Where are we for 2014?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

There have been a few things discussed about movement within the leagues from Conference League South downwards.  Anybody have any news about who's going where and what the structure might look like for this coming season?

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#2 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

The Superleague and Championship fixtures are out now, championship 1 is supposed to be announced 2nd or 3rd December I believe.  I would expect the NCL to be announced after that and then the premiership/regional leagues.  I have been told that all the fixtures from NCL down should be out before Christmas, so lets hope that's right.

All I have heard on the rumour front re London Premiership is that St Albans and two more clubs have asked to join, but don't know which two, and awaiting news to see if SW London Chargers are splitting back to South and West London or staying together.

#3 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have been told that all the fixtures from NCL down should be out before Christmas

Unlikely. Last year Tier 4 fixtures were around Feb / March.

#4 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Unlikely. Last year Tier 4 fixtures were around Feb / March.

In 2014 the London Prem started end of March, and I think they had the London Cup before that, (and don't they send the fixtures out to each club so they can confirm/rearrange some of the games if necessary?) so would hope they don't leave it to only a few weeks before the season starts - surely the clubs deserve as much notice as possible.

#5 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

The matchdays were reserved in advance but the first round of the London Cup was drawn at the London Nines on April 20th.

#6 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

In 2014 the London Prem started end of March, and I think they had the London Cup before that, (and don't they send the fixtures out to each club so they can confirm/rearrange some of the games if necessary?) so would hope they don't leave it to only a few weeks before the season starts - surely the clubs deserve as much notice as possible.

It started with one fixture end of April and the rest May according to the London RL website.

#7 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

The matchdays were reserved in advance but the first round of the London Cup was drawn at the London Nines on April 20th.

It started with one fixture end of April and the rest May according to the London RL website.

Sorry, I thought some of the London Cup games and 9's were played before the leagues first round at the end of April.  Lets hope that the fixtures are a bit earlier this season so we can see which teams are playing where. 

#8 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Without consulting my records, London Cup dates last year were 2nd weekend of May, 1st weekend of June, last weekend of June and 3rd week of July.  As I said, the first round draw was at the London Nines, there was banter galore as you can imagine.

#9 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

and awaiting news to see if SW London Chargers are splitting back to South and West London or staying together.

South London Storm are returning next season after a year out of the game, and look likely to be back at a re-vamped Streatham-Croydon RFC. This has nothing to do with anything that might happen at the Chargers. It's news to me that they are looking to split.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#10 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

Number 16, on 21 Jul 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:snapback.png

Speaking of next year... South London (Sto...?) will be back. We wanted it to happen this year, but this summer has seen the first stage of the £1m redevelopment of Streatham-Croydon RFC - our home of old, including new stand, showers, sheds, car park, perimeter fencing, floodlights and terracing. Next stage is a complete refurb of the clubhouse.  

Number 16, on 22 Jul 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:snapback.png

There'll be a South London re-launch meeting in September. So until then... watch this space.

I seem to be apologising a bit on this thread, so, sorry No16, I assumed from your posts above, on another thread, that as SW London Chargers were made up of lads from SLS and West London, that if SLS were re forming, it would mean  the 'old' SLS lads would 'return' to their old club from SW Chargers.   Didn't mean it to sound as if a 'split' was on the cards.

#11 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:40 AM

By the time they finished, there essentially was no West London so I'm not sure how they could "demerge".  What is around now is a small rump of players that played for the latter-day Storm and a bunch of new players that turned up when they moved to Clapham.

#12 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

No worries Jasper, and no need to apologise! I guess that the situation is confusing.

SW London Chargers were a new club, not a merger of Storm and Sharks - as confirmed to us by one of the former Storm officials who was instrumental in setting up the Chargers. In fact, he stated that he was happy to have others continue the Storm club should they wish to do so - and we do!

It's debatable whether Storm ever formally 'closed' as the club was set up under a formal Constitution but wasn't dissolved under the constitution. Also, bank accounts etc still exist in South London Storm's name.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#13 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Chargers are going nowhere, everybody needs to get that out of their head. Nor should they after doing the treble, they've proven a massive success.

#14 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

No worries Jasper, and no need to apologise! I guess that the situation is confusing.

Just a bit ... ;)  On both the Storms and Sharks facebook pages is " South London Storm merged with West London Sharks to form South West London Chargers in 2013. "

Nice to know a strong club like SWLChargers are staying, and a new 'old' club like the Storm are returning, can only be good for London area RL.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#15 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

They want it to seem like it was a merger because to them, that's how it felt.  However, from a constitutional perspective, they formed a new committee and a new club.  As far as I know, West London officially folded and, according to Number 16 (and he should really know), South London essentially abandoned the company without closing it down.  I said before, I was very cynical about the Chargers.  However, I don't argue with success.

From what I've seen, it will be an interesting 2014 but lots of people need to stop sitting on their hands.  I've heard of (I think) four new teams looking to get ready for 2014 and they're not particularly far along the line with organisation.  We start our pre-season three months from today, our preparations started three months ago.

Edited by bbfaz, 04 December 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#16 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Seen some adverts on Gumtree from the Fulham Foxes. Anybody know anything about them?

#17 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Seen some adverts on Gumtree from the Fulham Foxes. Anybody know anything about them?

I had heard that a summer tag rugby team in SW London were thinking of joining the merit League in 2014 - could this be them?

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#18 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

No, I've heard that too, this is something else.

#19 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

Valley Cougars in as said a while back, also heard Chester

#20 brooza

brooza
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

No, I've heard that too, this is something else.

Fulham Foxes RLFC are seeking additional players

Currently piecing together a social squad to play a series of friendly matches in early new year 2014.

We are a new team, setting up in Fulham SW London.

Beginners welcome!

get in touch :)

Regards

Fulham Foxes RLFC

$_79.JPG$_79.JPG

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users