Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Michael Booth pre-Batley

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Just found this on YouTube,it was before he came over to play with us.

starts round about 2.04 into the clip...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yItFAR8Fsms

Edited by il cattivo, 02 December 2013 - 10:08 AM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Came across a few of these old Brisbane League clips featuring Boothy a while back. According to people 'in the know', he was a real star of that competition who would have played in the Winfield Cup were it not for some serious injuries. Also pretty sure that he signed for Halifax around the 1985 mark but that deal was scuppered due to a bad knee/leg injury. We certainly saw the best of him at Batley though, what a class act he was. I think he was at least 35-36 years old when he moved into the stand-off role for us?

Posted Image

#3 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

He was knocking on a bit but was certainly one of my favourite players growing up and had it all.

He was a semi pro boxer back in oz as well i think - Ill never forget the 3 punch combo he landed on a Huddersfield player putting him on his backside in a premiership game up at the Mount when the poor unsuspecting lad squared up to him.

He'll always be a Batley legend, shame we dont have the resources to bring over a boothy or a tommo these days.

I know weve had a bit of success in recent seasons, but for me those 2 or 3 seasons in the mid 90s take some beating for entertaining rugby and dreaming of making the top flight.

Edited by buford t justice, 03 December 2013 - 12:15 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#4 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah true my first matches were bramley at home and didnt ave clue what was happening but was hooked. Was the season we lost to doncaster in a winner takes all. Since then ive been a regular with no regrets .:-)

#5 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

He was knocking on a bit but was certainly one of my favourite players growing up and had it all.

He was a semi pro boxer back in oz as well i think - Ill never forget the 3 punch combo he landed on a Huddersfield player putting him on his backside in a premiership game up at the Mount when the poor unsuspecting lad squared up to him.

He'll always be a Batley legend, shame we dont have the resources to bring over a boothy or a tommo these days.

I know weve had a bit of success in recent seasons, but for me those 2 or 3 seasons in the mid 90s take some beating for entertaining rugby and dreaming of making the top flight.

"Smack 'im Boothy!"

Posted Image

#6 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

Always liked Boothy until the day he found himself out wide defending the slope against Brendan Hill in full flight down the longstand side, Hill got within 5 metres and Boothy simply stepped to one side and let him through, he didnt even put an arm out to challenge him, he just totally bottled it, stepped aside and let him through for the FB to take him on by himself {no contest)

#7 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

i'm quite sure there were plenty before and since did that...i remember quite a few others that day being 'tackle shy' of brendan..not just boothy.

The fact that he established probably the best halfback partnership most of us can remember with glen tomlinson,makes him one of my favorite players ever to wear a batley shirt..granted his tackling wasn't exactly perfect but the amount of organizing and attacking play he set up was quite fascinating to watch.

By all accounts he is now a very well respected coach in the queensland cup.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#8 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

i'm quite sure there were plenty before and since did that...i remember quite a few others that day being 'tackle shy' of brendan..not just boothy.

The fact that he established probably the best halfback partnership most of us can remember with glen tomlinson,makes him one of my favorite players ever to wear a batley shirt..granted his tackling wasn't exactly perfect but the amount of organizing and attacking play he set up was quite fascinating to watch.

By all accounts he is now a very well respected coach in the queensland cup.

No doubting he had a great rugby brain and said brain probably made a wise decision to step aside that day