42 replies to this topic

#41 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

ELO rankings look much better.

I would prefer the use of them.

Or why don't they give the top team 100 points (the top ream should always be on 100 points) and simply move the other teams around them.

Australia 100
New Zealand 89
England 84
Fiji 71
France 65
Samoa 63
Greece 12
Gibraltar 7
South Sudan 5
Mali 4
Bhutan 3
The Cayman Islands 2
Wales 1

Etc etc

#42 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

ELO rankings look much better.

I would prefer the use of them.

Or why don't they give the top team 100 points (the top ream should always be on 100 points) and simply move the other teams around them.

Australia 100
New Zealand 89
England 84
Fiji 71
France 65
Samoa 63
Greece 12
Gibraltar 7
South Sudan 5
Mali 4
Bhutan 3
The Cayman Islands 2
Wales 1

Etc etc

That would be an interesting way of presenting them, but then you lose the comparability between current and past teams - I'd not be able to tell you that England's highest rating so far (1,955) was achieved in March 1929 when they beat "Other Nationalities" :)

www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well, last France - Scotland was... 46-10 for France, two years ago.  34-16 vs Ireland. 20-6 vs Wales. 

Then again, just look at France-Samoa.... they could have won this time, no kidding. Plus, they weren't bad vs England, ignoring the score result. 

They're nowhere near Australia/Kiwi but... just let a Super League team, without the foreigners, like Wigan/Huddersfield/Warrington and see what happen... don't even think about throwing in Widnes, dude. French are just one pro-side... They're Catalans without foreigners, and yet they can hold on some good teams (such as England in the 2nd part of the quarter final game). 

I personnaly think they can beat Samoa and Fiji, maybe not everytime but they absolutely can. 

When i see people spewing their hate on a team just because they hate Frenchmen... come on man, they're just an emerging side. They're not the 4th nation, we're okay on that point, but... they're not "GARBAGE", watch your language man... That's pretty awful to say "theyre just garbage"... they're men, they're rugby league players and they love the game... yet they are garbage to you... 

I agree with you that they can beat Samoa. I was at the game at Perpignan a the score did them no justice at all. They had a try disallows by the video ref for  no apparent reason. In one of the numerous late hits on their halfbacks by the samoans, he got a grubber into the dead ball area and two French players, with no Samoan in sight both managed to try to touch to down  and got in each others way. In another instance, a French player about 15 yards out from the Samoan line ignored a clear unapposed two man overlap but was still only stopped about 2 inches short of scoring.

in addition the Samoans brutal, super late hits on the French halfbacks took out their playmakers, the scrum half being taken off, and should have resulted in a sending off if not two. The Samoan/NZ ref Penara was very biased.  The French defence, not one of their redeeming qualities, also stood strong all night against some fiercesome Samoan forward rushes which had even troubled the New Zealanders.

The French could well have won that game. I went expecting the worse after their game against New Zealand but thought they gave a very good and encouraging account of themselves on the night. The patriotism of the French crowd and the support they gave their team was also impressive. I think they have the basis of a half decent team. They also made England work hard for their win the  quarter final although the result was never in doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users