Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I knew it would happen

I had to wake up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

It's been a dream. A long, deep, pleasant, wonderful dream. It started weeks ago - or to be fair it started on Christmas Day 2012. Santa dropped a gift to me. Two tickets to the World Cup opening ceremony in Cardiff. With accommodation thrown in. And in this dream I thought - "it wont work", "it'll be rubbish"", "the media will laugh at us", "the fans wont show", "Bristol? Bristol? Seriously?". And then I returned to my dream. And then it was October and we were on the train to Cardiff. And we bumped into Stevo & Nobby. And we had a laugh. And the opening ceremony wasn't rubbish. People came. The dancing was great. And we met some great people. And for 20 minutes we had Australia on the rack. But it wasn't to be. So we stayed back and did a Mexican wave. And watched Italy beat Wales. Then it was the long journey home. And we rushed to watch New Zealand v Samoa as Warrington rocked. And then we discovered the delights of Premier Sports and Andrew Voss. Then it was Monday and for a brief moment the dream relented as work took over. Then it was 8pm and Ireland faced Fiji in Rochdale. And the ground was full. And the people were happy. And we thought, "It might be good". Then Scotland went toe to toe. Then USA took out the Cooks. In Bristol. In front of a packed crowd. And we all thought that we were dreaming. And it got better. Huddersfield sold out. Workington sold out again. Leigh sold out. Matches were full of drama. People who had never been to a game wanted to go. And we thought "this is good". And then we had some bell-ringers of matches. And grounds packed out. And we came together. And we went to Wembley. And they needed more tickets. And for 79:38 we thought it was ours for the taking. But it wasn't. We came up so tantalisingly close it hurt. It hurt down to the core of our soul. And we cried. We cried "why. why isn't it us". But we went back into ourselves. We regrouped. And we went to the Theatre of Dreams. And we were treated to a masterclass in how to play a final. And we experienced a record crowd - at the end of a record tournament. And we look back on it all and celebrate the fact that we were there. And four five brief, magical weeks we all agreed on what we all knew already.  This is the greatest game. We are the greatest fans. 

And tomorrow, I'm going to wake from this dream.

And I don't want to.

It's been too good. 

I don't want this to end. 

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#2 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Quick RLIF - pull together a RLWC 2013 DVD and send it to Gerri Monside - emergency shipment ...

... oh and can you order 74,467 others for the rest of us ... and then some!

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

Quick RLIF - pull together a RLWC 2013 DVD and send it to Gerri Monside - emergency shipment ...

... oh and can you order 74,467 others for the rest of us ... and then some!

Good call

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Tldr

#5 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

It was a dream, the ground was empty at Munster,the final was a blow out and was only enjoyed by the new fans who had never been to a rugby league game before, and didn't realise that all they were seeing was poor defence, and a kiwi team that didn't turn up.

Only a comparatively few thousand turned up at the matches you dreamt about, and they were all not real rugby league fans.

Oh and the tournament was so uncompetitive that the Aussies didn't concede a try after the first match.

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

The last few weeks have been rugby league as I want it to be. The way the whole event was organised, carried out, and presented was a sheer joy. The players did their bit, so did the fans. Turned up in good numbers, and enjoyed the rugby on offer.

I've always wanted league to be bigger in this country, we need to grow. But not too big that it loses all it stands for. The World Cup fulfilled my vision. It wasn't a sport played out in front of me and a few of my mates, it got exposure, but not the blanket coverage of other sports, where pursuit of the £ becomes the end goal.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and there are so many memories that will live with me for a long, long time.

#7 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 315 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've always wanted league to be bigger in this country, we need to grow. But not too big that it loses all it stands for. The World Cup fulfilled my vision. It wasn't a sport played out in front of me and a few of my mates, it got exposure, but not the blanket coverage of other sports, where pursuit of the £ becomes the end goal.

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't it be great if we could all share a "water cooler" moment with work colleagues each week in the knowledge that they'd probably watched the game as well.  Like you, I don't want saturation. Just a consistent lift in profile would do me. 

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#8 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

The last few weeks have been rugby league as I want it to be. The way the whole event was organised, carried out, and presented was a sheer joy. The players did their bit, so did the fans. Turned up in good numbers, and enjoyed the rugby on offer.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and there are so many memories that will live with me for a long, long time.

My sentiments exactly - albeit as a fan watching on TV (either very late at night, or very early in the morning) in Oz!

Roll on 2017 ! It's gonna be huuuuuuuge !

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

The organisers of 2017 had better start now, they have got a lot to live up to, they need to start talking to Sally Bolton and her team now and start planning now. They are going to have to work hard if they want to top this one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#10 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

The organisers of 2017 had better start now, they have got a lot to live up to, they need to start talking to Sally Bolton and her team now and start planning now. They are going to have to work hard if they want to top this one.

Nigel Wood is talking to Jason Harrborrow as we speak

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Nigel Wood is talking to Jason Harrborrow as we speak

Interesting how Nigel was roundly booed by many in the crowd yesterday, and how people seem to conveniently ignore the fact that the guy at the top of the tree for this World Cup was the same Nigel.

I know many like to pretend that if it goes well, then it is despite the guy at the top, and if it goes wrong, then it's all the fault of the guy at the top, but that's never made much sense to me.

To my mind, the whole of the World Cup team deserve huge credit , and whether people like it or not, that includes Big Nige, as well as Saint Sally.

#12 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

Great OP.  Well said Gerri... and then there's Bostick.. couldn't you find anything positive to say? About the whole competition?

Such a shame that a fantastically positive thread attracts such a negative comment.  Each to his own I suppose.

#13 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'd like to say a big well done to the marketing team as well this year, from the intelligent eye catching design and the use of colourways throughout to the opening ceremony and to the street posters in "strange" places like Bristol
Great stuff.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#14 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Great OP. Well said Gerri... and then there's Bostick.. couldn't you find anything positive to say? About the whole competition?

Such a shame that a fantastically positive thread attracts such a negative comment. Each to his own I suppose.

Oh so everything has to be deadly serious does it, life gets very sad when you can't joke about trivial things

#15 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Well, I enjoyed it which, to be brutally self-centred and selfish, is all I'm bothered about :tongue:

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick, 01 December 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#16 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Oh so everything has to be deadly serious does it, life gets very sad when you can't joke about trivial things

You need help Bostik & you need to get out more.

#17 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Good grief,

Ok here are the positives about the comp. Of the Twelve people I know who went to the final ten we're seeing their first game of rugby live, the other two saw the England Aussie game on tele and booked tickets for Wigan. All twelve will be going to saints next year. All twelve are hooked on the game. I'm sure this is not an isolated example.

I actually didn't say anything negative about this World Cup(the first post wasn't serious) but I was accused of posting a negative comment,
if you think my first post was in any way serious, then please wake up, if you are so sensitive that you couldn't see through the overtly negative comments the perhaps you need to get out more.

Edit: although having seen some post on other threads I can understand that trying to be overtly negative could be taken seriously, so in a way sorry

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 01 December 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#18 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I wonder if now the RFL are going to attract a good sponsor?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#19 StixRooster

StixRooster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'm using my relatively new other half as a barometer here.

She's been to a few Eagles games with me, watched us throw away the  Northern Rail and then come back from the dead to win the GF, but all played out in front of fairly meagre crowds, with a small if knowledgeable audience.

Fast forward a few weeks...she's sat with me at Old Trafford on Saturday, bemoaning how good the Aussies are and how "boring the final is compared to last week at Wembley". We've sat in Capacity crowds at several games and watched loads more on telly. She's as low expressed as they come, but was doing her nut last week when Sam Burgess went over for his try. She marvelled at SBW and even recognised that the Kiwis had to close Thurston down before he started to wreak havoc. For someone who hadn't watched the game before 2013, she's now well versed in things I've enthused about for years.

We've mixed with people from all over the country watching the games we've been to, and it's been nothing less than brilliant.

Get the DVD out NOW!

PS, Are NZ putting a hosting bid in for 2017?

Edited by StixRooster, 02 December 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Other opinions found on Twitter @stixrooster

#20 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Does your new-ish better half have a cute sister?  :)

And yes, NZ and Oz have put in a joint bid for 2017; read to the end of this:

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11165243

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users