Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Matchday programmes - time for a change?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

Every year the club goes through the agonies of producing the match-day programme coupled with trying to devise strategies to persuade fans to buy them. At best this results in a break-even and at worst a loss, and I'm sure that those tasked with this issue wrack their brains in an attempt to improve matters.

I was therefore intrigued to read in a soccer magazine that Queen's Park FC have this season discontinued the production of their paper programme and shifted entirely to an e-programme which is available free of charge on their web site. I reckon this could be a great idea for many Championship clubs like ours who struggle with this dilemma every year. I am aware that, currently, clubs are obliged to produce a match-day programme by the RFL but I think that an enlightened suggestion to allow some clubs to switch to such a programme would be a good idea.

Personally I can see no real downsides to such a change but would be interested to know what others think.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

What about the club doing a phone app for free featuring all the latest news which also makes them money, like advertised on premier sports throughout the World Cup. The club get paid to do the app so it wouldn't be no loss and would make us money. Easy money Infact! It's simple things like this which the club don't do, that baffles me. Atleest the clubs finaly sorted twitter and Facebook out though atlast

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 29 November 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#3 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

What about the club doing a phone app for free featuring all the latest news which also makes them money, like advertised on premier sports throughout the World Cup. The club get paid to do the app so it wouldn't be no loss and would make us money. Easy money Infact! It's simple things like this which the club don't do, that baffles me. Atleest the clubs finaly sorted twitter and Facebook out though atlast

Hi, the app in question requires an upfront fee of £199, it then costs around £99 to put the app into the App store, a similar cost for Android and Windows and before you know it, an app which would require expertise which is not available at the club would have a start up cost of around £1k.

In return the club would make next to nothing from the app as it is all pay per click ads at around 0.02 pence per click, less commission.

I know often fans may see something and wonder why the club isn't capitalising on an apparent opportunity but things aren't always as clear cut as they may seem I'm afraid.

But please do keep suggestions coming, they are always welcome - BSJ, your suggestion will be discussed at the club.

Thanks

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 29 November 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#4 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

In response to the suggestion by BSJ and regarding the current situation with our match day programmes:

This year’s programmes will be designed and printed by All Design and Print from York who successfully won the contract for 2014 from the Rams and we are looking forward to working with the company over the next few months.

The club are obliged by the RFL to produce a match day magazine for each home week.

Each edition requires a tremendous amount of input and time and we urge all our supporters to help the club by buying a copy each game. We did make a small profit on actual sales during 2013 and hopefully we can continue this upward trend next year.

As far as producing an e-programme is concerned it would still take up a great deal of time and effort and while there aren’t printing costs to take into account there are still design costs and manpower costs to cover and there would have to be a subscription fee even if this were to go ahead.

One club in isolation can’t do it and it would need a change of policy before it could come into force.

I hope this addresses your queries.

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 29 November 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

In response to the suggestion by BSJ and regarding the current situation with our match day programmes:

This year’s programmes will be designed and printed by All Design and Print from York who successfully won the contract for 2014 from the Rams and we are looking forward to working with the company over the next few months.

The club are obliged by the RFL to produce a match day magazine for each home week.

Each edition requires a tremendous amount of input and time and we urge all our supporters to help the club by buying a copy each game. We did make a small profit on actual sales during 2013 and hopefully we can continue this upward trend next year.

As far as producing an e-programme is concerned it would still take up a great deal of time and effort and while there aren’t printing costs to take into account there are still design costs and manpower costs to cover and there would have to be a subscription fee even if this were to go ahead.

One club in isolation can’t do it and it would need a change of policy before it could come into force.

I hope this addresses your queries.

Thanks for this considered response, it is really appreciated.

Keep up the great work.

:drinks:

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users