Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

In the cold, hard light of day....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

England have failed yet again to impress on the World stage!

England played 5 games and won 3, unfortunately the wins were against teams we really shouldn't be considering losing to like Ireland, Fiji an France, there's no disrespect here for those nations.

The 2 we lost were against the 'old enemy' as it were and we held good leads in both games until we fell off our game slightly and the opposition came back and beat us. So basically we won the ones we were expected to win and lost to the teams you MUST beat if you're to win these tournaments!

Why did we lose?

Well for me it is all down to not having the will to keep the intensity of the performance up for the whole 80 minutes, against Australia we got a good lead playing good rugby but then allowed them back into the game and started the comeback which was too little and too late! Against New Zealand we again enjoyed a lead but AGAIN took the foot off the gas and back they came. This time though we answered the call and regained the lead but then with 2 minutes on the clock we had a couple of brain farts.

1. On 5th tackle Burgess made a high tackle and gave them another set in a dangerous part of the field.

2. Captain Sinfield raced off the line and woefully missed his tackle and the equalizing try was scored.

Why do we continue to play men in positions they are not good enough at international level. Sinfield may be OK as a 6 or 7 in Super League but not against Australia and New Zealand. Tomkins, should he be a half back? I know he plays there for Wigan but he would be in the game much more at half back. Why did McNamara play Rangi Chase until the semi then drop him? Why was Danny Brough, Man of Steel, not offered a chance and why were most of the team of the season not considered good enough?

Any Australian would sweat blood to get in the Origin games but when we try something like that we just find the main characters pulling out with knocks an the like. The Exiles game is a joke match, if we want to show we're improving we should be winning that match by 30-40 points because most of their team hasn't a prayer of being in the international sides. Re-introduce the Lancashire-Yorkshire games and tell players if they play the week before an the week after they will not be able to pull out without risking their place in the squad.

Any thoughts?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#2 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Puggy, a very interesting read mate!

But personally, I never knock a guy for trying / having a go.

Yes, Burgess went high, but if the ref had missed it, we'd have said "Good hit George!"

Yes, Sinny went too soon, but if he'd have stopped Johnson, it'd have been "Top tackle Kev!"

England (all 17 of 'em) gave 101% for the cause, and on another day, it could easily have been us celebrating. I'm still hurting from the result at Wembley more than a week on!

Did the Kiwis' efforts against us take too much out 'em, with the way they underperformed yesterday? Perhaps, but I'm not sure, as Cameron's Crew gave us as near a faultless performance that I've seen for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time! The Aussies, were the Aussies!

Lancs v Yorks? It would need to improve huuuuuuuuuuuuuuugely on the last time they brought it back! I went to every game, and none was played at better than three-quarter pace! And, as have you mentioned, the Exiles matches are a million miles off Origin football!

What's the answer? I wish I knew mate, and if I did, I'd probably have McNamara's job!

Back to the World Cuip, and it's been a massive success, and (as someone who has been one of their harshest critics in the past) my hat goes off to the organisers of the beautiful sport we all love!

Yesterday, was the 23rd game I attended in the competition, and it was worth every penny I spent to be there!

Spelly.

Edited by Spelly, 01 December 2013 - 08:47 PM.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#3 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

The semi was the was the most exciting i have seen a true classic.Bitter disappointment is what you get with England, it was always going to be a very hard match to lose whoever lost.

It used to be the same with Hornets until this season, England or perhaps GB will make it in the end.Although i hope its not 92 years.

#4 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Unfortunately a very one sided final with one team playing a near perfect game (in terms of kicking it probably was perfect. Afraid it reflects on the current quality of the sport at the international level - when one team can go through the whole tournament (save for its warm up game) without conceding a try. And all that without expensive altitude training camps in South Africa.

The one other downside of the tournament, which was otherwise promoted extremely well, was the very poor quality of the match programmes. For the second week running the match programme was full of errors - in one place it said that the final was being played at Wembley, in another place it praised the attendences and atmosphere at games played in outlying areas like those played at Whitehaven! Amateurish, sloppy call it what you will. I could go on. Perhaps Brian Barwick thought he was at Wembley (and Whitehaven) - given he is another appointment with no RL roots. Whenever I see him in telly he looks to me like he hasn't a clue where he is. No doubt the company that the RL (or the RLWC organising committee) outsourced these to will walk away with a handsome profit and nothing will be said or done. Seems like its very hard to get sacked for poor performance any more. Why couldnt they use a proper RL savy organisation for this?

#5 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

The one other downside of the tournament, which was otherwise promoted extremely well, was the very poor quality of the match programmes. For the second week running the match programme was full of errors - in one place it said that the final was being played at Wembley, in another place it praised the attendences and atmosphere at games played in outlying areas like those played at Whitehaven! Amateurish, sloppy call it what you will. I could go on. Perhaps Brian Barwick thought he was at Wembley (and Whitehaven) - given he is another appointment with no RL roots. Whenever I see him in telly he looks to me like he hasn't a clue where he is. No doubt the company that the RL (or the RLWC organising committee) outsourced these to will walk away with a handsome profit and nothing will be said or done. Seems like its very hard to get sacked for poor performance any more. Why couldnt they use a proper RL savy organisation for this?

The programme was edited by the guy who edits the Widnes programme.  I thought the programmes were great value and full of good articles.  Looked great too.

As for the rest, a brilliant World Cup.  The semi was one of the best games in decades. 

Well done to all involved, as it shut some of the doomsayers up.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#6 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Yes,I thought there were some great matches,but unfortunately it`s always the final that people remember the most and like the appalling 2010 Football World Cup Final between Spain and Holland,this too was a very poor match,but obviously for different reasons. Not for the first time in recent history,the Kiwis seem to put more into the haka than they do in the actual game. To say they never turned up would be an under statement even if Australia are a crack team,and it definitely isn`t good for the game when one nation dominates so much. Still,this Aussie side won`t be around for the next World Cup,so we`ll just have to hope that the rest catch up considerably in the next few years,or the same thing will happen again.

#7 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

"Not for the first time in recent history,the Kiwis seem to put more into the haka than they do in the actual game"

DD - have you forgotten that last world cup final in the aussies own back yard or the Tri Nations final in Brissie 2 years later.  Kiwis won both with fantastic performances (and Hakas).

Yes they were disappointing on Saturday but they have shown up on many occasions to beat the aussies in the big one (unlike another national team I can think of)

#8 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I can`t forget it Anita because I was at the 2008 final,but that was five years ago and the Kiwis haven`t beaten the Old Enemy since from memory,nor have they looked like beating them. They have some good players,but the Aussies always have their measure when they play the annual Anzac game,so much so it gets tedious to say the least. This last World Cup was treated in Australia very ho hum,not much interest at all and perhaps Craig Bellamy summed it all up by saying he was highly dissatisfied that four of his players would be getting very little break between now and the warm games that start early February. The Aussies have left the rest of the world so far behind it`s not funny and that`s the sad point. The State of Origin games are the only rep games worth watching to them.

#9 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

2010 4 nations final Kiwis beat Aussies in Brissie. Fantastic final.

I sometimes wonder how seriously the Kiwis take the one off Anzac games - but once it gets to tournaments (particularly those down under) no one can question the kiwis commitment.

You say you were at the 2008 final (as was I).  No idea how you can suggest that the aussies treated it as ho hum. They desperately wanted to win it, had prepared accordingly and devastated to lose (another) rugby world cup on their own soil.

#10 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

I said this last World Cup was ho hum,and I`m talking about the average supporter and the media. The games were shown here in Australia on an obscure television channel owned by Channel 7 who never put Rugby League on normally (Aussie Rules for them),and on ABC radio,who always give us fantastic coverage of the NRL,they only had the final on "live",tuning into the BBC commentary,so I rest my case. You`ve got me on that Four Nations Final in Brisbane in 2010,I can`t remember that game. I`m not complaining about the Kiwis as I`m well used to them not showing up when there`s a big game on. The 1988 World Cup Final a prime example at Eden Park when Allan Langer and Wally Lewis(who played for half that game with a broken arm),outplayed their Kiwi counterparts,Garry Freeman and Clayton Friend,who were more interested in fighting than playing the game. And in 2007 in Wellington,when Steve Matai almost decapitated Mark Gasnier,leaving twelve men to put up a token show in a disgraceful 58-0 flogging that the NZRL had the gall to charge mugs like me $72 to watch. So don`t worry Anita,I`m well versed on Kiwi none achievements,the 2008 win a shining beacon amongst the usual dross. So many good players,so little to show for it in the modern era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users