fixtures out Monday

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Fixtures out Monday n the general opinion is that its a 20 game season with playing some teams three times, im guessing if thats the case we will face hunslet york and Gateshead three times? Thoughts?

#2 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

If that's right 10 home games is not good enough, how can you keep a club going on this basis you need a minimum of 15 home games.

Also there has been no mention of an under 20's or reserve team this reason?

The RFL strike again.

#3 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Quite righty Higgy. RFL is an organisation not fit for purpose. Predictable income streams are vital for survival but everything changes year on year. How long can this go on?

#4 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ten matches home/away then top 5 play off to g/final winner only to be promoted that's novel for Oldham.All I can say is good luck with that one.

#5 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

oh christ.....i can see another disappointment on the horizon!

#6 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Ten matches home/away then top 5 play off to g/final winner only to be promoted that's novel for Oldham.All I can say is good luck with that one.

so it's not automatic promotion for top spot?

#7 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Nope, straight playoff with only the GF winner promoted. Guess its to fit in with the new divisional structure for 2015. Going to be a roller coaster again but we can do it, its going to come down to one game for everyone in the top five, no pressure then lol ;)

#8 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

So basically we are saying just get into top 5 then win the play offs.  Makes most of the season pointless really.

#9 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

I can see it now, we win every game, finish top by a massive margin, get to the final and ...........

#10 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

Playoffs make much more sense in situations like this.  With teams playing different a different number of games against the stronger/weaker teams the playoffs even things up. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#11 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

The format is not acceptable. The Art of Hand and Foot is right; a team could win the league easily and then lose the play-off final. Ludicrous!!

I said the RFL was not fit for purpose and this proves it.

With no Northern Rail Cup why not play everyone twice (32 fixtures) or can modern players not manage that? Check how many they played in the '50's! Plus that's 16 home games which is better for revenue.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.

#12 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Quite right Geoff, once again the club cannot build up a decent revenue stream with these fixtures, we need to be playing home and away on alternate weeks as well.

There are to many breaks in play also again, which is ludicrous

#13 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

The format is not acceptable. The Art of Hand and Foot is right; a team could win the league easily and then lose the play-off final. Ludicrous!!

I said the RFL was not fit for purpose and this proves it.

With no Northern Rail Cup why not play everyone twice (32 fixtures) or can modern players not manage that? Check how many they played in the '50's! Plus that's 16 home games which is better for revenue.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.

Geoff you are 100% correct. In my playing days in the 60s and 70s we played around 40 league games plus Lancashire Cup and Challenge Cup so I can't understand why we cannot play each team in our division home and away twice then it would be much fairer to the team that finishes top. We only have to look at last season for a similar travesty of justice. Nine points clear of everyone else and lose in a one off game to keep us in this dire division. But then the people who make these decisions either have an ulterior motive or they are simply not clever enough to work out that teams in the lower divisions need more games with which to generate more income. It's really quite simple if you think about it.

#14 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Geoff is absolutely right.  Higgy also points to the breaks between games.  There is a five week gap between the first two home fixtures then 3 weeks to the one after that.  This lack of a consistent fortnightly fixture over more than the 20 matches on offer is what has helped lead to people getting out of the habit of going to matches.  You only need to be away or ill for one fixture and its two months nearly.

#15 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

This reminds me about the PARTY being organised in e BREWERY or lack of.By the way the players in the 50s/60s did a shift at work every week

#16 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

And they also played the full 80 mins.  No substitutes/interchanges.

#17 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Steve, you have hit the nail right on the head with the breaks in play especially with the summer people find other things to do with their time.

I thought I was going scatty last night when I read the Chron and CH said he thought the fixtures were good? he must see something we don't.

#18 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Geoff I wholeheartedly agree with you, There seems to be a mindset at the RFL that doesnt seem to "THINK THINGS THROUGH". playing everyone twice winner takes all but top 5 graded prize money is by far fairer and, dare I breathe it, sensible! Instead this could be an omnishambles of unfairness especially with dual reg thrown in as a makeweight!

#19 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Just what is good about this fixture format.

Like you said in the 50s and 60s they played a lot more matches without any substitutes.

The people who run the game today have no idea.

They should look back in History to find the good points as there is none in the present game.

#20 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Time to get some new tyres on the bike, got a loooooooooong journey ahead!! But it will be fun!!!!!! as it always is.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users