TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Where are we for 2014?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

The original plan was to have a seven-team Premier Division starting in April.  Every club has been geared up for that and it's why some Premier teams started pre-season a month early and will start playing friendlies this weekend.  A lot of people have alluded to clubs being in trouble and the only one I was aware of was Hammersmith but I heard they'd turned a corner and were close to making it.

They have said publicly:

First their official site:

Hammersmith Hills Hoists Rugby League Football Club (HHHRLFC) is looking for a new major sponsor. With the Shepherds Bush Walkabout closing its doors for good there is a big hole that we need plugged. That is 20 + blokes drinking in your pub every saturday. No brainer.
If you think you can handle us please send an email to hillshoistsrlfc@hotmail.co.uk and we'll be in touch.

Notes from their 29/1/14 AGM on their Facebook page:

Sponsorship: Major sponsor Walkabout Inn Shepherds Bush has closed down. The club is actively looking for a new major sponsor. Names mentioned include The Slug@Fulham, The Chatsworth and the Larrick Inn. The club will also need smaller sponsors to fill recommit (Vibe, Anglo Pacific, First Festival)

Twyford Oval now has a new manager and we will need to build a new relationship with them.

Social Media: Facebook page, twitter and hotmail account all in need of owner.

Promotional material: Club needs to build player base again, options included business cards and flyer hand out days.

Discussion centered around the realisation that if we do not get a sponsor we will either have to fold or drop down to London League. We will push for sponsorship first then make a decision in the coming month.

They gave themselves a deadline of the end of February to get their ducks in a row and they obviously couldn't make it happen.  I was told they'll either have to play in the Entry League (where they'll be able to play D1 sides on bye weeks and play the two brand new Entry League sides on their doorstep) or fold.

From my understanding, the club themselves haven't been doing so well.  They barely played a seconds game last season but they were virtually the Walkies pub team and that papered over the cracks.  Walkabout were covering the costs and, I was told, players were not paying subs or membership.  As far as I'm aware, the council and police essentially forced the pub to be sold due to it being a crime hotspot, else they'd close it down,   Without that backing, they were self-admittedly left with a dwindling player base, a poor relationship with their home ground and poor off-field admin.

I've said before that there's two models in London; Firstly, go to the suburbs, try and pair up with a local RU club and build up slowly or secondly, go where the players are and get immediate success.  The problem with the latter is that the costs are very high, maybe even beyond memberships and subs.  You're also relying on a transient player base that are coming to this country in ever-decreasing numbers.  Less Antipodeans means less Antipodean-owned businesses and less potential sponsorships for these clubs.  I hope they make it through, rebuild this year in the Entry League and have a crack at Division 1 next season.  However, my worry is that this is not only the end of an era, it's also the end of a business plan.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#102 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Newham Dockers (founded 2012) are the oldest amateur rugby league club at open age level in London

What about London Skolars?

#103 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

What about London Skolars?

I was classing them as professional (I know the A team won't be bar fringe first teamers). Even they were close to collapse until the last few years (when they've recruited further afield)

#104 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Just had another look, looks ok to me, starting on 3rd May is correct I am told, there are fixtures for July and the first week in August, HHH have dropped out. Who stated it would start a month earlier?

Just been onto the London RL website again and it still shows only games for May and June. Maybe its my computer set up or something that stops me from
seeing the full list.
It was the London RFL that stated it would start in first week of April, I had seen their fixture list for 2014 that had been sent round to clubs for
their comments, and it looked pretty good too, starting in first week of April and with a mix of league and cup games finishing with GF in middle of
August, almost a five month season give or take. Now we have lost a month off the season. Until we get a reasonable
sized league we won't be able to compete with union in offering players a reasonable length season. Would/should it ever be consider to join London andEastern Premiership leagues together next season as that would give a 12 team, 22 matchPremiership?

HHH dropping out takes 4 weeks off the season (2 games plus 2 byes). Newham Dockers (founded 2012) are the oldest amateur rugby league club at open age level in London

Would it have made sense to keep the season start at April with the already circulated fixtures and just show the teams that were playing HHH as a by
that week. Granted that would have been only 4 games a week and two teams with byes, but it would keep an April to August season.

#105 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just been onto the London RL website again and it still shows only games for May and June. Maybe its my computer set up or something that stops me from
seeing the full list.

when you are on the fixtures page click on Londons Men League for competition then season 2014 then for division Premier League

#106 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

when you are on the fixtures page click on Londons Men League for competition then season 2014 then for division Premier League

Thank you, now found them. (This interweb is far too complicated with all these buttons and things.)

#107 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Would/should it ever be consider to join London and Eastern Premiership leagues together next season as that would give a 12 team, 22 matchPremiership?

That wouldn't be the result. The majority of the clubs would fold due to not being able to play RU players and the London Premier is a much higher standard than the Eastern premiership. What should be considered is London Premier mirroring the Conference League South with clubs playing each other thrice (15 games, have a magic round to give everyone 7 games), maybe have the champion play the winners of CLS rather than HJ Trophy

#108 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

East has gone for 3 divisions:

premier

Bedford Tigers

North Hertfordshire Crusaders

St Ives Roosters

Milton Keynes Wolves

Kings Lynn Black Knights

Southend Spartans

division 1

Bedford Tigers A

Bovingdon Bulldogs

Cambridge Lions

Brentwood Eels

Entry League

Bedford Tigers B

St Ives Roosters A

North Hertfordshire Crusaders A

#109 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

The Premier teams will play at least 12 games with the cup and then shield if you get knocked out of the cup.

#110 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Scotland:

National League

Aberdeen Warriors 1

Edinburgh Eagles

Glasgow Panthers 1

Ayrshire Storm

National League 1

Aberdeen Warriors 2

Glasgow Panthers 2

Fife Lions

Moray Titans

Glasgow Panthers were formed by a merger of Easterhouse Panthers and Victoria Knights

Edited by bowes, 05 March 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#111 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

After last year's debacle, would there be an appetite for a London Shield. Hemel usually duck out of the cup, that leaves nine teams plus two potential new ones. Not sure whether it's worth it.

#112 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

With the London Entry league looking like being South West London Chargers B, Wests Warriors, Fulham Foxes and possibly a remnant HHH would it be such a bad idea to make it into a west London ANZAC social league to keep the clubs that are good on the field but weak off it together? Those wanting a serious league could also play for SWL Chargers

#113 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Problem is, there's no entry league deadline.  Who's to say other teams won't come out of the woodwork?

#114 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

That wouldn't be the result. The majority of the clubs would fold due to not being able to play RU players and the London Premier is a much higher standard than the Eastern premiership. What should be considered is London Premier mirroring the Conference League South with clubs playing each other thrice (15 games, have a magic round to give everyone 7 games), maybe have the champion play the winners of CLS rather than HJ Trophy

For now, I see that as the only way to extend the season by a month or so.

Going forward, the only other way to generate a season of similar length in the current system is to bastardise the Super League 2015 split season.  Two divisions of six, which generates ten games, and three groups of four that generates six games.  Problem is, right now, we don't have enough clubs and not enough stability.

#115 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sunderland have been taken down from the north east website (there's not yet a table or fixtures). The sad thing about that is they're the game's oldest non-heartland side still in existence

#116 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

They only played a handful of games last season due to starting the season late and finishing early due to their players playing union.

#117 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Sunderland have been taken down from the north east website (there's not yet a table or fixtures). The sad thing about that is they're the game's oldest non-heartland side still in existence

When did they form?

#118 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

When did they form?

1979 IIRC.

There were London based clubs in those days and I think Chesterfield but they no longer exist

#119 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

South Wales League:

Newport Titans

Torfaen Tigers

Cardiff Demons

Valley Cougars A

Bridgend Blue Bulls

Aber Valley Wolves