RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

USA governing bodies (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

I hope this encourages them to talk to each other and come to a solution..  so much potential... yet so much rubbish going on.

http://www.stuff.co....World-Cup-games

But the USA remains a big issue for the RLIF. While they did extremely well in making it to the quarterfinals, the game is a basketcase in the States, with two rival organisations, the AMNRL and USARL, battling for power.

While Carter sees the potential for huge growth in the game in the States, funding won't come their way until there's just the one national body.

"The USA is not even yet a fully fledged member," Carter said. "They are working on internal structural issues and we certainly want to encourage that.

"The RLIF recognises just one governance body within each nation and there are very clear membership criteria for each country.

"The first opportunity for the USA is to meet that, especially given that they have overachieved at this tournament and we're very keen to see them progress.

"We are also keen to see South Africa once again become a full member and participate in the World Cup.

"There are some people with some very good intentions, but having two groups is not healthy, you really need a single national governance structure and you need pathways for players and officials and that's what we want to see happen.

"We took a conscious decision that because they'd qualified for the World Cup, even with that duplicate structure, we'd allow them to participate and then from this point on give them more help to get that single national identity."

#2 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Agreed! Hopefully things get sorted and sorted soon!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#3 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

Wasn't David Niu supposed to be the divisive figure in US rugby league?  He's moved on so shouldn't it now be possible to reunify?

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

And, presumably, Italy will be in the same boat.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

And, presumably, Italy will be in the same boat.

I do not think the issue is that there are two governing bodies.  Any country can have a second governing body set themselves up, it does not mean that the original should have their funding cut.

The real issue is that the AmNRL is a basket case.

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

There used to be 2 governing bodies in England, with the RFL & BARLA, did we lose RLIF funding? Did we ever have RLIF funding? Do/did we ever need it?

I agree there should be one (+Competent*) body overseeing the game in each country, but if they make exceptions, eg Italy, RFL/BARLA, then they are on dangerous legal terrertory*

*Excuse spellings, please correct if needed

Competant body would not usually describe the RFL. IMHO

Edited by Bleep1673, 01 December 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

There used to be 2 governing bodies in England, with the RFL & BARLA, did we lose RLIF funding? Did we ever have RLIF funding? Do/did we ever need it?

I agree there should be one (+Competent*) body overseeing the game in each country, but if they make exceptions, eg Italy, RFL/BARLA, then they are on dangerous legal terrertory*

*Excuse spellings, please correct if needed

Competant body would not usually describe the RFL. IMHO

Don't agree. If the US can't get themselves sorted, then the RLIF should not give them any of their limited resources. We need to get maximum return for any investment, and spending some of it on the US, whilst they waste loads squabbling is not a good move.

The US are not the key for our game, so rather than waste money on them whilst they squabble, we are better off spending the money elsewhere.

#8 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Don't agree. If the US can't get themselves sorted, then the RLIF should not give them any of their limited resources. We need to get maximum return for any investment, and spending some of it on the US, whilst they waste loads squabbling is not a good move.

The US are not the key for our game, so rather than waste money on them whilst they squabble, we are better off spending the money elsewhere.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I was getting at, I agree with your post 100%

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

I do not think the issue is that there are two governing bodies.  Any country can have a second governing body set themselves up, it does not mean that the original should have their funding cut.

The real issue is that the AmNRL is a basket case.

So, it would appear, is the officially recognised Italian one.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Good to see that the RLIF are finally getting their act together regarding this issue, but really this should have been done 3 years ago.

#11 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Wasn't David Niu supposed to be the divisive figure in US rugby league?  He's moved on so shouldn't it now be possible to reunify?

I know talks are ongoing and that David isn't involved in those but I don't think that he has stepped away completely. 

He tweeted this the other day: 

David Niu ‏@davidniu7

Big year ahead for #rugbyleague in the USA. Make it about 'we' not 'me' boys!! @USATomahawks @amnrl Onward!!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

Personal

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

So, it would appear, is the officially recognised Italian one.

It might appear that way to you.  However, I know I have not been on hte ground in Italy and I am not sure if you have either.

#13 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Is this the same case for Italy (FIRL) since they are not a full RLIF member?  or is it different rules for different nations...

"There are some people with some very good intentions, but having two groups is not healthy, you really need a single national governance structure and you need pathways for players and officials and that's what we want to see happen."

Why does the Italian breakaway get an opposite quote to this like "not in the best interests" and he has yet to talk to them (as far as I know)?

Also aren't South Africa already listed as a full RLIF member nation on their website also... They are a full RLEF nation and it has the exact critera as RLIF. BUT, they do not even meet it - i.e. junior comps criteria point

Edited by CQItalia, 03 December 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#14 Reggie9

Reggie9
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

Definitely need to get it sorted out. Need to just get a club representative on the board with one chair elected out of candidates that step up with that person possibly being from a one of the clubs and not someone else outside the game. Main reason for split in first place was because some clubs felt like lack of involvement.

#15 Reggie9

Reggie9
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Is this the same case for Italy (FIRL) since they are not a full RLIF member?  or is it different rules for different nations...

"There are some people with some very good intentions, but having two groups is not healthy, you really need a single national governance structure and you need pathways for players and officials and that's what we want to see happen."

Why does the Italian breakaway get an opposite quote to this like "not in the best interests" and he has yet to talk to them (as far as I know)?

Also aren't South Africa already listed as a full RLIF member nation on their website also... They are a full RLEF nation and it has the exact critera as RLIF. BUT, they do not even meet it - i.e. junior comps criteria point

I know that they're not a RLIF member as they aren't seen as a stand alone sport from Rugby union in South Africa. hopefully this will change soon!

#16 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

I know talks are ongoing and that David isn't involved in those but I don't think that he has stepped away completely. 

He tweeted this the other day: 

David Niu ‏@davidniu7

Big year ahead for #rugbyleague in the USA. Make it about 'we' not 'me' boys!! @USATomahawks @amnrl Onward!!

He has a fine sense of humour.

#17 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Oh Dear, just saw this on faceache

Joel Venables

I originally got on facebook to promote rugby union and rugby league , so apologies to all my non rugby friends but this needs to be posted so our old Raiders can get the news .

We, The N Y Raiders, an American Rugby League Club,
officially announce on this Wednesday, January 8, 2014 our neutrality
from any and all elected, unelected, self appointed governing boards,...
bodies, organizations, officers, officials, negotiators, agents or
governors and their affiliates. Neutrality aside, we reserve our right
to play and compete in the 2014 Rugby League season. Inter league
politics, detrimental to our sport and team, lead to this decision. We remain committed to forming a forward thinking, transparent, elected
governing body allowing every club a vote in the process, to produce a viable business model structured
to grow and promote our sport.

Sincerely,
Carl Mariuz President
Joel Venables
Matt Sean M. Reilly
N Y Raider Officers
See more

Like · · Share · 8 hours ago ·

#18 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Press release coming out next week I believe which should shed some light on the plans going forward over here. Talks are ongoing still about a merger which I believe everyone is wanting to happen.

• brooza likes this

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

Personal

#19 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

If they reserved the right to play surely that can only mean the usarl who have every right to say fine but er you need to join the usarl. Reserving the right to plays means sod all if you have no one to play
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#20 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

USA get it sort !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users