to hear Kyle is returning we are desperate for a few decent backs who can play in a variety of positions. I think we all saw the potential in the lad last season, I 'm hoping he can fulfill it this season, he can shift when in space and has a good boot on him, we need to find his best position and give him a few games there.

It looks like we have lost 3 good props from last season, we need to replace them quickly, it will be very difficult finding the same quality as those guys, I was hoping the Walne brothers might be on the shopping list. I agree with a few on here regarding news coming out of the club, season tickets will be going on sale shortly and a bit of good news might sway a few to request one in their xmas stocking. 

#83 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ye good news kayle is back i am hoping to see good things of him and shackley this season, plus we have signed some good lads from the amatuer ranks that will do us proud mark my words.

#84 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Staying in this league looks like it will be tough this year - I don't really mind who we sign if its giving locals a go then so be it - but please just get a squad that will be able to fulfill fixtures with a full 17 - not injured players on the bench who won't appear - for the past 3 years we have ran out of numbers - will we learn ?

this haven fans on a mission!!

#85 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

this haven fans on a mission!!

But what he says is correct. We can't afford another season like the last 2 where we have been scratching around for players in the last few games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#86 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

So a team we have there or there abouts can it compete? A 13 minus new lads don't look too bad apart from Haney on the wing

Carter

Miller
Haney

Mossop
Connor

Callum
Lupton

Mcavoy
Matty
Coward

Stack
Shackley

Olstrum

#87 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

Why not Phillips starting

I believe the team can compete but I'm also sure we will have more players in by the season

Carter
Miller
Connor/Rooney
mossop
Haney
Lupton
Callum
Mcavoy
Matty
Coward
Stack
Phillips
Olstrom

Shackley
Duerden
Rowlandson
Morris

Forber

19 signed now with more to come I'm sure

Edited by scott, 03 December 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#88 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

So a team we have there or there abouts can it compete? A 13 minus new lads don't look too bad apart from Haney on the wing

Carter

Miller
Haney

Mossop
Connor

Callum
Lupton

Mcavoy
Matty
Coward

Stack
Shackley

Olstrum

surely brett phillips makes any starting 13
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#89 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

But what he says is correct. We can't afford another season like the last 2 where we have been scratching around for players in the last few games.

yes keith buts more of a gloating and the sly digs get slipped in too. As for the squad I am sure they will have something planned. They aren't stupid as to what we still require for next season.

#90 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Sugar b Phillips in any 13 sorry!! Just like to show that shackley I hope and expect big things from this year

#91 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Sugar b Phillips in any 13 sorry!! Just like to show that shackley I hope and expect big things from this year

I think Shacks will be added to the props this season not second row.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#92 Townfan10

Townfan10
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'm sorry and this is being brutally honest here... That team is no where near good enough ....

Briscoe
Carter
Mossop
Red
Flynn
Lupton
Phillips
Dowes
Matty
Coward
Phillips
Stack
Olstrom

Thacks
Acton
Walne
Connor

Wasn't good enough in many games last year - and that's streets ahead of the team you have posted....

#93 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

So Carter is a better winger than Miller? Dowes better than McAvoy on last seasons form? Briscoe was only for enough to play a handful and I would say a fully committed carter isn't far behind and is certainly quicker. Other than that it's the bench so with 2 or 3 quality additions we'll have a stronger team IMO.

#94 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Havenfan10 is just stirring it. We have 2 month to get our squad together so why don't you just pipe down

#95 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

So a team months into the season with dr players and loan players in is better than the one a few months before the season has even started with no dr or loan players? Well im blown away, blown away I tells ya...

#96 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

We have lost Acton and dowes and they are big shoes to fill the club will be looking carefully for the right players to fill those it takes time

#97 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

I wouldn't have said Dowes was. Picked up towards the end of the season but was poor early on

#98 sc74

sc74
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

I tend to agree with some of Townfan 10 views, we always seem late on the signings front, theirs never any news coming from the club even little bits of crack ,what's going on with Carter, Thacks?  we should be building  on from the fantastic world cup experience  we have just had, and why haven't we got a market stall in the town in the run up to Christmas, this weekend should have been the start of it, lights switched on and plenty going on, would of done Towns profile a world of good especially after the WC. No doubt we will get to know!

From the town website :

Story in brief:
Grab your pre Christmas merchandise in town

Now that we have received definite delivery dates on our new merchandise range, we can confirm that we will again have a stall on the market in the run up to Christmas.

We will be in the town centre on the weekends of 14th & 15th and 21st & 22nd December to allow people to purchase their merchandise in time for Christmas.

The replica shirts are expected to be in later this week, with the hoodies, jackets, polo's beaines and umbrellas due early next week. As soon as the items arrive we'll upload the pictures to the website to allow you to view before you buy.

#99 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

We're not playing anyone now so it's pointless speculating on teams now . We'll get more signings and we can judge our strength when the season commences . Yes ideally we want to gel as I said , but ultimately I accept it's about having what we need when we need them I guess . And the BOD know what's what . More than one person has told me that young Mcavoy is a real 'un , so I'm looking forward to seeing him , and I've heard good things about the other two amateur lads . Big Red and Connor need big preseasons and need much more consistent seasons with much more quality of involvement . Widnes and Salford links seem a bit up in the air , so that's a big unknown factor at present .

Edited by DavidM, 03 December 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#100 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Can't wait to see what the new hoodies look like

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users