RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

From The London forum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Post by Gutterfax

TaRL PaRL wrote:Nigel Woods on Sky Sports News this morning
"The RFL are supporting the people who are interested in promoting rugby league in London as much as we can."

male genitals they are!
Has Knock-down Nigel found us a new owner?
Has Knock-down Nigel bought us an "iconic" ground?
Has Knock-down Nigel secured major national sponsors who in turn would attract further investment?

Has he love!

Fat boy will dine out on the PERCEIVED success of the RLWC (less than 1% increase on the average attendance BTW....but that's another matter) and secure himself a job for another 4 years at least. I suspect a sponsor for SL will be rolled out during this meeting in an attempt to ambush Lenagan et al, but in reality, papering over the cracks will do little for the domestic game other than let it (at best) continue to tread water whilst other sports snap up the sponsorship revenue that is available.

The NRL can see the benefit of a team in the capital but a few small minded owners of pit town clubs can't......and there lies the problem. If you want a prosperous NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL game, then support the break away...if you like things the way they were in the 80's, then vote for Nigel.....he'll drive the game forward and by 2016 you'll need to subscribe to Premier TV to watch Superleague......as a semi-professional HKR take on Wigan in front of 4,000 fans in the Brains Faggots Superleague!

I really really hope London go bust.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#2 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

I was the only bloke from Yorkshire and the North in the regiment I was called up for during the Suez crisis of 1956. The attitude of the Londoners was with accuented vowels that we all spoke a very rough kind of speech, were thick and slow witted. The sentence with 'pit towns' in it shows that nothing much has changed. Of course everything in the RL is not right but further subsidy for London isn't right either. A business should be properly run and they have failed to do that. In the games played at Wembley in the World Cup a good proportion of the crowd were from outside the 'pit towns'. This was because the product was right and properly marketed. To be successful you need enterprise and a good product. London have failed to produce these. We love our game mate and if you don't like it hard cheese. Or as the old Londoners would say 'Get wiv it mate'. Break away? You wouldn't last 5 minutes without the 'pit town' clubs.
  • lingard and alderwood like this

#3 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

What's happened to London is an insult to the club that had to step aside and make way for them back in '95. If you are going to artificially promote a side "for the good of the game", you also have to artificially make them a success, but while the likes of Leeds, Saints, Wigan etc thought it was a good idea to have them in Super League over the "small pit towns", they didn't like the idea of giving them any other favours that would actually make them a success, and reduce their own chances of trophies. No, they wanted them in Super League as long as they didn't become more successful than themselves!

The big clubs could have made it work if they had all taken a little less of the Sky money to let London have more, but the only way they would have increased the Broncos' share would have been at the expense of the Championship clubs.

• lingard and alderwood like this

#4 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Here's a story. I remember being very depressed at one time in my life, and I say this not lightly. It was a murky November/December around about 95. I was in this seaside town somewhere on the East Coast, possibly Hornsea, in a sea front pub, everything was a blur, but one clear memory was a Grandstand Cup game, it must have been a JP/ regal cup game, although it could have been any game, the whole set up was a kaleidoscope to me then, with the experimental Super League season etc. One clear memory I have though was Ikram Butt playing for Broncos, on Grandstand . Can anyone remember the game?

Edited by Andrew Vause, 03 December 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#5 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

Will be most surprised if they let London fade away.  It is now a matter of pride and obstinacy. Might just as well thrown the money of grass roots supporters on the fire. 

#6 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

I just can't see how they can continue. If they do get bailed out again we will be here again in 1 or 2 years time. Scrap the Broncos and invest the money in first class youth structures for the Scholars and Stags.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#7 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Says today possible buyer and the Administration is to be dcelayed. Also possible firm commitment for a new ground. What it doesn't say is that how are they going to manage a SL team with no money, no players and the same pathetic support. Support the grass roots as Lingard says and let the game develope gradually witha proper base to work on.

#8 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Bradford back in the mire now i see, did the RFL bother checking anything at the last licence farce they should be made accountable for this mess. We were called flat earthers for suggesting that the RFL would just pick the 14 teams they wanted in the top flight and would do no checks at all, we have been proved right. What was it Caisley said around 1995,?? you were spot on Chris

#9 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

The admin are completely over their heads.Stumbling from one crisis to another. Making and amending rules as they see fit.How on earth an organisation can carry on, and/or exist like this, is beyond belief.

#10 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yes it sounds like the 'old boys club' is at it again. Same one that got us using Stobart instead of receiving 1.4 million. Wheels within wheels and mutual back scratching.

#11 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

If the people of London turned up in numbers to watch the Broncos, then they wouldnt be in the mess they are in.

Sadly they dont, and havent since Fulham emerged years ago and in all their various guises since.

Theres little interest down there despite the apparent surge in the junior game in the south.

Time to stop flogging this particular dead horse and let it rest in peace.

As for the game as a whole, only a handful of clubs can sustain being full time, even with TV money, and I can see a return to the "good old days" of mainly part time RL with promotion and relegation back before long - people will complain and say its a backwards step, but what we have now isnt working, and I bet my bottom dollar it brings the crowds back in their droves to a lot of the smaller clubs.

Edited by buford t justice, 11 December 2013 - 12:40 PM.

• Terry Mullaney likes this
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users