Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Where are we for 2014?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Just heard Eastern League is a six team Premiership, a first division and an entry league.  Can't confirm which teams are in which league.  Season launch (not sure if that's the first round of games or a 'get together' discussion day is 16th March.

Kings Lynn, St Ives, Bedford, Southend, North Herts and Milton Keynes are the teams in the top league. No idea about the rest. 16 March isn't the first game for us as our first is a potential 9s tournament on 3 May.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#42 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

16th March will be a meeting and tea and biscuits.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

You are Tony Hannan and I claim my chocolate digestive.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Enfield Enforcers' Twitter account has disappeared so I assume their quest for players, volunteers and sponsors hasn't been successful.

Any news on anybody else?  South London?  Eastbourne?

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#45 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Where is it?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#46 brooza

brooza
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Where is it?

St Ives, I believe

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#47 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

St Ives, I believe

B#####! Any timings? Might give big Reggie a ring and find out...

I must also get my sorry self up to St Albans to help with the coaching!

Edited by GeordieSaint, 24 January 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#48 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,012 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Conference League South lineup confirmed:

http://www.pitchero....14-1145462.html

#49 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Conference League South lineup confirmed:

http://www.pitchero....14-1145462.html

I've not been paying attention. What tier is this now?

- Severus, July 2012

#50 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Tier 5 South Region 1 Sector 5G Cadre 8X

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Tier 5 South Region 1 Sector 5G Cadre 8X

Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

- Severus, July 2012

#52 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Have we always been at war with Eurasia?

We are at war with Eastasia, who's side are you on? 

#53 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

Tier 3 this coming season but reclassified as tier 4 for 2015 (Championship 1 is to become its own tier)

Incidentallt the entry league (i.e. merit leagues) will become their own tier 6

#54 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

I had heard that a summer tag rugby team in SW London were thinking of joining the merit League in 2014 - could this be them?

Sorry to drag this one up but I met one of the members of their committee and this is definitely a go.  They'll be called Wests Warriors and playing at Wasps training ground.

EDIT: London Division 1 fixtures have been released.  Five teams, eight league games, top eight playoff.

Elmbridge Eagles

Esher Exiles (renamed Thames Ditton Tigers who play at Esher RFC)

Beckenham Bears

Newham Dockers

South West London Chargers A

Edited by bbfaz, 15 February 2014 - 02:19 PM.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Tier 3 this coming season but reclassified as tier 4 for 2015 (Championship 1 is to become its own tier)

Incidentallt the entry league (i.e. merit leagues) will become their own tier 6

Many thanks.

- Severus, July 2012

#56 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

5 teams plus another couple of divisions in a catchment area of what 6 million and thousands of pounds of development investment, we have to proberly wait for the RU season to finish so we can get teams to fulfill the 8 fixtures and make sure the fixtures are finished before September so we have teams to finish the fixtures. Lets get a few playing touch rugby (the RU may claim these for their figures as well) we are becoming a part time sport.
The RFL call this expansion, am I being cynical??

#57 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,012 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

5 teams plus another couple of divisions in a catchment area of what 6 million and thousands of pounds of development investment, we have to proberly wait for the RU season to finish so we can get teams to fulfill the 8 fixtures and make sure the fixtures are finished before September so we have teams to finish the fixtures. Lets get a few playing touch rugby (the RU may claim these for their figures as well) we are becoming a part time sport.
The RFL call this expansion, am I being cynical??

London really hasn't done well for sustainable clubs. The oldest amateur club at open age level is now Hammersmith Hillshoists (founded 2009) with the second oldest Newham Dockers (founded 2012). If rumours are to be believed HHH are struggling themselves. The only established name on the London RL map is London Skolars and their reserves. Fair point on the short season, I think we should at least be working towards getting one full season league in London and the South East

#58 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

London Premier is a 7 team comp running from April to August. Hemel A, Skolars A, St Albans, Eastern, Hammersmith, SW London, & Stains.

London Div 1 is a 5 team comp running May to August. Elmbridge, Beckenham, Esher, Newham, & SW London A.

London Entry has 3 teams in Fulham Fox's, Western Warriors, & Brentwood with the possibility of some of a the other clubs adding a development team to the comp.

Add to that 6 teams in the East Premier, + their own Entry League. Another 6 teams in the South East Premier + their own entry league.

So in London and East/South East you have 24 teams in fully fixtured comps. With at least another 10 in various Entry Leagues. That has to be the most in London RL history?

Most of the clubs might be new but they are run and have players that have been around London RL for a long time.

2014 -> first year to have an April to August comp

2014 -> first year to have a division 1 in London

2014 -> first year to have 30 teams playing rugby league in London & East/South East

Yeah rugby league is going backwards in London, let's all give up!!

#59 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,012 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Also seen Brentwood listed as in the East Entry League though, so not sure which it is?

www.bedfordrugby.com lists the 2 east divisions in their table section (Bovingdon Bulldogs are from HMP the Mount)

The thing is all it takes is RU to create a midseason break (extending the season) or to switch to summer and most clubs would fold over night. They need to have stronger clubs with an attached junior set up and at least some clubs playing a full season (preferably a division parallel to Conference League South based on the London Premier; but at the very least a couple of sides stepping up there) otherwise it's just a constant treadmill of clubs folding and new ones forming.

#60 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Conference League South is a joke when Sheffield play in that comp.

Most London Premier teams can match those teams and in my eyes that should be the basis for a tier 3 comp in the South.

80% of the Harry Jepson winners in the last 10 years have come from the London winners.

Why is there a need to have juniors? London junior rugby league is thriving with clubs all over london. The pathway exists for any of those kids North South East and West.

The season is becoming longer and more Rugby League player focused. Look at SW London training in January and playing in February. Plus other clubs organising friendlies for March. Neither of which have been done before

Let's be a bit more positive? Change takes time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users